Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default [Spaceships] Star Trek Ships

Someone asked me to stat out a few Star Trek ships using Spaceships for their DS9 game. I decided to start off with the workhorse: the Danube-class Runabout. However, I've run into a snag -- I'm not sure about a few of the systems.

Here's what I have so far:

TL: 12^
SM: +6
Loaded Mass: 100 tons
Length: 23.1 m
dST/HP: 30
Hnd/SR: 0/4
Streamlined: Yes

Front:
[1] Armor, Exotic Laminate: dDR 20; $2M
[2] Control Room: Complexity 9 computer; Comm/Sensor 7, 2 control stations; 0 workspaces; $200K
[3] Enhanced Comm/Sensor Array: Array Level 9; 0 workspaces; $200K
[4] Passenger Seating: 6 seats; $30K
[5!] Weapons, Medium Battery: 3 type 4 phasers; damage 4dx10; beam output 10MJ; 0 workspaces; $600K
[6!] Weapons, Medium Battery: 3 type 4 phasers; damage 4dx10; beam output 10MJ; 0 workspaces; $600K
[core]

Middle:
[2] Cargo Hold: 5 tons
[3!] Light Force Screen: dDR 50; $1.5M; 0 workspaces
[4] Habitat: 2 cabins; 0 workspaces; $300K
[5] Weapons, Medium Battery: 2 micro-photon torpedo launchers, 1 left over; damage 4dx10; launcher caliber 20 cm; missile shots 7; 1.5 tons cargo; $400K
[6!] Replicator: 1.5 lbs/hr; 0 workspaces; $100M
[core]

Rear:
[2!] Contragravity Lifter: 0 workspaces; $1M
[3] Engine Room: 1 workspace, $30K
[4!] Super Reactionless Engine: $600M; 100G acceleration
[5!] Stardrive, Warp Drive: 0 workspaces; $1M
[6]
[core] Power Plant, Total Conversion: 5 PP; unlimited endurance; 0 workspaces; $6M

Features:
Artificial Gravity: $100K
Gravatic Compensator: $100K

Switches:
Force Screen Variants: Hardened; Reality-Stabilized
FTL Comm
FTL Active Sensor
Multiscanner Array

Crew: 2 Control Room (Pilot and Co-Pilot/Gunner); 1 Engine Room (Engineer)
Passengers: 6

What I'm missing is one core system and one additional rear system. I don't think the Runabout has much "open space". Thoughts?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 04-22-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Hyrneson

Default Re: [Spaceships] Star Trek Ships

One thing you need to remember, btw, is that the nature of what a warp engine is changed from TOS to TNG.
In TNG they became propulsion units, in TOS they generated power and also propelled.

Also, don't try to assign a flat TL to the ship. Trek is a great example of different TL development in different areas (ie; computers, weapons, propulsion, shielding, transporters, etc...)

RH
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Rowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Someone asked me to stat out a few Star Trek ships using Spaceships for their DS9 game. I decided to start off with the workhorse: the Danube-class Runabout. However, I've run into a snag -- I'm not sure about a few of the systems.

Here's what I have so far:

Streamlined: Yes

Front:
[2] Control Room: Complexity 9 computer; Comm/Sensor 7, 2 control stations; 0 workspaces; $200K
[5!] Weapons, Medium Battery: 3 type 4 phasers; damage 4dx10; beam output 10MJ; 0 workspaces; $600K
[6!] Weapons, Medium Battery: 3 type 4 phasers; damage 4dx10; beam output 10MJ; 0 workspaces; $600K
[core]

Middle:
[2] Cargo Hold: 5 tons
[3!] Light Force Screen: dDR 50; $1.5M; 0 workspaces
[4] Habitat: 2 cabins; 0 workspaces; $300K
[5] Weapons, Medium Battery: 2 micro-photon torpedo launchers, 1 left over; damage 4dx10; launcher caliber 20 cm; missile shots 7; 1.5 tons cargo; $400K
[core]

Rear:
[6]
[core] Power Plant, Total Conversion: 5 PP; unlimited endurance; 0 workspaces; $6M

Features:

Switches:
FTL Comm
FTL Active Sensor
Multiscanner Array

What I'm missing is one core system and one additional rear system. I don't think the Runabout has much "open space". Thoughts?
these links should help a lot if you don't already have them:

http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...c/runabout.htm
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Danube_class

Basically the Runabout is a modular ship. It's really just got the cockpit with 4 crew positions. Con, Navigation, Science and Engineering stations (all of them having a 'seat'), then right behind it is a small space for the two person transporter, behind it is a door, going through that leads to a big 'empty' space room (where most of the modules can go), at the end of the big empty room there's another door that leads back to a 'crew' lounge. As you enter their are two small bunks on either side of the wall with privacy curtains, to your right a little further in is a food replicator in a wall, to the left, a little further in past the bunks on the left side is a chair with a computer station, and in the 'center' of the room is a small table with 4 chairs.

That the basic layout of the ship. It also only seems to have one phaser emitter, and two torpedo tubes with one micro photon torpedo each loaded inside. It also seems to be 25 yards long, which I think 'might' hedge it into SM +7

All in all it's a cute little ship. I wonder if Starfleet would sell that at surplus stores. :D What a neat PC starter ship!

Last edited by Rowan; 12-10-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Basically the Runabout is a module ship. It's really just got the cockpit with 4 crew positions. Con, Navigation, Science and Engineering stations (all of them having a 'seat'), then right behind it is a small space for the two person transporter, behind it is a door, going through that leads to this big 'empty' space room (where most of the modules can go), at the end of the big empty room their's another door that leads back to a 'crew' lounge. As you enter their are two small bunks on either side of the wall with privacy curtains, to your right a little further in is a food replication in a wall, to the left, a little further in past the bunks on the left side is a chair with a computer station, and in the 'center' of the room is a small table with 4 chairs.

That the basic layout of the ship. It also only seems to have one phaser emmiter, and two torpedo tubes with one micro photo torpedo each loaded inside. It also seems to be 25 yards long, which I think 'might' hedge it into SM +7

All in all it's a cute little ship. I wonder is Starfleet would sell that at surplus stores. :D What a neat PC starter ship!
Yes, it is a nice starter ship. I wasn't aware that it had a transporter on it; that and a modular unit, coupled with a reshuffling of locations, should do me nicely. Thanks.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Phantasm

Here's what I've come up with. Pick apart, please!

Danube-class Runabout
Streamlined: No

Front:
[core]

Middle:
[2] Habitat: 2 cabins, 1 bunk, 1 teleport projector; 0 workspaces; $320K
[3] Reconfigurable System: 0 workspaces; $1M
[4] Reconfigurable System: 0 workspaces; $1M
[5] Weapons, Medium Battery: 2 micro-photon torpedo launchers, 1 left over; damage 4dx10; launcher caliber 20 cm; missile shots 7; 1.5 tons cargo (extra torps); $400K
[core] Reconfigurable System: 0 workspaces; $1M

Rear:
[6!] Light Force Screen: dDR 50; $1.5M; 0 workspaces

Features:

Switches:
FTL Comm
FTL Active Sensor
Multiscanner Array

Cost: $720M new

The most common uses of the Reconfigurable Systems are as Cargo Hold, Passenger Seating, and Habitat.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
thtraveller

Looking at the deckplans I think it needs two star drives - at least so you can say "target port nacelle" ;-)
Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
insane

this game rox :P
insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
[[4!] Super Reactionless Engine: $600M; 100G acceleration

Cost: $720M new
I suspect that Trek tech assumptions make those two systems cheaper.

Spending 83% of the cost of the ship on the STL engines is very odd in a craft who's primary mode of transport is FTL.

Spending 14% of the cost of the ship on the galley/machine shop for a short endurance scout is also not a great idea.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
elustran

Super reactionless is actually $600k. The listed cost is a typo. However, you may want to consider using a super-conversion torch drive instead, since I recall that most impulse drives have exhaust.

I'd use two spaces for the warp drive.

The Star-Trek power plant type is clearly an anti-matter reactor.

You should probably only use one space for the phaser banks.

For the replicator system, maybe use one cabin-sized space, treat it's production ability as though it's an instant nanofactory, and don't multiply it's cost by x20... maybe by x2.

The runnabouts don't have 'reconfigurable systems' - they don't morph or transform. Instead, use two spaces for cargo have one open space. These spaces are perhaps 'modular' to some extent, in that Starfleet engineers might bolt down some equipment in the cargo bays.
elustran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elustran
Super reactionless is actually $600k. The listed cost is a typo. However, you may want to consider using a super-conversion torch drive instead, since I recall that most impulse drives have exhaust.
They have exhaust, but as far as I know, it's not reaction exhaust. They're not throwing it backwards to get thrust, they're just venting the waste products from the reactor, or something. Or, at least, so said the TNG Technical Manual. Like all statements about Star Trek technology, it's probably been contradicted by some other source. :-)
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships, star trek