Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
Ezra

Default CoC-Style Magic

I'm new to the GURPS system, so I hope this isn't a naïve question, but I'm wondering if the GURPS magic system can accommodate a Call of Cthulhu or Elric magic paradigm. That is, a magic system that is difficult to execute, time consuming, and dangerous (possibility of demonic possession, madness, etc.).

If so, which source books would I need?
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: CoC-Style Magic

Yes it can.
I discuss most of the systems here and link to a few others, such as Rogers blog who recent l had a similar discussion.
In particular if your looking for a POW or SAN mechanic the article The Fifth Attribute from Pyramid #3/120 Alt GURPS V is similar.
Corruption from GURPS Horror has a Corruption mechanic for converting most systems to a dark magic kind of thing. Horror is likely to be a lot of use in a dark type campaign.
And GURPS Thaumatology has Spirit Assisted and Threshold magic along with lots of ideas for tinkering with other systems.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-23-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

And GURPS Cthulhupunk contains the conversion rules for CoC to 3rd Edition GURPS, if that's of any assistance.

Personally, I'd also get the Thaumatology - Sorcery supplement. Most of the CoC spells are closer to that in feel than the default magic system or Path Magic.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Shostak

Welcome to GURPS, Ezra. GURPS is a great system for cosmic horror, and it can absolutely accommodate CoC-Style magic. Since the genre depends heavily on various forbidden tomes, I'd recommend you use Ritual Path Magic (detailed in the booklet of same name), and only allow rituals that you, the GM, have defined in advance and associated with individual grimoires. It is a very versatile system, and the PDF book is inexpensive. And, characters who dabble in magic without knowing what they are doing can wind up having their ritual blow up catastrophically. OR, use Path/Book Magic from Thaumatology. Either way, give each casting a cost in terms of stability (GURPS Horror), and you ar close enough in feel.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Another possible solution would be to use Energy Accumulation Path/Book Magic with threshold replacing energy (the rules for both are in Thaumotology). In effect, you create a slow and subtle form of magic that strains the fabric of reality. The spells from CoC could form their own Books and the relevant core skill would be Ritual Magic (Mythos).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
In particular if your looking for a POW or SAN mechanic the article The Fifth Attribute from Pyramid #3/120 Alt GURPS V is similar. Corruption from GURPS Horror has a Corruption mechanic for converting most systems to a dark magic kind of thing. Horror is likely to be a lot of use in a dark type campaign. And GURPS Thaumatology has Spirit Assisted and Threshold magic along with lots of ideas for tinkering with other systems.
That Corruption mechanic sounds perfect. And I already own GURPS Horror, actually. :-)

I'll need to purchase Thaumatology, but I need to do that anyway.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
And GURPS Cthulhupunk contains the conversion rules for CoC to 3rd Edition GURPS, if that's of any assistance.

Personally, I'd also get the Thaumatology - Sorcery supplement. Most of the CoC spells are closer to that in feel than the default magic system or Path Magic.
I'll need to obtain both of these sources, but it sounds like I'll need to anyway. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Ezra

So it sounds like the resources for this style of magic are the following:
  • GURPS Horror
  • Thaumatology
  • GURPS Thaumatology - Sorcery
  • GURPS Cthulhupunk
  • Pyramid #3/120

Thanks for the help everyone! :-)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
I'm new to the GURPS system, so I hope this isn't a naïve question, but I'm wondering if the GURPS magic system can accommodate a Call of Cthulhu or Elric magic paradigm. That is, a magic system that is difficult to execute, time consuming, and dangerous (possibility of demonic possession, madness, etc.).

If so, which source books would I need?
In one of my campaigns (The Awakening) I modeled CoC magic using Ritual Path Magic and had each spell cost a certain number of Stability Points (from my Article "Mad as Bones" which is a way to model sanity points from CoC). Specifically, the greater effects multiplier was the number of SP lost from casting the spell. It had other rules too like if a spell brought you into negative SP all sorts of ugly things happened.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
In one of my campaigns (The Awakening) I modeled CoC magic using Ritual Path Magic and had each spell cost a certain number of Stability Points (from my Article "Mad as Bones" which is a way to model sanity points from CoC). Specifically, the greater effects multiplier was the number of SP lost from casting the spell. It had other rules too like if a spell brought you into negative SP all sorts of ugly things happened.
Found it Pyramid #3/103
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, rules question, variant rules