Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
Kale

Default Re: Can we drop dodge and talk parry and block versus bullets now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Given that taking Enhanced Time Sense allows you to parry bullets at -5 with the Parry Missile Weapons skill
What is your source for this? Just curious, as it's something I've been looking for but haven't been able to find. Is it in 4ed Basic somewhere?

Quote:
, I'd say the easiest way you can do a reasonable bullet parrying is such:
Enhanced Time Sense [45]
Parry Missile Weapons Skill ~[64]

Total cost ~109 points.
And so on, which would allow the super with ETS and ATR5 to parry bullets at +6 to skill a la Matrix. Making the ATR limited to parry-only might be worth a -80%, which would mean she'd be paying 20 points per ATR level.
Even so it's still cheaper to just pay for the Parry Missile Weapon skill, but one full level of ATR might be worth it concept wise anyway and that first level gives a +3 bonus unlike the normal +2 progression.
I assume a similar technique for block? In that case you'd have to make sure the shield could actually stop the bullet, which I suppose is a similar problem to making sure the sword mentioned above can survive parrying the bullet as well.
Speaking of the Matrix, how do you handle Matrix-like dodging with this effect? The dodge rules assume you dodge BEFORE the shooter fires, in an attempt to get out of the way of the busness end of the gun. THIS assumes you dodge AFTER the bullet is already on its way.
Does GURPS break down for this? What would you suggest as a workaround? I know dodge has been done to death on other threads for MUNDANE situations and Acrobatics, but I'd like this thread to concentrate on the ETS and Super-hero-level effects please.
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale
What is your source for this? Just curious, as it's something I've been looking for but haven't been able to find. Is it in 4ed Basic somewhere?
4th Ed basic, Page 212, Parry Missile Weapons, under Modifiers, Last 2 sentences:
"You cannot parry bullets or similar high-tech projectiles! (Exception: Enhanced Time Sense allows you to parry bullets at -5.)"

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 12-18-2005 at 01:44 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Speaking of the Matrix, how do you handle Matrix-like dodging with this effect? The dodge rules assume you dodge BEFORE the shooter fires, in an attempt to get out of the way of the busness end of the gun. THIS assumes you dodge AFTER the bullet is already on its way.
Does GURPS break down for this? What would you suggest as a workaround?
It works fine, it's just an issue of Perception.
If you have ETS you can see the bullets, normal people can't.¥

I would treat reacting to a bullet after it's been fired, if you have ETS, as -5 to active defense, with the above modifiers for ATR.
So for Matrix like effects I'd give someone with ETS and the ATR 5 a +6 dodge bonus vs bullets, which should allow them to dodge even machine gun fire.

¥If they're unaware of the attack, they're still SoL, though I suppose giving someone with ETS a -5 Per roll to detect an incoming bullet is only fair, since a normal person doesn't even get a Per roll in that situation.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #14
Kale

Quote:
It works fine, it's just an issue of Perception.
If you have ETS you can see the bullets, normal people can't.
Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Quote:
I would treat reacting to a bullet after it's been fired, if you have ETS, as -5 to active defense, with the above modifiers for ATR.
So for Matrix like effects I'd give someone with ETS and the ATR 5 a +6 dodge bonus vs bullets, which should allow them to dodge even machine gun fire.
If they're unaware of the attack, they're still SoL, though I suppose giving someone with ETS a -5 Per roll to detect an incoming bullet is only fair, since a normal person doesn't even get a Per roll in that situation.
Well, if they aren't even looking in that direction, perhaps still not, unless they have Danger Sense too..?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #15
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Well, if they aren't even looking in that direction, perhaps still not, unless they have Danger Sense too..?
True, but even without Danger Sense if the attack is subsonic, ETS might allow them to possibly hear the attack before it arrives, the -5 Per to notice it at that point sounds fair, especially if modifed by ATR, and other situational modifiers.

Of course most bullets won't be subsonic, so you really should have Danger Sense to react to bullets you can't see.
All Danger Sense does at that point is give you a Per roll you wouldn't otherwise have anyway.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #16
Kale

Quote:
True, but even without Danger Sense if the attack is subsonic, ETS might allow them to possibly hear the attack before it arrives, the -5 Per to notice it at that point sounds fair, especially if modifed by ATR, and other situational modifiers.
Hmm... true. Very low velocity projectiles and the like. Speaking of which, if ETS let's you parry bullets, what sort of bonus would you get for arrows?
What about hand to hand?
Ya know what, I'm gonna turn this into a thread.

Tags
altered time rate, parry missile weapons