Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2023, 07:47 AM   #11
Donny Brook

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Rapier Wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
It's not. Not really.

The equivalent build is something like: ...
Isn't there an Enhancement version of Sense-Based that covers most of what you put on there?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Rapier Wit should probably also only allow one attempt per person.
Given that it has to be personalized insults, it seems that it is once per unique targeted burn. You can't just spam telling Lord Badguy that purple isn't his color.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:57 PM   #13
edk926

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Given that it has to be personalized insults, it seems that it is once per unique targeted burn. You can't just spam telling Lord Badguy that purple isn't his color.
You could potentially still insult other things about the same person though. Look at roasts.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:48 AM   #14
dcarson

Quote:
You could potentially still insult other things about the same person though. Look at roasts.
Margin of success of either direct Perception, Psychology, Research or similar? Maybe 1 per 2 MoS?
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 05:57 AM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
I might apply progressive modifiers to effective skill as you pick all the low-hanging fruit.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:01 AM   #16
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
So did you feel that change alone was still okay? (I'm not being a jerk or superior or anything, our game tastes are similar and I'm curious how you as a GM felt it stacked up between the changes.)
Making it an attack action brought it under control. The problem then became it's AOE ability.
It was still overpowered (at 5 points) but it was significantly more in line with most abilities.

Last edited by Tinman; 01-03-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:12 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've never used it... and its a lot cheaper than I thought. Only 5 points?

I've never noticed the words of power enhancement. It looks kind of fun, and might be the true "generic" version of the advantage.

Looking at affliction, rapier wit is really really good: no action, moderate range, and it acts like a malediction by default.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #18
Celjabba

These Kromm post are probably of interest here, and modify the rules as written :

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=578523&postcount=18
What's supposed to be the balancing factor is that the user has to know something about his victim that can flabbergast said victim if stated aloud. In theory, Rapier Wit is completely worthless against an unknown foe, faceless no-name mook, etc. And it's supposed to work once, not over and over to cause perpetual stun lock. I admit that these limitations aren't really clear from the wording, though . . . something I'll have to fix if I ever get the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=664970&postcount=5
You have to know something meaningful about your specific target, and then turn that into an insult. Rapier Wit is worthless against mysterious hit men and spies, randomly encountered thugs, golems and zombies with no personal life, strangers on the street, and anybody with any skill at all at hiding his true self or past. It's specifically intended for old rivals, public figures, and others you know something about. If you want it to work on just about any ordinary person, you must add Words of Power, +100% -- and if you want it to affect golems, robots, undead, and so on, you'll also need Cosmic, +300%.

I'm not saying that it still isn't somewhat cheap, but it's probably a good idea to start the price comparisons in light of the correct assumptions.

And I hasten to add that it's a cinematic trait for silly cinematic campaigns, where things like Bulletproof Nudity and Melee Etiquette are free for everybody already. You're effectively paying 5 points for another cinematic rule that only benefits you. Arguably, that's 4 points more than the perk it ought to be in a game like that.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #19
Expy

Fun, flavourful advantage for the floppy hatted, masked swashbuckler. Require that the player come up with zingers and leave a few embarrassing secrets hidden around about the bosses / minibosses now and then and its fine. Midcombat dialogue is fun and the trait encourages coming up with stuff in-between the rapid strike deceptive attack etc etc spam.

Your lover left you for a half-orc! (1s stun) and she sent us to kill you! (1s stun)
Expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:30 PM   #20
Inky

It seems odd that this is an Advantage, rather than just something that any character can do with Public Speaking (possibly with a Technique for it).

Tags
advantage of the week, rapier wit, words of power