Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-29-2024, 09:26 AM   #851
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Wow, that was abrupt!

didn't see what?
I didn't see this coming. I expected Julian to get captured, not to change sides. I originally wrote the 2-27 post ending with Julian concluding that Royal and Co. were all crooks, but that he'd stick with them all the same. It felt too confident for Julian, so Julian instead asked Tatim about the Starpus, hoping to prompt him to say anything to dissuade Julian from changing sides. When he didn't...

I don't think it's entirely out of character either. Julian felt strongarmed into things as being cloned seemed to be an inevitability (and so, don't want to be cloned -> get money -> maybe stop cloning?) Slam's bombing suggestion threw him a bit off balance; if it was going to happen and he knew about it, I was pretty sure he'd have given that up to Reena. Besides, if it wasn't abrupt, Julian would have either fled completely rendering it moot, or have been captured making a betrayal look either like a desperate lie to protect the other plotters, or himself.

Quote:
Seven shouts in his ear : "Keep moving! He's right behind you!"
I take out the earpiece. I'm feeling blank.

Quote:
Paullis: "you're going to work with us then?"
I'm not especially enthusiastic. "Yeah..."
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:53 AM   #852
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I take out the earpiece. I'm feeling blank.

I'm not especially enthusiastic. "Yeah..."
Tatim is silent, mentally, for a few seconds, emphasizing the silence. Then Julian hears him relaying the information as he comes around a corner. He has a hand on a pistol at his side, but its not drawn.

"I'm Paulis Tatim. I don't think I know your name yet. Stay here. They're going to arrest you. Its the way it has to happen. I don't think I know your name yet."

Two members of what look like concordance military show up, assault riffles and handcuffs.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:15 AM   #853
TGLS

Quote:
"I'm Paulis Tatim. I don't think I know your name yet. Stay here. They're going to arrest you. Its the way it has to happen. I don't think I know your name yet."
I sit down. I wonder if I've been played? "But I have so many... Julian, Jools, Rook, Sunbeam... What's another?"

Quote:
Two members of what look like concordance military show up, assault riffles and handcuffs.
I look up at them. "The weather's nice, isn't it?"

I cooperate with them.

Last edited by TGLS; 03-02-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:35 AM   #854
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I sit down. I wonder if I've been played? "But I have so many... Julian, Jools, Rook, Sunbeam... What's another?"
Paulis Tatim: "You've got a real name. Just use it."

Quote:
I look up at them. "The weather's nice, isn't it?"

I cooperate with them.
Julian is taken and handcuffed... if you can call these handcuffs. High tech handcuffs... half-comfortable, and very snug.

Paulis picks up the earpiece Julian took out, sticks it in his own ear, and then removes it. They also take Julian's mobile phone. Julian sees it go from live to black. Seven must be able to see this area.

Paulis asks Peter for more details about the location, and about any other locations he knows about. He asks who the entire team is, with all of its members. He asks how Julian got involved in the first place.

"But you're Astropic. How did they know you were Astropic when you failed the genetic tests for it?"

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-04-2024, 09:09 AM   #855
TGLS

Quote:
Paulis Tatim: "You've got a real name. Just use it."
"Then call me Julian Hayden."
Quote:
Julian is taken and handcuffed... if you can call these handcuffs. High tech handcuffs... half-comfortable, and very snug.

Paulis picks up the earpiece Julian took out, sticks it in his own ear, and then removes it. They also take Julian's mobile phone. Julian sees it go from live to black. Seven must be able to see this area.
Well let's start with, "They've got a hacker, Seven. He can see everywhere. You might want to do something about the cameras and such."

Quote:
Paulis asks Peter for more details about the location, and about any other locations he knows about.
I tell him any details I can recall about the aquarium area. I also talk about the apartment (?) that Royal and company had too.

Quote:
He asks who the entire team is, with all of its members.
"I never got any real names. Knuckles, who you had a gunfight with, was just hired on recently. Royal, she's the woman in charge of everything. There's Slam, another tough type, he drove the truck and was following me around when I was leading the seeker around. I've already mentioned Seven, the Hacker. He must have made the fake IDs that were used to get on the station."

"There's Florence, she's a mad scientist. I don't know how else to describe her job. She took care of the Screamers and did experiments. She was with me when I was going to the Starpus tank to talk to them. Her name on her fake ID was Charlotte, and it said she was my aunt, so maybe her fake last name was Harbeski too? My fake name was Julian Harbeski..."

"There was also somebody named Moneyface paying for the whole operation."

Quote:
He asks how Julian got involved in the first place.

"But you're Astropic. How did they know you were Astropic when you failed the genetic tests for it?"
"After the hospital concluded I was an orphan, they handed me over to a Mr. Orgel from Panogoan CPS. After we got on Curry Station, they used a screamer on me to test if I was an Astropic. They had tapped into the test results from the hospital, and picked me out on account of me being and 'interesting specimen' in Florence's words"

"I'd like to say I was reluctant because I didn't want to help them, but I really didn't think it was true that I was an Astropic."
Old 03-05-2024, 08:09 AM   #856
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Then call me Julian Hayden."
Colonel Tatim: "You know my name already, somehow, but I generally go by Colonel Tatim. I'm happy you're cooperating with us Julian. That will help you out a lot."

Quote:
Well let's start with, "They've got a hacker, Seven. He can see everywhere. You might want to do something about the cameras and such."
Captor: "we're not going to contest that. Too much collateral damage."

Quote:
I tell him any details I can recall about the aquarium area. I also talk about the apartment (?) that Royal and company had too.

"I never got any real names. Knuckles, who you had a gunfight with, was just hired on recently. Royal, she's the woman in charge of everything. There's Slam, another tough type, he drove the truck and was following me around when I was leading the seeker around. I've already mentioned Seven, the Hacker. He must have made the fake IDs that were used to get on the station."

"There's Florence, she's a mad scientist. I don't know how else to describe her job. She took care of the Screamers and did experiments. She was with me when I was going to the Starpus tank to talk to them. Her name on her fake ID was Charlotte, and it said she was my aunt, so maybe her fake last name was Harbeski too? My fake name was Julian Harbeski..."

"There was also somebody named Moneyface paying for the whole operation."
Col Tatim: "You don't know anyone's real names then? A shame. Its to be expected, I suppose."

Quote:
"After the hospital concluded I was an orphan, they handed me over to a Mr. Orgel from Panogoan CPS. After we got on Curry Station, they used a screamer on me to test if I was an Astropic. They had tapped into the test results from the hospital, and picked me out on account of me being and 'interesting specimen' in Florence's words"

"I'd like to say I was reluctant because I didn't want to help them, but I really didn't think it was true that I was an Astropic."
Col Tatim: "You didn't think you were astropic? I suppose that's a surprise."

He speaks to someone privately on a phone for a moment.

Col Tatim: "I just got your records. Yeah, they missed you were Astropic. I suppose you're lucky, in some way, these crooks and cloners found you. I just hope the starpus you convinced to go with you are safe. I still don't know how they knew. Might be worth capturing this mad scientist of yours."

They keep asking questions about exactly what happened, and details about the operation, including what exactly he said to the starpus.

Col Tatim: "They say it will help."

After about 10 or 15 minutes, Tatim says: "They got away. Must have seen you give them away. You could have been a lot more stealthy about your cooperation. Starpus are still missing. You don't have anything else you can offer, do you?"

Old 03-05-2024, 08:47 AM   #857
TGLS

Quote:
Col Tatim: "You didn't think you were astropic? I suppose that's a surprise."
"Given I thought I fell off a cliff to certain death before waking in the tank room, I think looking at the answer of, 'you're crazy', and assuming that's right is pretty reasonable."

Quote:
Col Tatim: "I just got your records. Yeah, they missed you were Astropic. I suppose you're lucky, in some way, these crooks and cloners found you. I just hope the starpus you convinced to go with you are safe. I still don't know how they knew. Might be worth capturing this mad scientist of yours."
"Probably less so now that I'm not there. If they can find another, then maybe?"

Quote:
They keep asking questions about exactly what happened, and details about the operation, including what exactly he said to the starpus.
I remember I forgot to mention about how we tried to bribe Reena earlier. "She wasn't cooperative, but I don't think she said anything?"
Quote:
After about 10 or 15 minutes, Tatim says: "They got away. Must have seen you give them away. You could have been a lot more stealthy about your cooperation."
"Would you have believed me if I told you everything while running? I suppose I could have changed sides earlier too."
Quote:
"Starpus are still missing. You don't have anything else you can offer, do you?"
"Not really... I suppose things don't look too good for me now."

I try making a sound like a seeker. Maybe I could detect the Starpus?
Old 03-06-2024, 09:04 AM   #858
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Given I thought I fell off a cliff to certain death before waking in the tank room, I think looking at the answer of, 'you're crazy', and assuming that's right is pretty reasonable."
Col Tatim: "You're not crazy, the medical report explicitly indicates otherwise. You're just confused."

Quote:
"Probably less so now that I'm not there. If they can find another, then maybe?"
I'm not 100% sure what this means. If Royal and crew find another astropic the starpus will be safe?

Quote:
I remember I forgot to mention about how we tried to bribe Reena earlier. "She wasn't cooperative, but I don't think she said anything?"
Col Tatim laughs, and says astropicly: "we can talk with each other silently, remember? She knew you couldn't hear what she was saying, just speak loudly enough for her to hear. And then she told me everything."

Quote:
"Would you have believed me if I told you everything while running? I suppose I could have changed sides earlier too."
Col Tatim: "We could have worked a deception out"

Quote:
"Not really... I suppose things don't look too good for me now."
Col Tatim: "Worth checking".

Quote:

I try making a sound like a seeker. Maybe I could detect the Starpus?
You listen hard afterwards, and hear a little "Pingback"... you have a direction. And maybe a vauge distance.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 AM   #859
TGLS

Quote:
Col Tatim: "You're not crazy, the medical report explicitly indicates otherwise. You're just confused."
"But I should have suffocated, or burned, or been pulverized when I hit the water... "
Quote:
I'm not 100% sure what this means. If Royal and crew find another astropic the starpus will be safe?
Well with less certainty, but more or less. "Without an Astropic the Starpus are useless to them. Might even need to use Screamers to move them around"
Quote:
Col Tatim laughs, and says astropicly: "we can talk with each other silently, remember? She knew you couldn't hear what she was saying, just speak loudly enough for her to hear. And then she told me everything."
"Well, that explains how everything came together."
Quote:
Col Tatim: "We could have worked a deception out"
I feel bad. I'm just a stupid kid out of his depth...
Quote:
Col Tatim: "Worth checking".

You listen hard afterwards, and hear a little "Pingback"... you have a direction. And maybe a vauge distance.
I point. "They're... I think they're that way. They're far."

I suppose Tatim might not understand or believe Julian.

I grab my pen and make it levitate. "I think I'm like a seeker. I heard something that way, but really quiet..."
Old 03-07-2024, 09:34 AM   #860
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"But I should have suffocated, or burned, or been pulverized when I hit the water... "
Col Tatim: "You're just confused. Probably didn't happen."

Quote:
Well with less certainty, but more or less. "Without an Astropic the Starpus are useless to them. Might even need to use Screamers to move them around"
Col Tatim: "They were useless before, unless they had a ship. Did they ever have a ship? And its still a crisis. They're certainly capable of kidnapping and blackmailing another astropic."

Quote:
I point. "They're... I think they're that way. They're far."

I suppose Tatim might not understand or believe Julian.

I grab my pen and make it levitate. "I think I'm like a seeker. I heard something that way, but really quiet..."
"Huh? how do you know?"

"That doesn't prove you're a seeker. That's a starpus action..."

Something dawns on him.

"You're not astropic, are you? not really. Not like me and the rest of my clan. I mean, you can do all of it, but they use a genetic test in the hospitals. Panogos probably made you. Or someone."

Tags
lost in dreams