Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Crzyraccoon

Default Changed stats

So I made my own changed of character stats that I plan to use for the upcoming explorertion campaign. I would like to get some feedback before I get started. There are six primarily and two secondary;

ST +10/level
DX +20/level
IQ +20/level
HT +10/level Originally +20/level then +15/level
Will +10/level
Per +5/level

HP +2/level (ST+HT)
FP +3/level (Will+HT)

No Sense of Humor [-10]

Last edited by Crzyraccoon; 02-22-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Crzyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Changed stats

Will at +/-10 I can understand, as there are a lot of skills and stuff that rely on it, particularly if you're separating it fully from IQ. But why is HT +/-20?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Crzyraccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Will at +/-10 I can understand, as there are a lot of skills and stuff that rely on it, particularly if you're separating it fully from IQ. But why is HT +/-20?
Actually, thinking about it, it shouldn't, originally, magic was going to be common with the PCs with a new type of magic I developed but playtesting it, it was very wonky and it was too complicated for the simple spells it crafted. Every PCs would have mana that was equal to IQ and HT and would cost +2.

I think it should be at +15 points but I'm thinking of keeping it +10 because its an very important stat to the campaign.

No Sense of Humor [-10]

Last edited by Crzyraccoon; 02-21-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Crzyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyraccoon View Post
I think it should be at +15 points but I'm thinking of keeping it +10 because its an very important stat to the campaign.
I've never seen a PC who abused HT. So I wouldn't try and "fix" it myself.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I've only seen one character with more than 13 HT and that was because it was a high end pulp game which had 3 characters, one with IQ 16, one with ST 16, one with DX 16. He felt he had to continue the theme. Unfortunately, we then added a fifth character...

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:48 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

I routinely make characters with HT in the 14-16 range, and as such I can tell you it never feels like I'm getting my money's worth (unless it's a very combat heavy game - in which case I'm not the only person with a bumped up HT).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
HT is actually a super advantage when really high(14+) and in higher point games PCs want a lot of it.

At HT+fit bonus+hard to subdue of 16+, you just do not go unconscious during fights normally even when below 0 hp. Of course trying to do long things beyond the fight time you will likely do so, but typical fights are so few seconds that the probability of rolling 17-18 is really low.

Same thing with being killed if your death roll is 16+, you will have to be hacked down to -5*HP as again the probability of rolling 17-18 is really low.

Further super abilities if you have effective HT 16:
You can run a marathon in about 1 hour 37 seconds and if you have very fit, you can then turn around and run it again before slowing down due to being tired.

If you have even a little bit of speed/move/DX over the base move given by the high HT+DX 10 and thus have move 7, the time does down to 1 hour and 23 minutes(almost 50 minutes faster than the world record).

Alternatively after running the marathon, if you have put 1 point into breath control you can the take on average a 16 minute(12 minute if you had move 7) pause and then run the marathon again, repeating as many times as needed even without fit or very fit.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #8
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I routinely make characters with HT in the 14-16 range, and as such I can tell you it never feels like I'm getting my money's worth (unless it's a very combat heavy game - in which case I'm not the only person with a bumped up HT).
I have never made a Gurps character that I played below 14 HT, but of course that is because all the campaigns where I have been a player in Gurps have had a lot of combat(even the 75+40 point starting value campaign we had I went with HT 14). HT 14+fit gives a basic ability to likely survive when things go bad(as they invariably do at some point).

The second thing in such campaign I try to get up is dodge, and as HT gives half its price to speed, it is a really good bargain. I have always felt that I have gotten way more than the worth from the HT.

(Third thing I try to get up to reasonable values is will, due to the fact that the campaigns have used Extra Effort in Combat rules, where the high FP from high HT also help)
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:34 AM   #9
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Per +5/level
Krommquote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Whereas I can't imagine a game where Per isn't almost the "god attribute." So many other scores and abilities only matter if you blow a Per roll and end up whacked. Per is one of the cheapest investments you can make in PC survival.

Also, it definitely does matter on a per-PC basis. When the ambush cuts loose with arrows, it's the PCs who make Per rolls who get last-minute Dodge rolls. When the wine is poisoned at the banquet, it's the PCs who make Per rolls who don't drink it . . . and then the PCs who make other Per rolls who see their allies trying to subtly make a "Don't drink it!" gesture. And so on.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
HP +2/level (ST+HT)
Why?
Quote:
FP +3/level (Will+HT)