Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-23-2022, 02:36 PM   #1
JamieMcK

Default GCA5 Build Campaign Book

In the GCA5 User Reference Guide, on page 49 there is an image of the Build Campain Book window. Under the Delete and Restore buttons are a Save as Book button, a Create Library using Book... button, and a Close button.

When I open the Build Campaign Book window, the window cuts off just under the Delete and Restore buttons. Is there an alternate way to Save as Book? Or else a fix of some sort?
JamieMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA5 Build Campaign Book

It shouldn't be doing that. Those buttons at the bottom are even supposed to be set to be visible over the top of everything else in the window.

You can try resizing the window, and closing the green 'Using Thiis Window' panel at the top, to see if that helps.

What Windows version are you using? Maybe this is another case of Windows 11 messing with how things are supposed to draw?

There's no alternate way from that window, no. The alternate in general is to build the files yourself manually in a plain text editor.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
JamieMcK

I got rid of the green window.
I resized several different ways.

I use Windows 11. It is up to date.

I just reinstalled the program.

The problem is still there.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

So it is probably an issue with how Windows 11 interacts with that dialog. Not sure where, exactly, but we had a kind of similar problem with a couple other dialogs. Nobody has reported any issues with this one before, though.

I don't have any computers that can run Windows 11, so it's going to be difficult for me to try and address this. I will see if I have anybody in my private beta group that has Windows 11 and can reproduce it. If so, then I can try some stuff with their help and see if I can figure it out.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
JamieMcK

I thought I might look at the code related to this issue myself.

In Windows(C:)/Program Files(x86)/GURPS Character Assistant 5/

Which file contains the relevant code for this issue?

I will not alter the code itself. I will copy it and examine the copy.

Thank you
Old 11-29-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

There is no source included. If you want to look at the source, you'll have to use a decompiler to do so.

But it won't help. The issue is somewhere in how the WinForms engine is creating and displaying the engine, and how Windows 11 is handling that versus how Windows 10 does.

I have spent a considerable amount of time re-structuring the dialog in the hopes that doing so will allow it to work properly for you. I just don't have any way to test it myself.

Last edited by Armin; 12-01-2022 at 01:33 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
ashareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcK View Post
I got rid of the green window.
I resized several different ways.

I use Windows 11. It is up to date.

I just reinstalled the program.

The problem is still there.

Try switching to list view instead of icon view. You should then be able to scroll the window.
ashareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:08 PM   #8
Farmer

I'm confused. In the current version of the User Guide, the Build a Campaign Book info is on Page 50 and it shows the Save as Book and Create Library buttons on the LEFT (under available actions), not underneath the Delete and Restore buttons.

When I open GCA in Win 11 I see exactly the same thing when opening the Build Campaign Book dialogue.

Are you using the current version of GCA?
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:13 PM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

This is an older thread, and there were issues with the original dialog. Since my previous reply to this thread, I redesigned the window to work better in Windows 11, and just plain in general.

(And I now have a Windows 11 machine to test on when folks have issues on Windows 11.)