Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: How to protect merchant from mind control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post

It's worth remembering that even though theft is outlawed in every civilized society (at least that I know of), stores still employ their own countermeasures against thieves and robbers. Some of these countermeasures are more effective than others, but even if it's just metal bars securing the windows they still don't rely purely on the law and law enforcement.
Agreed, which is why I said these things, too:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Beyond that, merchants are wealthy and important in most fantasy settings, and customarily own and use many magic items – especially items that ensure their safety, and continued wealth and importance, in a world full of slaying-and-looting adventurers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's no sillier than the real-world practices of installing alarms, cameras, and bright lights in key areas
I didn't claim a pure reliance on law enforcement. But in the absence of law enforcement, personal countermeasures are kind of pointless because they just leave you in a "Okay, make me stop!" situation. If you're positing a civilization rather than an anarchy, you presumably don't want all merchants being judge, jury, and executioner.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Note that beyond mind control being dark and illegal, using mind control to get a good deal is somewhere between fraud and theft anyways.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #13
DemiBenson

As others have pointed out, laws and customs will be the biggest deterrent, followed by the possibility of citizens forming mobs to get “justice” on mages/bards who misuse or abuse mind-magic in civilized lands.

If your bard goes around charming merchants to get a discount, the merchants will eventually figure it out and warn all their follows and warn the watch (who then get bonuses to recognize the bard). If the merchants know who the bard is, they’ll just ban him. If the bard continues, the merchants might band together and hire some thugs to get their money back.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Note that beyond mind control being dark and illegal, using mind control to get a good deal is somewhere between fraud and theft anyways.
The way I see it:
"I swipe the gewgaw.": Theft.
"I use my wits to scam the gewgaw off someone.": Fraud.
"I beat someone up and take the gewgaw.": Assault + theft.
"I use magic to levitate, teleport, or otherwise swipe the gewgaw.": Theft, aggravated by magic use.
"I use magic to persuade someone to give me the gewgaw.": Fraud, aggravated by magic-use + assault, aggravated by magic use.
Some people seem to see it this way:
"I use magic to persuade someone to give me the gewgaw.": Fraud, aggravated by magic-use.
I disagree. I think that use of magic on a person would always add a kind of aggravated assault on top of whatever crime you were up to at the time. And obviously, I feel that using magic always means aggravated crime.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #15
Stormcrow

Spoilers for Babylon 5!

I am reminded of the Psi-Corps of Babylon 5. There the issue was privacy, not control, but the laws enacted by humans to control telepaths eventually led to the telepaths trying to take over. In the end, the Psi-Corps was abolished, but they never really addressed in any detail how privacy would be protected after that.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
Anthony

I'm inclined to call targeted spells assault, though there's edge cases like Presence and using Alter Voice to improve reactions (oddly, there doesn't seem to be a body control spell that gives Appearance; using Steal Beauty is assault on the person you stole it from but not on the merchant).
Old 08-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #17
Kalzazz

If your a loaded merchant moly amulets become affordable
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #18
khorboth

There is one other method if it's not too late. You could just... not allow it.

You could tell your player that this kind of power is not in keeping with the theme of the game. Much like the ability create (gold) or someone with phobia (coins).

Or you could tell them that these powers are exceedingly rare in FR and you don't want the PCs to have access. Just like you're not allowing Drow or Djinn PCs.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #19
Anthony

It's not like D&D doesn't have Charm Person and Suggestion; other than simply ignoring the problem, the main protection is that merchants who actually have things the PCs might want also have dangerous people available to discourage bad behavior.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #20
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
As others have pointed out, laws and customs will be the biggest deterrent, followed by the possibility of citizens forming mobs to get “justice” on mages/bards who misuse or abuse mind-magic in civilized lands.

If your bard goes around charming merchants to get a discount, the merchants will eventually figure it out and warn all their follows and warn the watch (who then get bonuses to recognize the bard). If the merchants know who the bard is, they’ll just ban him. If the bard continues, the merchants might band together and hire some thugs to get their money back.
The Bard may be a little different - he may well be a character with high but mundane social skills who is just really good at negotiating - presumably part of his shtick is that he is just really persuasive, but that shouldn't extend beyond a really good discount or atypical credit. Give an NPC who has already been smooth talked by him a bonus to resist.

Of course, if the Bard is an actual con artist, then things differ again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not like D&D doesn't have Charm Person and Suggestion; other than simply ignoring the problem, the main protection is that merchants who actually have things the PCs might want also have dangerous people available to discourage bad behavior.
I think the issue appears to be that D&D also has magic missile and fireball and the game world needs to allow for there to be repercussions for PCs who use any of these spells to rob NPCs. But there we seem to be in essential agreeement...

Last edited by The Colonel; 08-11-2021 at 10:57 AM.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
countermeasures, merchants, spells