Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #11
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: New Release: Shields Up! from Gaming Ballistic; Nightmare Fuel launches Oct 13

Sword-and-board just got an upgrade! This is great. Lots of options that should have been in GURPS Basic Set, just like with Dungeon Grappling. If you are running any game where shields play a role, you will love it.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
Gigermann

Default Re: New Release: Shields Up! from Gaming Ballistic; Nightmare Fuel launches Oct 13

Definitely good stuff here. Doug's side-projects are clearly bearing some fruit here :P
Gigermann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Sword-and-board just got an upgrade! This is great. Lots of options that should have been in GURPS Basic Set, just like with Dungeon Grappling. If you are running any game where shields play a role, you will love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
Definitely good stuff here. Doug's side-projects are clearly bearing some fruit here :P
Danny did great work in bringing a lot of his own flair, plus jamming a lot of online references (including my own blog posts of course) into a manuscript. We then set about saying, repeatedly, "simpler simpler simpler" while still trying to ensure if you could do it with a shield in life or cinema, you could do it with a shield in the book.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #14
Varyon

Messing around with the "Captain Hyrule" character (looking up an online English-Old Norse dictionary, I've opted to name the character Lykkja, meaning loop or knot, which is the closest I can find to link, with bonus points for looking/sounding similar; the gender is wrong, but a female Link works too), I have a couple questions/clarifications.

First, I note there are some things, like shield rushes, where shield DB gives a damage bonus (I believe thrown shields also do this, although it's not explicitly noted that they do so - more just that small shields deal thr+1, medium thr+2, and large thr+3). Meanwhile, Shield Mastery gives +1 to shield DB per level. Would it be appropriate for Shield Mastery to also give a bonus to damage for shield rush (and maybe thrown shields)?

Next up, Captain Fantastic seems like it allows you to only throw the shield at one enemy a round, with the shield automatically returning at the start of the next round. Would it be appropriate to allow a character to throw their shield and have it bounce between enemies as a Rapid Strike (so -6 per additional attack, or -3 with appropriate Weapon Master)? Might it be an option to go a step further and allow this to result in the character being able to attack a foe from a different angle (throw it past an enemy, hit someone behind him/her, then have it attack the first enemy from behind; I'd treat this like a runaround attack rather than giving the foe no defense, however)?

Finally, an idea I had for Lykkja was to have her armed with a heater shield (from LT) that is sharpened on the sides/bottom, but not the top. I figure this would just be the Bladed modifier (still +0.5 CF, no price discount) and would work normally in melee (bash for cr, swing with the edge for cut), but when thrown the weapon would have a 1/3 chance to deal cr, 2/3 to deal cut. I further figured Lykkja would be able to take a penalty (bought off as a Technique) to be able to choose which surface struck the target. To hit with cr (useful against skeletons, foes wearing mail*, etc), the sharp edges functionally give the target 4/6 protection, for -3 to hit; to hit with cut, the blunt top portion functionally gives the target 2/6 protection, for -1 to hit. Does that make sense, or do you think Captain Fantastic should just give Lykkja that level of precision without needing to worry about paying [4] for a Technique?

*Unless the shield is metal, hardened, and/or fine/very fine, in which case the bonus to cut damage generally makes that a better option against mail.

Tags
grappling, shield