Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
SimonAce

Default Re: Parry Missile Weapons - too easy?

Its not a ridiculous skill, I've done it with thrown objects (not arrows) -- its not easy but the rules are just fine. Also with a weapon its not that dissimilar to hitting a ball with a bat.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Huh? Why doesn't it? I thought Deceptive attack gave a penalty to all defenses?
Because there's no such thing as a ranged deceptive attack, it's actually a "leading shot" you shoot where your target is likely to move to, and hence anticipate his dodge. This is useless on a block or parry, and this is why it's specially stated that it only penalizes dodge.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Huh? Why doesn't it? I thought Deceptive attack gave a penalty to all defenses?
No idea. But that's the RAW. Only reduces Dodge.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Because there's no such thing as a ranged deceptive attack, it's actually a "leading shot" you shoot where your target is likely to move to, and hence anticipate his dodge. This is useless on a block or parry, and this is why it's specially stated that it only penalizes dodge.
Aah right ofcourse... we always just used it exactly as for normal DA, as we introduced ranged DA long before MA. I forgot the officiel rule was different.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Shavrendil

Thank you for all the replies. It seems that the consensus is that PMW is right as it is and I was mistaken - I learn something new every day :)
Shavrendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
No idea. But that's the RAW. Only reduces Dodge.
If you see the part in RAW that explains what a Deceptive Attack is, you'll see it doesn't make a lot of sense for a ranged attack. You can't do tricky angles, you can't do an unexpectedly fast attack, you can't indicate you're going to attack from here and actually attack from there.
Projectile speed is fixed, the attack flies straight, the angle barely changes by a couple of degrees before you miss the target entirely, distance hinders your ability to indicate you're aiming at any particular part, the target can't read exactly you're going to fire (you're just pulling a trigger or releasing an arrow) and thus, it's hard to fake it.
Etc...
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavrendil View Post
Thank you for all the replies. It seems that the consensus is that PMW is right as it is and I was mistaken - I learn something new every day :)
Note that one man's sense of what "realistic" means is not the same as another man's. It's important that your suspension of disbelief isn't blown. If for you and your group 50% chance to parry an incoming projectile is to unbelievable you need to...
a) house rule it so it doesn't spoil the credibility of your game
b) change your perception by looking into the matter and feeling genuinely convinced that it's fine
Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
If you see the part in RAW that explains what a Deceptive Attack is, you'll see it doesn't make a lot of sense for a ranged attack. You can't do tricky angles, you can't do an unexpectedly fast attack, you can't indicate you're going to attack from here and actually attack from there.
Projectile speed is fixed, the attack flies straight, the angle barely changes by a couple of degrees before you miss the target entirely, distance hinders your ability to indicate you're aiming at any particular part, the target can't read exactly you're going to fire (you're just pulling a trigger or releasing an arrow) and thus, it's hard to fake it.
Etc...
But trick-throwing seems rather realistic. Another have already mentioned baseball but you also use it in basketball. And I could easily imagine it with daggers or axes.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
Dalillama

Quote:
But trick-throwing seems rather realistic. Another have already mentioned baseball but you also use it in basketball. And I could easily imagine it with daggers or axes.
It's wort noting that a batter who hits the ball 33% of the time is considered exceptional, which can be considered a testament to how hard it is or an example of what ranged DAs look like, depending on interpretation.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #20
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
It's wort noting that a batter who hits the ball 33% of the time is considered exceptional, which can be considered a testament to how hard it is or an example of what ranged DAs look like, depending on interpretation.
The batter in baseball is also in a poor position for parrying and using an unbalanced weapon.

IME, parrying an arrow with a sword is not exceptionally difficult. Sure it's fast, but so are swordsmen, and the arrow isn't under continuous control as it comes in. I'd rather try to parry arrows from an expert archer than blows from an expert swordsman.

Arrows are dangerous is because they are often a surprise (20' radius battlefield awareness covers most credible melee threats - you need closer to 400' for arrows) and because they tend to come in volleys.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation, parry missile weapons