Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #161
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's possible... but not without making yourself look either like an idiot or guilty.
Yeah, I figured that there isn't enough smoke or anything to hide anything like that. Unless the fire looks like it won't hit the flour I won't make trouble.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #162
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Hua isn't in a great place to see if the flour will effected or not. There is a lot of effort being directed at fighting this fire, but it got a good start before people started fighting it.

Could I get some sort of roll from Daymar to choose the right person and moment to interfere with fire fighting effort on the flour end, especially from the perspective of damaging the fire? may I suggest SF(military), Spacer (at -2), or Psychology?

Hua is moving laser cartridges when she sees Botha directing the removal of hydrogen bricks.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:14 AM   #163
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Could I get some sort of roll from Daymar to choose the right person and moment to interfere with fire fighting effort on the flour end, especially from the perspective of damaging the fire? may I suggest SF(military), Spacer (at -2), or Psychology?
[101] 20-09-29 12:11:57 CEST

Savoir-Faire (Military)

3d6 <= 15
2 + 5 + 5 = 12 ... success

Day also wants to see whether any armed personnel are involved in fighting the fire. If so, he is going to Suggest that "my sidearm is getting in the way, I better put it down", and then try to Filch it in the confusion.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #164
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Daymar sees a few officers directing the fight against the flames, and suggests telepathically that they focus their efforts on saving life support and the laser emplacement. The effort to recover the food is slowed, and efforts won't be made to fight that part of the fire until the other two fronts are well under control.

After a hectic 20 minutes or so, the fire has done most of its damage. The compartments are sealed off, and oxygen is virtually eliminated from the troublesome areas, and a fire break between the effected brick rooms and other flammable storage areas has been created.

Daymar receives loud bullhorn orders to report in. He and Pothi will be working on all the other plasma emitters on the port side of deck 19 and the underside of deck 21 and adjust them to compensate for the hot gasses that are streaming out of the ship. This is not his normal shift, but its all hands on deck, and hot gas venting into hyperspace is very much his and Pothi's job, along with a dozen or so others on the entire ship. You will all be working a long night.

Quote:
[102] 20-09-29 20:45:14 CEST - jonastheredd@gmail.com
observation for Daymar looking for security personnel or officers carrying weapons (vs 13)
3d6
3 + 5 + 2 = 10
Daymar does spot security forces with weapons... but they are not fighting the fire. They are running security, keeping eyes out for who knows what, but pointedly staying calm and detatched from the fire fighting efforts. They are standing in pairs, and have light body armor on.

***********************************************

Daymar doesn't know the timetable, but he's aware that other fires will be set off tonight as well.

Hua isn't expecting the fires to be lit for another 100 minutes. With her fire-suit on, she's able to see her handiwork. The Hydrogen room she had hoped to aim at the food stores had ruptured in a different direction, due to the premature fire. The blast of hydrogen had instead blown an oversized hydrogen torch into the life-support compartment and the bulkhead, still effecting a good portion of the food. Somewhere between half and a third of the food stores were burned up, effecting the flour in about equal measure with everything else. A more conventional fire had scorched the surface of the food as well, and its unknown how much of the food is deeply baked.


Of course, that food is also covered with ash and about to be exposed to the vacuum of space. Transportation and morale will spend a lot of time tomorrow trying to save it.

With around 90 minutes before the next fires, an officer from the motive section approaches Hua, tells her the danger is over, and to find her buddy and hand in the fire-suit.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #165
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Of course, that food is also covered with ash and about to be exposed to the vacuum of space. Transportation and morale will spend a lot of time tomorrow trying to save it.

With around 90 minutes before the next fires, an officer from the motive section approaches Hua, tells her the danger is over, and to find her buddy and hand in the fire-suit.
I hand in the fire-suit (I can't imagine a use even if I could make off with it) and go meet with Botha.

"Hi! I sprung into action back there. Sorry if I didn't meet up earlier."

An acting roll to continue pretending I don't have advanced knowledge:

Quote:
[103] 20-09-30 03:30:16 CEST
Acting
3d6 <= 16 : 2 + 6 + 1 = 9 ... success
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #166
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I hand in the fire-suit (I can't imagine a use even if I could make off with it) and go meet with Botha.

"Hi! I sprung into action back there. Sorry if I didn't meet up earlier."
Botha is with another pair of transport specialists: "There she is!"

Hua still has the fire-suit rolled up, and Botha gestures to it "You couldn't have saved one for me? You must have gone for a suit fast." She doesn't seem to be angry at not having a buddy for the fire, just annoyed. She has reported that Hua was not with her during the fire, but as Hua was found fighting it on the front lines, that won't be counted against her.

The dance is well and truly over, so Botha suggests they go back up to their messhall on deck 2.

Hua is keeping half an eye on the time, and is a little surprised when a fire alarm goes off a good quarter of an hour before it should.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 10-02-2020 at 08:16 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #167
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar receives loud bullhorn orders to report in. He and Pothi will be working on all the other plasma emitters on the port side of deck 19 and the underside of deck 21 and adjust them to compensate for the hot gasses that are streaming out of the ship. This is not his normal shift, but its all hands on deck, and hot gas venting into hyperspace is very much his and Pothi's job, along with a dozen or so others on the entire ship. You will all be working a long night.
Day nudges Pothi and says, "Well, no rest for the wicked, partner. Let's get at it, the sooner we do this, the sooner we can get some rest."

Here's a Mechanic roll for his efforts (not sure if this would be against Stardrive or High-Performance Spacecraft, but they are both against 14).

[104] 20-10-01 02:51:57 CEST

Mechanic

3d6 <= 14
4 + 2 + 2 = 8 ... success
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #168
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

I decide to downplay things. "Eh, it's probably just embers or something from the last fire." I'll also keep my ears open to hear if there are any rumors going around yet (Savoir-Faire?).

Quote:
[105] 20-10-02 18:29:30 CEST
Acting
3d6 <= 16 : 4 + 1 + 3 = 8 ... success
Quote:
[106] 20-10-02 18:41:24 CEST
Savoir-Faire
3d6 <= 14 : 2 + 6 + 5 = 13 ... success
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #169
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Daymar hears the alarms for the other two fires, spaced out by about 20 minutes. Neither of them are nearly as close to the edge of the ship as the other two fires, so he doesn't get more work because of them. The timing feels off though: ideally all three fires should break out at the same time.

Hua also hears the alarms, with only one going off on time. Hua's not sure what caused the early alarm. She could have missed disabling an alarm, or someone could have noticed smoke while traveling by deck 17.

The Rumors start immediately. There are lots of ideas:
  • Dreadstormers are trying to sabotoge the ship so it won't show up in time for a battle
  • Dreadstormers are trying to take this ship tonight
  • Dreadstormers are attacking the food stores
  • Other Saboteurs are trying to weaken and disable the ship.
  • The electricians from the latest refit were working for Jakorbi or the Quinta Republic.
  • The electricians from the latest refit are incompentent nincompoops who only get work because the owner is related to a corrupt provisioner
  • A bizarre hyperspace surge or something hit the ship and little fires will be burning everywhere.

Soon after the third fire alarm breaks out, the spacers are ordered into groups to search the entire ship for fires and fire hazards. Hua and Botha are assigned with a pair from the power section to search the middle aft port (back left) portions of deck 9.

Hua gets some information about the fires as the night progresses. The fire on deck 17 had its alarm go off properly, and given how little fuel was in that compartment to begin with, its intact. The fire targeting deck 18 was mostly based on the compartment below the fire: deck 19. The fire came up through the hatches, and the food was severely damaged, destroying most of it, as well as severely damaging a laser emplacement and a food reclamation system.

Daymar works at keeping the ship in hyperspace properly, and does a fine job. He and Pothi will look important in the next few days. Also, they will look very busy, and be very tired and stressed, and down 2 FP.

In the morning, schedules are adjusted, and the dreadstormers know that the officers are meeting to discuss food rationing, psionic suppressants, the cause of the fires, and hunting down any dissidents or subversives hiding in their ranks.

Breakfast is made from food reclamation pellets today: gritty stuff with the consistency of pet food. The Cooks do their best to make it edible.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 10-04-2020 at 07:36 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #170
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Breakfast is made from food reclamation pellets today: gritty stuff with the consistency of pet food. The Cooks do their best to make it edible.
So is the food suppressant free now?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.