Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
BaronVonStevie

Default my "GURPS: Star Trek" game

first a nice teaser poster... to engage you. Consider it under construction.

Been working on this for a couple weeks now. The Abrams film has inspired me for sure. Some campaign notes...

1. Setting in the Abrams-verse just after the events of the film. I want to capture that intrepid, swashbuckling spirit of Abrams' recreation. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2. The biggest risk I'm taking with this is in marrying the GURPS skills with a modified version of Last Unicorn's star trek ship combat. I'll post more later on the basics of how the system works, what I've done to it, and why. I have tested it all a couple of times.

3. Starting at 120 points. Taking another cue from the Last Unicorn game, I plan to have racial, personal, and professional development be a step by step process. Star Fleet Academy, for example, is a pair of 20 point templates (one for basic training and one for a field of expertise). I'll be posting some of these templates as well. Everyone makes one character and I fill out the rest of the command staff. No more than one or two aliens.

4. Players will also select an actor or actress to cast as their character. I think it'll add to the tv show/movie feel of everything.

5. Using many cinematic rules to achieve a unique star trek style of gameplay and story telling. I'll flesh this out here for you all.

feedback appreciated.
BaronVonStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: my "GURPS: Star Trek" game

What's racial development?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
BaronVonStevie

what your race gives you. a klingon's high pain threshold or a vulcan's vow to show no emotion for example. you might pay 40 points to play a tellarite or 30 to play a romulan and get a package of racial qualities.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Witchking

Gee I am flattered but LA is a bit of a drive for me....
Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
BaronVonStevie

already got players, haha.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
what your race gives you. a klingon's high pain threshold or a vulcan's vow to show no emotion for example. you might pay 40 points to play a tellarite or 30 to play a romulan and get a package of racial qualities.
Ah, gotcha. I was thinking you meant some sort of post-creation progression, sorry.

Here's my Andorian write-up from our Trek game in case you need one (It's cheap enough for affordability at your proposed power level, and IMHO accurate):

Andorians [15 points]:

Attribute Modifiers: None [0]

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: None [0]

Advantages: Fearlessness +1 [2]; Perfect Balance (Biological* -5%, Breakable w/ DR 0 / SM -6 -30%) [10]; Vibration Sense (Air) [10]

Disadvantages: Dull [-1]; OPH -1 (Very Little Sense of Humor) [-5]; Proud [-1]

Features: Temperature Comfort Zone 10F-65F [0]

Notes: Biological mod given at half value on Perfect Balance because it is susceptible to pharmaceutical and surgical countermeasures but doesn't cost FP. No Breakable discount on Vibration Sense because vulnerability to physical injury is the norm with sense organs IMHO.

Good luck!
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Juballa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
4. Players will also select an actor or actress to cast as their character. I think it'll add to the tv show/movie feel of everything.
Neat. I'd be interested in hearing how this part in particular goes.

If you have any Photoshop Heroes in your group, you could actually put together a decent "cast photo" in uniform, with ears/forehead ridges/etc.
Juballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
LemmingLord

For 120 point characters I would suggest you allow some bang! skills. Captain! Science Officer! Communications Officer! Helm/Navigator! Engineer! Doctor! would be my suggestions. :)
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
BaronVonStevie

Quote:
For 120 point characters I would suggest you allow some bang! skills. Captain! Science Officer! Communications Officer! Helm/Navigator! Engineer! Doctor! would be my suggestions. :)
I thought about that. i think the flexibility of what i'm trying works well enough... let me show you an example of what I mean. let's say a character goes to the academy. he/she gets both...

Starfleet Academy: Basic Training (20 pts)
Attributes: IQ +1 [20].
Advantages: Fit [5], Reputation (keeper of galactic peace, +1 all the time) [5].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Prime Directive) [-1], Duty (Starfleet Officer, hazardous) [-20].
Primary Skills: none [0].
Secondary Skills: Beam Weapons (pistols) DX [1], Computer Use IQ [1], Piloting (high performance space craft) DX [2], Savoir Faire (military) IQ [1], star fleet martial arts style (brawling, judo, style familiarity) [3], Spacer IQ [1], Survival Per [2].
Background Skills: none [0].

and might specialize in...

Starfleet Academy: Helmsman (20 pts)
Primary Skills: Electronic Operation (sensors) IQ [2], Navigation (space) IQ [2].
Secondary Skills: Electronic Operation (force shields) IQ [2], Electronic Repair (shields) IQ [2], Electronic Repair (sensors) IQ [2], add 10 points.
Background Skills: none [0].

this is after 80 points worth has been invested in racial makeup or personal background. This way for example, Pavel Chekov might be better at math and navigation while Hikaru Sulu can steer better and captains the fencing team even though they went to the academy for the same ship position.

Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-05-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
BaronVonStevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juballa View Post
Neat. I'd be interested in hearing how this part in particular goes.

If you have any Photoshop Heroes in your group, you could actually put together a decent "cast photo" in uniform, with ears/forehead ridges/etc.
that's a good idea. one of my players has said he considers jude law a possibility for a science officer or a doctor. stick his head on spock's body and you might have a winner :p

Tags
star trek