Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Unfortunate Biomods

These would be fashionable bio mods with downsides. Example: Back in the 1970s there were at any meeting of the cool and fashionable (or the wannabes of such) several people who thought large amounts of Patchouli was a replacement for bathing (the horror, the horror). Now imagine modifying skin bacteria to smell as you please. I might have skin bacteria that gave off a pleasant scent of sandalwood with notes of mock orange and balsam. I'd be aware that I would still need to bathe. Others with the same mod might not. (the horror, the horror).

What are your ideas on bio mods gone very wrong.

Note: Some of these are going to be Quirks others will likely be 15 point OPHs.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 03-27-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:56 PM   #2
pawsplay
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

A tiny bioroid that constantly grooms your scalp, just sort of crawling around up there.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:02 AM   #3
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
A tiny bioroid that constantly grooms your scalp, just sort of crawling around up there.
The freak out when the grooming robot becomes visible to the person you're talking to should be spectacular.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:19 AM   #4
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The freak out when the grooming robot becomes visible to the person you're talking to should be spectacular.
Well maybe in a Third Wave culture. Worst a Fifth Wave culture would be is, "You're grooming in public? How gauche."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:03 PM   #5
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well maybe in a Third Wave culture. Worst a Fifth Wave culture would be is, "You're grooming in public? How gauche."
Which biomods with be the most spectacularly gauche?
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 05:19 AM   #6
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

It occurs to me that side effects as well as bad taste can create troublesome biomods. Imagine a biomod that accidentally induced heat or must. Having an on again off again Mega Lecherous disadvantage would cause chaos.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:35 PM   #7
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

Echolocation is an ability that many PCs would want but in the real world there are consequences to having that ability. Picture a form of Echolocation with the unfortunate side effect of giving some people and animals splitting headaches.

Given how many people in this setting have enhanced hearing the possibility that a PCs Echolocation abilities are not only obvious but deeply obnoxious is very real. Think of the fun.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:51 AM   #8
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Echolocation is an ability that many PCs would want but in the real world there are consequences to having that ability. Picture a form of Echolocation with the unfortunate side effect of giving some people and animals splitting headaches.

Given how many people in this setting have enhanced hearing the possibility that a PCs Echolocation abilities are not only obvious but deeply obnoxious is very real. Think of the fun.
Unscrupulous Biohacker: "Echolocation causes headaches? Siri, edit the website! 'Sonofind: Now with Sonic Defense System!'"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:24 PM   #9
pawsplay
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

Echolocation probably requires ears that can rotate. That's why humans are so bad at directional hearing, our ears are symmetric. Fun fact, if you want to locate a sound, trying turning your head back and forth or tilting it to get better triangulation.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:00 AM   #10
The Colonel
 
The Colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Unfortunate Biomods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Echolocation probably requires ears that can rotate. That's why humans are so bad at directional hearing, our ears are symmetric. Fun fact, if you want to locate a sound, trying turning your head back and forth or tilting it to get better triangulation.
Doesn't everyone do that?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.