Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
Pursuivant

Default GURPS Star Trek - Martial Arts

Advanced Starfleet Hand-to-Hand Combat (AKA “Kirk-Fu”) (5 points/10 points)

Found on the web and adapted.

This is an extremely aggressive style based on standard Starfleet Hand-to-Hand Combat, made famous by Captain James T. Kirk. It relies less on formal techniques than powerful improvised less-than-lethal attacks and acrobatic dodges.

It favors immediate All-Out Attacks to quickly incapacitate foes, using a variety of punches, knife hand strikes, takedowns, throws, and drop kicks. Successful practitioners acquire traits and skills which allow them to withstand damage from counterattacks, such as improved HP, Basic Speed, Will, and FP, Combat Reflexes, Damage Resistance (Tough Skin), Hard to Kill, Hard to Subdue, and High Pain Threshold. Masters of the art possess a nearly superhuman ability to push themselves beyond their normal limits.

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Pursuivant; 09-08-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
Pursuivant

Default Re: GURPS Star Trek - Martial Arts

Anbo-Jytsu (6 points)

Adapted from Bob Portnell and other GURPS 3e Star Trek fan-made sources.

Anbo-Jytsu is a tournament-style fighting form popular in the Federation that is considered to be the “ultimate evolution in martial arts”.

Spoiler:  
Old 09-08-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
Pursuivant

Starfleet Unarmed Combat (4 points/9 points)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=59

Last edited by Pursuivant; 09-08-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
Pursuivant

Mok'bara (6 points/10 points)

Suus Manha (4 points/10 points)

Last edited by Pursuivant; 09-08-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
Pursuivant

Velocity (1 point)

Velocity is a 24th century combat sport based on Beam Weapons/TL (Pistol). It is played with phasers (or simulations of phasers) in a holosuite. By the end of the middle of the 24th century it is popular among Starfleet personnel, perhaps because it provides somewhat-realistic phaser pistol training.

Players take turns shooting a flying disc which is programmed to hit them. If hit with a phaser blast before it strikes, the disc changes color, reverses course, and attempts to hit the other player. But, for a hit by the disc to be valid it must bounce off at least one surface prior to striking the opponent. Play continues until the disk makes one or more solid hits against one of the players.

The exact angle of the phaser hit determines the disc’s new trajectory towards the other player, and the disc will bounce off any solid surface it encounters like a rubber ball. Additionally, for each surface it hits the disc gains velocity. Advanced players attempt shots which will send the disc bouncing off multiple surfaces to strike their opponent from the side or rear.

Weapon training exercises similar to Velocity existed in Starfleet from the mid-22nd century, but the competitive sport element doesn’t seem to have appeared until the 24th century. Treat precursors to Velocity as Shooting Sports Training or, for more realistic versions training in Beam Weapons/TL skill.

Spoiler:  
Old 09-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #6
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Advanced Starfleet Hand-to-Hand Combat (AKA “Kirk-Fu”) (5 points/10 points)

Found on the web and adapted.

This is an extremely aggressive style based on standard Starfleet Hand-to-Hand Combat, made famous by Captain James T. Kirk. It relies less on formal techniques than powerful improvised less-than-lethal attacks and acrobatic dodges.

It favors immediate All-Out Attacks to quickly incapacitate foes, using a variety of punches, knife hand strikes, takedowns, throws, and drop kicks. Successful practitioners acquire traits and skills which allow them to withstand damage from counterattacks, such as improved HP, Basic Speed, Will, and FP, Combat Reflexes, Damage Resistance (Tough Skin), Hard to Kill, Hard to Subdue, and High Pain Threshold. Masters of the art possess a nearly superhuman ability to push themselves beyond their normal limits.
Was this, perchance, based on a certain book published a few years ago?
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:30 PM   #7
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
Was this, perchance, based on a certain book published a few years ago?
Not to the best of my recall. Kirk Fu is a pretty obvious joke so I wouldn't be surprised if someone wrote a book about it.

Gumption, incidentally is just a Perk that lets you buy massless HP up to 50% of ST. Representing Kirk's ability to soak up a lot of damage and keep going.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
Not to the best of my recall. Kirk Fu is a pretty obvious joke so I wouldn't be surprised if someone wrote a book about it.
It certainly is. Thanks for assuaging my curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
Gumption, incidentally is just a Perk that lets you buy massless HP up to 50% of ST. Representing Kirk's ability to soak up a lot of damage and keep going.
That fits.

0% discount for the modifier "Requires Your Shirt To Get Ripped."
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts styles, star trek