Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Flip side of "Pact"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
So I see both Maximum Duration: one month (-0%) and Terminal Condition: skill roll can discover but difficult to arrange (-5%) applying. Trigger: injury (-15%) also is required...

However, since there is no damage amount now (with the feature described in the quote above) how is the threshold for the check handled? (perhaps make it cosmic to ignore the 3d vs HP and then Requires Will or HT check? or would Required Attribute check override the normal means?) Finally, if I want the change to go into effect immediately (instead of 2d days like Dominate normally does) would this be reduced time, and if so would I buy down the average result? (which would be buying it down from 7 days)
Use Costs HP instead of Trigger. That you bleed yourself is just a special effect. If you want to be as close as possible to RAW, just add a No Wounding Toxic Attack, with enough dice to effectively ensure success. As for Reduced Time, yes, go off the average.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #12
Dwarf99

I like Kromm's solution personally.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I like Kromm's solution personally.
So do I but it seems to leave holes... like requiring an attack... which my questions are trying to fix for my application of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Use Costs HP instead of Trigger. That you bleed yourself is just a special effect. If you want to be as close as possible to RAW, just add a No Wounding Toxic Attack, with enough dice to effectively ensure success. As for Reduced Time, yes, go off the average.
No, Costs HP and requiring injury are not the same thing. I am referring to the following part of the Reversed Blood Agent limitation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-Ups 8: Limations, p 12
For abilities that aren’t attacks, such as personal advantages that activate automatically after you’re hurt, use Trigger, Injury (-15%) instead.
Basically indicating that you have to hurt yourself (bleed) but not enough to matter in the long run. or... is that covered in Dominance where it says "The GM is free to impose additional conditions for infection" and thus no limitation value for that?

So I also need to add in reduced time which... to reduce it from 7 days (604,800 seconds) to 1 second would be a +400% enhancement! Ack!

I'm really hoping Kromm or RPK will address my additional concerns because (as I mentioned above to Dwarf99) Kromm's solution is right for me... to the extent it addresses the concerns I have for the build.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
No, Costs HP and requiring injury are not the same thing. I am referring to the following part of the Reversed Blood Agent limitation....
A Trigger of Requires Injury allows you to use this on somebody who bites you, which is effectively saying "I automatically win vs all beasts that attack by biting, AND I get points back for it!" Meanwhile, Costs HP doesn't really care if you just somehow lose life essence, fire chunks of your own flesh at people, or bleed out a bit.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #15
nerdvana

Quote:
A Trigger of Requires Injury allows you to use this on somebody who bites you, which is effectively saying "I automatically win vs all beasts that attack by biting, AND I get points back for it!" Meanwhile, Costs HP doesn't really care if you just somehow lose life essence, fire chunks of your own flesh at people, or bleed out a bit.
Its going to require costs FP... maybe I'll increase the trigger to -20% and call it Requires /self/ injury. (Never said it didn't require something else, just that I don't want it to be HP)

Last edited by nerdvana; 01-26-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added parenthetical note
Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #16
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Its going to require costs FP... maybe I'll increase the trigger to -20% and call it Requires /self/ injury. (Never said it didn't require something else, just that I don't want it to be HP)
Well, the source power uses HP, and any time you're bleeding, it's HP. That, and self injury is still going to involve HP loss. Much simpler to say it costs 1 HP. A minimal amount of Preparation Required works, if you can't just bleed on somebody's face.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #17
nerdvana

Quote:
Well, the source power uses HP, and any time you're bleeding, it's HP. That, and self injury is still going to involve HP loss. Much simpler to say it costs 1 HP. A minimal amount of Preparation Required works, if you can't just bleed on somebody's face.
In your games would a diabetic loose a HP doing their finger prick? How about when you have blood work done? (and sure, if you donate a pint of blood I see that as a HP loss, but we're talking about less than that)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #18
Nereidalbel

Quote:
In your games would a diabetic loose a HP doing their finger prick? How about when you have blood work done? (and sure, if you donate a pint of blood I see that as a HP loss, but we're talking about less than that)
The power you quoted requires enough blood to count as HP. If you're going to go with a single drop being good enough, then just call it Costs FP and Preparation Required. Injury still requires HP loss to be worth any points, though.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
nerdvana

Quote:
The power you quoted requires enough blood to count as HP.
You're right. Doh (at me)!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
nerdvana

I'm still curious how best to handle that roll 3d vs HP damage on the attack part of Dominance when there is no attack. Nereidalbel has suggested two approaches but I'm not sure which is "more correct" in terms of GURPS RAW write-ups.

Quote:
I'd call getting somebody to drink your blood instead of having to attack them a +0% special effect.
Quote:
If you want to be as close as possible to RAW, just add a No Wounding Toxic Attack, with enough dice to effectively ensure success.
Anyone else care to take a lick at this quandary?

Tags
allies, dominance