Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2022, 05:28 AM   #1
Anders

Default New Disadvantage: Compulsive Worldbuilding

Compulsive Worldbuilding: You have an inner need to worldbuild. When writing about a topic, roll a self-control roll. On a failed roll you will spend 2d days to add 1dx100 words to the manuscript about something like elven horse-breeding practices or orcish tea-drinking habits. In order to remove this from a manuscript, you need to make a self-control roll or you will fight tooth and nail to keep it in. Your editor will react to you at -1. -5 points
Old 05-13-2022, 05:37 AM   #2
Lovewyrm

Default Re: New Disadvantage: Compulsive Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Compulsive Worldbuilding: You have an inner need to worldbuild. When writing about a topic, roll a self-control roll. On a failed roll you will spend 2d days to add 1dx100 words to the manuscript about something like elven horse-breeding practices or orcish tea-drinking habits. In order to remove this from a manuscript, you need to make a self-control roll or you will fight tooth and nail to keep it in. Your editor will react to you at -1. -5 points
I wish I had that.
You can always (try to) make amends with someone you had a beef with, but the unwritten lore will never have existed if it only stayed in ones head (aka, death)

I have a different disad: CFBTSOTP, Compulsive flying by the seat of the pants.
Edit: don't even have it statted out, I'll think of the effects ingame when it's relevant.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:01 AM   #3
TGLS

Quote:
Probably just a quirk, too easily avoided by not writing fiction.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, this is for my upcoming supplement GURPS: Writers and Editors, so it's particularly relevant there.

It also contains a rule for Fast-Talking your editor when you've missed a deadline.

Last edited by Anders; 05-13-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:29 PM   #5
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Just 1dx100? ;)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
If it follows the general rules of Compulsive, it might still be worth -5. You MUST do it at least once a day, you indulge in it when you can, and you even have to make a self control roll to get into a situation where you can't do it. And if you do manage to get into a situation where you can't write your fiction, then Bad Temper kicks in.

One thing I might change is that only giving the editor a reaction penalty seems a bit too little. This disad has parts of Workaholic in it and I might extend that penalty to people Workaholic affects (but to a lesser degree).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:56 PM   #7
sparcipx

Does it have levels? I kinda feel I'm at Compulsive Worldbuilding 3.
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #8
dcarson

Instead of Bad Temper I'd say Short Attention Span because you worldbuild in your head if you can't sit down and write it. Both -10 Disads.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Instead of Bad Temper I'd say Short Attention Span because you worldbuild in your head if you can't sit down and write it. Both -10 Disads.
I really like switching things up like this (such as picking a different -10 disad for Loner) so I'd allow either option.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:59 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
One thing I might change is that only giving the editor a reaction penalty seems a bit too little. This disad has parts of Workaholic in it and I might extend that penalty to people Workaholic affects (but to a lesser degree).
Maybe steal the table from p. B129 and and make it a reaction penalty rather than a penalty to Merchant Skill?

"It began innocently enough. I looked at the templates in DF3 and began to wonder how the races related to each other. Soon I was jotting down notes about the internal politics of the Elven High Council. Two or three hours per day would be spent on discussing dwarven dying techniques. My wife left me when I spent more time on minotaur mating customs than on her. I realize now that I have a problem."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
Does it have levels? I kinda feel I'm at Compulsive Worldbuilding 3.
Well, there's the self-control roll. Compulsive Worldbuilding (6) would be worth -10 points.

Tags
compulsive behavior, disadvantages, worldbuilding