Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #1
Nic

Default C4 power?

How do I simulate a power who work as a deplaiabke delaied explosive?

Something like the C4 of Rainbow Six, you deploy it in close range then trigger it.
To my, it look like:

Innate attack Cr
- explosion
- delay (triggered)
- Gadget (It can be destroyed before exploding)

But, the range would be the throwing range? If yes, how to deal with the damage of hitting someone with a block of c4?
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: C4 power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
How do I simulate a power who work as a deplaiabke delaied explosive?

Something like the C4 of Rainbow Six, you deploy it in close range then trigger it.
To my, it look like:

Innate attack Cr
- explosion
- delay (triggered)

But, the range would be the throwing range? If yes, how to deal with the damage of hitting someone with a block of c4?
Do you have GURPS Powers? It addresses this precise case on p. 93, in the course of a discussion of the Create advantage. Explosives appear in a quantity sufficient to cause 1 point of explosive crushing damage per level; if you haven't made them go off in 10 seconds they vanish again.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
mlangsdorf

I think the easiest way to deal with a throwable block of C4 with a remote trigger is an equipment, but that's just me.

If you insist on going through the Power route:
1 lb C4 Explosives Block: Crushing Innate Attack 1d (Increased 1/2d range x10 +15%, Reduced Range 1/5th -20%) [4] and Crushing Innate Attack 35 (Explosive +50%, Fragmentation [2d] +30%, Follow-up -5%, Triggered Delay +50%) [175]

and then add gadget modifiers to taste.

You can throw a block of C4 for 1d cr damage out to 20 yards, and then at some future date you can detonate it for 7dx5 cr exp damage with a [2d] cu fragmentation effect out to 10 yards.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:40 AM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Innate attack Cr
- explosion
- delay (triggered)
Gadget would be a poor fit here. I assume this is meant to be an ability to create a remotely-detonated bomb. Gadget would be for if the character has something they need to carry around with them to be able to create the bombs, rather than representing the bombs themselves. For the latter, note Delay requires you to set some method of disarming the effect before it goes off - "destroying the conjured bomb" seems like a valid option to me.

Quote:
mlangsdorf's build is a clever option, although I believe that would actually make something like a "sticky grenade" - one that, in addition to harming the foe when you chuck it at them, sticks to them to be detonated later. A further Limitation on the Follow-Up, probably -5% to -10%, to have it fall to the ground upon striking the foe would be appropriate. Alternatively, set this as +0% - sure, you can't use it like a Halo Plasma Grenade, but you could throw it into a high window and rely on gravity to bring it down to the level of your target. To make it be "throwing range," simply work up how far the character could normally throw an object like the conjured bomb and set the range as appropriate (you can also do this to set the damage of the first bit).
Old 09-12-2022, 12:17 PM   #5
Nic

The ideia is to create something similar to a C4, like... A explosive paper from naruto or a cristão who explode when someone "vibrates" in a sertain way.

So the ideia is a material explosive who you can detonate at will once armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Gadget would be a poor fit here. I assume this is meant to be an ability to create a remotely-detonated bomb. Gadget would be for if the character has something they need to carry around with them to be able to create the bombs, rather than representing the bombs themselves.
Not sure, gadget can be the object of power and its effect, as a sword who aways come back to you, a arrow who never miss or a indestructible shield, the ability to create it is from the character as he paid for the power, unless it has Unique limitation or something like it.

Quote:
For the latter, note Delay requires you to set some method of disarming the effect before it goes off - "destroying the conjured bomb" seems like a valid option to me.
Yes, that is to simulate the cutting of cables or unenchanging of a explosive rune. It also don't let you destroy the explosive before it's set, so it look ok for a rune but not so for a block of c4.

Quote:
To make it be "throwing range," simply work up how far the character could normally throw an object like the conjured bomb and set the range as appropriate (you can also do this to set the damage of the first bit).
Ye, thats probably how I will do it. Another way look like to be use link in one for a innate attack who is the damage from the throw and another for the explosive with delay.

Last edited by Nic; 09-12-2022 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Had the ideia of the arrow as a example
Old 09-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Yes, that is to simulate the cutting of cables or unenchanging of a explosive rune. It also don't let you destroy the explosive before it's set, so it look ok for a rune but not so for a block of c4.
How exactly do you want this power to function? Does the character literally have a backpack full of C4 charges that he can pull out to use, can be stolen from him, etc? Is he able to simply pull explosives out of seemingly-nowhere and toss them at people? Does he have a predefined number of uses per day, or does he never run out?
Old 09-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
Nic

Quote:
How exactly do you want this power to function? Does the character literally have a backpack full of C4 charges that he can pull out to use, can be stolen from him, etc? Is he able to simply pull explosives out of seemingly-nowhere and toss them at people? Does he have a predefined number of uses per day, or does he never run out?
It's not a especific power, it's about how to simulate the concept of a deployable delayed explosive. If it will be a C4 or a explosive goo is by the player choice, but by the sistem, it all work practically the same.

To have some base, let's say that it's the power to create one explosive device that you can place and then trigger, it must be something you prepare before hand custing you materials and it must be able to be given to someone else use.

So the basis wold be:
Innate attack Cr (impact of the explosive)
- Gadget (It can be destroyed before exploding or being set, also can be given to someone)
- link or follow up (to keep the two effects together)

Innate attack Cr (the actual explosion)
- limited uses (Limited amount of explosives)
- explosion
- delay (triggered)
- Gadget (It can be destroyed before exploding or being set, also can be given to someone)
- link or follow up (to keep the two effects together)
Old 09-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
To have some base, let's say that it's the power to create one explosive device that you can place and then trigger, it must be something you prepare before hand custing you materials and it must be able to be given to someone else use.
That's a bit hairy. My inclination would be to build only the explosive part of the ability, as Innate Attack 1d cr (Explosive* +50%; Follow-Up +0%; Triggered Delay +50%; Limited Use 1, Slow Reload -35%; and Immediate Preparation Required, 10 minutes** -60%) [5.25/level]. Limited Use 1, Slow Reload restricts you to only having one at a time, as well as means you need to pay for replacement materials (weight and price set by the GM). Immediate Preparation Required covers the time needed to assemble the bomb (or make the exploding paper seal, or whatever), then immediately applies the effect (a triggered delayed explosion) to said bomb, rendering it vulnerable to attack (but possible to trigger whenever you want); personally, I'd just ignore the time needed for the Slow Reload and lump it in with the Immediate Preparation Required. Follow-Up here is priced as it would be for a natural attack or a specific weapon - I feel this is appropriate for having it be applied to the bomb you create (it's not a specific weapon, but it's something you have to take time to assemble and is destroyed when you use it, so I think this is fair). Once you've basically imbued the bomb with the power to explode, you can throw the bomb as normal for an item of its size and weight, hand it over to someone else, drop it down a thermal exhaust port, launch it from a cannon (provided you secure it well enough to survive the initial acceleration and terminal deceleration), trick a monster into eating it, whatever.

*Area Effect is generally more efficient, honestly, although I think you need Explosive if you opt to add on Fragmentation - or if you expect to be able to get it inside of a target.
**Adjust the time as fits your vision - maybe the character only needs a minute to make it, for -40%, or needs a full 8 hours of work, for -80%.

EDIT: The reason I wouldn't use Gadget, in case I haven't already made it clear, is because Gadget is meant to be for something where it getting broken is a Big Deal - you may well need to undertake a short quest to find a new one, find a way to repair it, or whatever. The power you're talking about involves a "gadget" that destroys itself, and that I presume you want to be able to use at least once a day if not more often. Gadget is a really bad fit for that.

Last edited by Varyon; 09-14-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
whswhs

Why not use Create (Explosive)? There's probably some way you could tweak it to get the timed delay.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:10 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
The power you're talking about involves a "gadget" that destroys itself
The block of C4 would be a Gadget with One Use Only (1/5th cost). It'll be pretty cheap after the Gadget modifiers and then dividing by 5. On the other hand, it would cost character points for every single attack. The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight probably won't be something that most players would opt for.

If it's important to model the ability of opponents to shoot the thrown block and remove it from the game before it explodes, I'll suggest a tweak to Resistible. Rather than a HT roll, anyone that cares to use an Attack Maneuver gets a roll to prevent the damage -- by shooting the block. Requires (Attr) Roll makes an attribute roll and Hard skill roll equivalent in value, so swapping a skill for an attribute has precedent.

There's an extra limitation in this phrasing in that multiple people can get a chance at stopping the damage, not just the target. But it's going to cost those people their Maneuver, whereas you normally get a resistance roll for free. If anything, I'd say this point argues for reducing the attack Limitation value compared to Resistible. Enemies are less likely to pay for the privilege of making their resistance roll when it comes at such a high price.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote