Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2024, 10:02 AM   #1
RyanW

Default Innate attack with special death effect

I was thinking of making some special attacks that, if they kill the target, do something unusual to the corpse. Say, turn it to stone, irradiated goo, a scattering swarm of butterflies...

Should there always be a cost to that, and how would you price it? I think it's obvious there should at least sometimes be, if the result itself becomes a power (Yeah, my laser turns people into solid gold/antimatter/a swarm of nanites that obey my commands). But it's much less obvious how much net benefit there is to leaving behind a statue made of stone instead of a floppier one made of meat.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Innate attack with special death effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I was thinking of making some special attacks that, if they kill the target, do something unusual to the corpse. Say, turn it to stone, irradiated goo, a scattering swarm of butterflies...

Should there always be a cost to that, and how would you price it? I think it's obvious there should at least sometimes be, if the result itself becomes a power (Yeah, my laser turns people into solid gold/antimatter/a swarm of nanites that obey my commands). But it's much less obvious how much net benefit there is to leaving behind a statue made of stone instead of a floppier one made of meat.
You could probably do this by fudging the Symptoms enhancement, but I'm not sure if that would be the best way to go about it.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 10:44 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Generally it's a perk. There are several of these where if you kill somebody his corpse explodes or something into a gruesome mess, and most other things would be similar. As long as the effect only happens after a failed death check and doesn't affect anything but the corpse, what your attack leaves the corpse looking like is arguably a zero point special effect, though I'd usually bump it to a perk on the grounds you're probably taking it because you think there is something useful to be gotten from it.

The special cases would be:
It makes the victim harder to resurrect. I might charge you extra for that if raising the dead is very common and there is no easy way to prevent it, but that'd be a rare setting. Still usually a perk, compare Rest in Pieces
and It creates a hazard to other people in the vicinity, like an actual damaging explosion or creating a pool of radioactive goo. That's an area effect innate attack with a rare illegal trigger condition (kill somebody), bought separately.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:13 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Generally it's a perk.
Solid agreement here for most of your examples. Maybe tie it to the level of damage. Ie only turn into goo or butterflies at -10*HT (complete destruction).
I built a Reapers death blow ability to take a soul as adding Lay to Rest perk on another attack in GURPS Template Toolkit 4: Spirits.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 05:28 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

Seems like an affliction with follow-up plus a perk of some kind (or Alternate Form if you GM is feeling mean).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 05:42 PM   #6
Anthony

It's basically Symptoms (turns to X when dead). Usually, that's a quirk, so it's a 1% enhancement, which for practical purposes you can ignore. If it's actually meaningfully worse than just being dead, model it on Fragile.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:36 PM   #7
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The special cases would be:
It makes the victim harder to resurrect. I might charge you extra for that if raising the dead is very common and there is no easy way to prevent it, but that'd be a rare setting. Still usually a perk, compare Rest in Pieces
and It creates a hazard to other people in the vicinity, like an actual damaging explosion or creating a pool of radioactive goo. That's an area effect innate attack with a rare illegal trigger condition (kill somebody), bought separately.
What originally inspired this line of thought was the idea of using a flesh-to-stone effect on enemies in a narrow corridor. And the idea of "transformation on death" popped into my head as an alternative to a permanent Affliction.

Might be interesting to combine it with Symptoms, as your body gets stiffer and heavier (turning to stone) as the damage racks up.