Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: [ooc] the great black hills gold rush

chimchim, I'll post what I've got, and you can let me know if you think it's going to be problematic. His only response is not to throw dynamite at things, but he is kind of like the proverbial man with a hammer where every problem begins to look like a nail....if it can be solved with explosives, that's the tack he'll take.

Jebediah Oxard, Jeb to his friends, was born in South Carolina in 1830 to a cartwright and his wife. Jeb became fascinated by fireworks the first time he saw one go off as a boy, and was determined to learn how to do the same. When the Civil War began, he volunteered to fight for the Union, and also volunteered for the dangerous job of handling explosives, all the better to learn his chosen trade. He worked as a combat engineer during the war, and since then primarily worked for prospectors and miners. Jeb has not always stayed on the right side of the law, and smuggled dynamite when it was illegal.

He is at best an indifferent prospector, but he sees the gold rush as the best opportunity around to practice his craft. His best friend is his mule, Henry, who faithfully lugs around his gear and is a good listener. Jeb knows a supplier back east who he buys most of his explosives from, and gets them at a discount. In turn, his supplier occasionally asks Jeb to do a favour for him.

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 11 [10]

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Per 13 [0]; Will 12 [-5]; FT 11 [0]; Basic Speed 6.0 [5]; Basic Move 6 [0].

Advantages: Absolute Timing [2]; Enhanced Dodge (Dive for Cover) 2 [10]; Reputation +2 (Explosives expert and supplier, soldiers and prospectors, 10 or less) [3].

Perks: Cheaper Explosives [1]; Dabbler (First Aid, Prospecting, Survival (Mountain) and Swimming at default+2) [1]; Efficient (Explosives (Demolitions) [1]; One-Task Wonder (Architecture defaults to full IQ when planting exposives) [1]; One-Task Wonder (Chemistry defaults to full IQ when concocting incendiaries) [1]; Schtick (Can strike a flame anywhere) [1].

Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Duty (Explosives Supplier, 6 or less) [-2]; Flashbacks (Mild) [-5]; Hard of Hearing [-10]; Reputation -3 (Former dynamite smuggler, Law-men, all the time) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Companions) [-5]; Skinny [-5].

Quirks: Attentive [-1]; Broad-Minded [-1]; Careful [-1]; Dislikes Tax Collectors [-1]; Likes Blowing things up! [-1].

Primary Skills: Explosives (Demolitions) (A) IQ+6 [24]-19. Defaults: Engineer (Combat) (H) IQ [0]-13; Engineer (Mining) (H) [0]-13; Explosives (EOD) (A) IQ+2 [0]-15; Explosives (Fireworks) (A) IQ+2 [0]-15; Set Traps (Explosives (Demolitions) Tech/H [0]-17.

Secondary Skills: Animal Handling (Equines) (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Camouflage (E) IQ [1]-13; Freight Handling (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Hazardous Materials (Chemical) (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Holdout (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Knot-Tying (E) DX [1]-12; Lockpicking (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Mathematics (Applied) (H) IQ-2 [1]-11; Merchant (Explosives and Incendiaries) (E) IQ+1 [2]-14; Packing (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Scrounging (E) Per [1]-13; Smuggling (A) IQ+1 [4]-14; Streetwise (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Throwing (A) DX+1 [4]-13; Traps (A) [2]-13.

Background Skills: Boxing (A) DX-1 [1]-11; First Aid (E) IQ-2 [0]-11*; Guns (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [2]-13; Guns (Rifle) (E) DX-1 [0]-11#; Guns (Shotgun) (E) DX-1 [0]-11#; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1]-10; Knife (E) DX [1]-12; Prospecting (A) IQ-3 [0]-10*; Riding (Equines) (A) DX-1 [1]-11; Soldier (A) IQ-1 [1]-12; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1]-11; Survival (Mountain) (A) Per-2 [0]-11*, Swimming (E) HT-2 [0]-9*.

*: Includes +2 bonus from Dabbler
#: Default from Guns (Pistol)

I'm going to have to finish the write-up tomorrow. Any limit on skill levels? I was hoping to take Explosives (Demolitions) at a high level i.e. (IQ+6) [24]-19. This gives him Engineer (Combat) and Engineer (Mining) both at IQ as a default, and Explosives (EOD) and Explosives (Fireworks) at IQ+2. Other skills will include Animal Handling (Equines), Guns, Smuggling, Streetwise, Lockpicking, Scrounging, Soldier, Throwing, Traps.

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 09-16-2011 at 04:40 AM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
chimchim, I'll post what I've got, and you can let me know if you think it's going to be problematic. His only response is not to throw dynamite at things, but he is kind of like the proverbial man with a hammer where every problem begins to look like a nail....if it can be solved with explosives, that's the tack he'll take.

Jebediah Oxard, Jeb to his friends, was born in South Carolina in 1930 to a cartwright and his wife. Jeb became fascinated by fireworks the first time he saw one go off as a boy, and was determined to learn how to do the same. When the Civil War began, he volunteered to fight for the Union, and also volunteered for the dangerous job of handling explosives, all the better to learn his chosen trade. He worked as a combat engineer during the war, and since then primarily worked for prospectors and miners. Jeb has not always stayed on the right side of the law, and smuggled dynamite when it was illegal.

He is at best an indifferent prospector, but he sees the gold rush as the best opportunity around to practice his craft. His best friend is his mule, Henry, who faithfully lugs around his gear and is a good listener (would it be better to buy Henry as Signature Gear or an Ally?).

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Per 13 [0]; Will 13 [0]; FT 11 [0]; Basic Speed 6.0 [5]; Basic Move 6 [0].

Advantages: Absolute Timing [2]; Enhanced Dodge (Dive for Cover) 3 [15]; Gizmos 1 [5].

Perks: Dabbler (Prospecting, Survival (Mountain), 2 others) [1]; One-Task Wonder (Chemistry defaults to full IQ when concocting incendiaries) [1]; Schtick (Can strike a flame anywhere) [1].

I'm going to have to finish the write-up tomorrow. Any limit on skill levels? I was hoping to take Explosives (Demolitions) at a high level i.e. (IQ+6) [24]-19. This gives him Engineer (Combat) and Engineer (Mining) both at IQ as a default, and Explosives (EOD) and Explosives (Fireworks) at IQ+2. Other skills will include Animal Handling (Equines), Guns, Smuggling, Streetwise, Lockpicking, Scrounging, Soldier, Throwing, Traps.
time traveler? ^,^
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
time traveler? ^,^
Times were tough in the great depression, traveling back in time for raw gold ore seems reasonable.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
chimchim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
I was aware of that, but nearly forgot to build it in, thanks.

I've never done the pet thing before...I'm not sure how to charge me for that.
If it is a perfectly normal pet that is easily obtained its free. If you want any kind of special abilities or a rare and unusual creature its an ally or a UB.
A mule who lugs stuff arround for example would be a part of your 80% of wealth property.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
chimchim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post

Jebediah Oxard, Jeb to his friends, was born in South Carolina in 1930 to a cartwright and his wife. Jeb became fascinated by fireworks the first time he saw one go off as a boy, and was determined to learn how to do the same. When the Civil War began, he volunteered to fight for the Union, and also volunteered for the dangerous job of handling explosives, all the better to learn his chosen trade. He worked as a combat engineer during the war, and since then primarily worked for prospectors and miners. Jeb has not always stayed on the right side of the law, and smuggled dynamite when it was illegal.

He is at best an indifferent prospector, but he sees the gold rush as the best opportunity around to practice his craft. His best friend is his mule, Henry, who faithfully lugs around his gear and is a good listener (would it be better to buy Henry as Signature Gear or an Ally?).

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Per 13 [0]; Will 13 [0]; FT 11 [0]; Basic Speed 6.0 [5]; Basic Move 6 [0].

Advantages: Absolute Timing [2]; Enhanced Dodge (Dive for Cover) 3 [15]; Gizmos 1 [5].

Perks: Dabbler (Prospecting, Survival (Mountain), 2 others) [1]; One-Task Wonder (Chemistry defaults to full IQ when concocting incendiaries) [1]; Schtick (Can strike a flame anywhere) [1].

19 is not to abusive a skill level though i would expect anyone with a skill getting close to 20 should have some form of reputation and anyone with a skill over 20 a reputation is compulsory.
I am warming to this concept so long as I do not see anykind of mania disadvantage relating to blowing stuff up lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
chimchim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I made a update, now I have 3 social skills, fast talk, intimidation, and diplomacy.
I am likeing the new disadvatage list. Way more playable and more interesting. Your choices of social skills are good too. I am now busy slotting this guy in. Short of me spotting any errors when i do the detailed study at home this guy is in.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
If it is a perfectly normal pet that is easily obtained its free. If you want any kind of special abilities or a rare and unusual creature its an ally or a UB.
A mule who lugs stuff arround for example would be a part of your 80% of wealth property.
Even if it's Number Seven?

Ha: Grizzly Adams reference for the young.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #18
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
I think I'll go the ally route on this one.
Seems a shame to leave his total point value in the negative numbers (as per the breakdown of "big guard dog" from the book) when I have 37ish points to play around with, so I'll have to boost him up some. Mostly skills stuff.

Am I permissed to raise his IQ by 1?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Ulthar88

hmmm -- I've never been into 'westerns' that much, but Epic's suggestion has intrigued me... and after finding some guides to 19th century medical practice, it started to sound like fun (well, so long as I'm not the patient).

How about . . .
Pericles Overton, born in Massachusetts, 1842.
As a young med student assisting in the casualty tents of the Civil War, he witnessed first-hand the failure of traditional medical treatments. But he quickly became so deft with scalpel and needle that he was doing amputations as quickly and cleanly as the experienced doctors. So they didn't mind too much when he would stay up late dissecting the severed limbs and injecting strange chemicals into them. But when he began using the same chemicals on still-living patients, the more traditional doctors nearly got him expelled.

After the war, his course through school was touch & go, as he only barely managed to keep the faculty from finding out about his continued illegal experiments. After graduating, he was shipped off to a small town that didn't care for him much -- but Pericles preferred to keep his distance anyway, and when he found a black fellow who was none too squeamish about what happened to dead bodies he happily resumed his experiments.

Pericles is a curious mix; on the one hand he is a thoroughly modern physician well-versed in the new practices of medical hygiene, anesthesia, and germ theory. On the other, he believes passionately in the miraculous power of medicine. He is eager to discover the secrets of limb transplantation, curing madness through brain surgery, implanting animal organs into humans for enhanced health and function, restoring the dead to life...

Code:
Name: Pericles Overton

Attributes [70]
ST 9 [-10]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 10

HP 9
Will 13
Per 13
FP 10

Basic Lift 16
Damage 1d-2/1d-1

Basic Speed 5.25
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 5 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Languages: English (Native) [0]; French (Accented) [4]; German (Broken) [2]; Latin (Accented) [4].

Advantages [40]
Acute Taste and Smell (1) [2]
Acute Touch (2) [4]
High Manual Dexterity (1) [5]
Less Sleep (2) [4]
Unfazeable [15]

Disadvantages [-40]
Addiction (Tobacco) (Cheap) (Highly addictive; Legal) [-5]
Callous [-5]
Low Pain Threshold [-10]
Obsession (Long-Term Goal; immortalize self through astounding medical achievements) (12 or less) [-10]
Skinny [-5]
Workaholic [-5]

Quirks [-4]
Dislikes old people [-1]
Dislikes salesmen [-1]
Dislikes superstition [-1]
Uncongenial [-1]

Skills [84]
Biology/TL5 (Earthlike) IQ/VH - IQ-3 10 [1]
Boating/TL5 (Unpowered) DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Chemistry/TL5 IQ/H - IQ+0 13 [4]
Connoisseur (Music) IQ/A - IQ-1 12 [1]
Connoisseur (tobacco) IQ/A - IQ+0 13 [2]
Detect Lies Per/H - Per+0 13 [4]
Diagnosis/TL5 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+1 14 [8]
Diplomacy IQ/H - IQ-1 12 [2]
Expert Skill (Thanatology) IQ/H - IQ+0 13 [4]
Fast-Talk IQ/A - IQ+0 13 [2]
Fishing Per/E - Per+0 13 [1]
Guns/TL5 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+1 12 [2]
Hypnotism (Human) IQ/H - IQ-1 12 [2]
Intimidation Will/A - Will+0 13 [2]
Pharmacy/TL5 (Synthetic) IQ/H - IQ+1 14 [8]
Physician/TL5 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+1 14 [8]
Professional Skill (Distiller) IQ/A - IQ+0 13 [2]
Psychology (Human) IQ/H - IQ-2 11 [1]
Riding (Equines) DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Scrounging Per/E - Per+1 14 [2]
Smuggling IQ/A - IQ+0 13 [2]
Stealth DX/A - DX+0 11 [2]
Surgery/TL5 (Human) IQ/VH - IQ+3 16 [20]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 10 [1]
Wrestling DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]

Stats [70] Ads [40] Disads [-40] Quirks [-4] Skills [84] = Total [150]

Hand Weapons

Ranged Weapons
1  Remington New Model Army, .44 Caplock  LC:3  Dam:2d pi+  Acc:2  Range:100 / 1100  
    RoF:1  Shots:6(10i)  ST:10  Bulk:-3  Rcl:3  $200  Wgt:2.9  Notes:[3]  

Armor & Possessions
1  Fishing Kit  $5  Wgt:0
1  Grooming Kit  $25  Wgt: 0.5
1  Cigar Case  $30  Wgt: 0.1
1  Hip Flask  $10  Wgt: 1
1  Doctor's Bag  $50  Wgt: 2
1  War surplus belt holster $25  Wgt: 0.5
1  box spare cartridges & caps (12) $2.4 Wgt: 3

Surgical Instruments  $300  Wgt:15
Chemistry Kit
Microscope
Bed roll
Rain slicker
Cold Weather outfit

Last edited by Ulthar88; 09-15-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: revised stats for Pericles
Ulthar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
Skullcrusher

His Picture: Shotgun Sam

Spoiler:  

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 09-19-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: revised his equipment and swapped guns rifle point to guns pistol and added spy glass. Added a sawed off stock to the shotgun
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote