Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
DAT

Default [DF] Arctic Elf Template

Hey Folks,
I am looking at having a DF game set in the far North, and it makes sense to have some Arctic Races, including Arctic Elves. So I need to come up with a template. I have lots of options when it comes to advantages that make sense, but two main ones are shown below. Any thoughts on which might be better in play? Or if a different option of advantages is suggested?
Thanks.
-Dan

Arctic Elf
20 points
Choice Professions: Scout, Thief, Wizard.
Marginal Professions: None.

Arctic elves dwell in the land of ice and snow, with the midnight sun, and where the cold winds blow (or something like that). They are reclusive and famed for …
While fine-featured, they aren’t exactly attractive. Maybe it’s the bluish skin and hair.
Attribute Modifiers: ST-1 [-10]; DX+1 [20].
Advantages: Magery 0 [5]; Option?.
Perks: Elven Gear [1].
Disadvantages: Loner (12) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15].
Features: Snow-white or blue-white skin and hair.

Option 1:
Acute Vision 1 [2];
Night Vision 5 [5];
Protected Vision (Snow Glare) [1];
Talent (Arctic Guardian) 1 [5];
Temperature Tolerance (Cold) [1];
Terrain Adaptation (Ice) [5];
Terrain Adaptation (Snow) [5];

Option 2:
Infravision [10];
Sure-Footed (Ice) [1];
Sure-Footed (Snow) [1];
Telescopic Vision 1 [5].
Temperature Tolerance (Cold) [1];

Option 3:
Some combination of advantages worth 24 points.

Arctic Guardian: You’re the product of eons of selective breeding
for the task of sneaking around in the snow, peppering litterers
with arrows. This Talent adds to Bow, Camouflage, Fast-
Draw (Arrow), Stealth, and Survival (Arctic). Only elves can
have it. Reaction bonus: polar bears, faeries, and seals. 5
points/level.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Jinumon

Default Re: [DF] Arctic Elf Template

I don't think Arctic Elves should be Loners. Even with Temperature Tolerance and Elven Metabolism, most cultures historically have been highly communal in Arctic environs (Norse, Inuit, etc). Food, heat, and shelter are paramount, all of which are easier to come by in groups. The only exception might be food in times of scarcity, but hunting whales, sea lions, and walruses is typically a group activity. So is raiding. They'd probably need Reduced Consumption, more Temperature Tolerance, and perhaps a longer sleep cycle (Sleepy disadvantage) to realistically survive for long periods by themselves.

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
...peppering litterers with arrows.
Are litter bugs so very common in the arctic?

Or is this just more Elven propaganda so no one goes searching for what they are really guarding up there (Imprisoned Elder Gods, Artifacts of Ultimate Power Overwhelming, All The Monies, etc)?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
I don't think Arctic Elves should be Loners. Even with Temperature Tolerance and Elven Metabolism, most cultures historically have been highly communal in Arctic environs (Norse, Inuit, etc). Food, heat, and shelter are paramount, all of which are easier to come by in groups. The only exception might be food in times of scarcity, but hunting whales, sea lions, and walruses is typically a group activity. So is raiding. They'd probably need Reduced Consumption, more Temperature Tolerance, and perhaps a longer sleep cycle (Sleepy disadvantage) to realistically survive for long periods by themselves.

Jinumon
Meh. I dunno. If they're good enough to reliably sustain themselves alone and the resources are there to be found, it seems legit enough to pass in DF.

Now I would like to know what the elves have gotten out of these Elf-kimo commandoes and why they got made. That would be interesting.

Whats that Birchvine? You dont LIKE the forrest? To warm for you here is it? Right, we've got just the assignment for you.....

Im sorry Greenvein, you know that to remain apart of this collective we all have to take our turn in the tree baking cookies. We all do it. That Cookie revenue is vital to our forrest conservation efforts as well as our Para-Milliatry Amazon Outreach Program. Whats that? You say you WONT? You say your not baking another thin mint tell Hell Freezes over? Right. I've got just the assignment for you my special little snowflake....

Barklimb you un repentant swine! How DARE you steal the Mape syrup and sell it to the dirty heathen Dwarves of Canukus. Exile is the verdict. You are to be banished to the frozen north. Nod if you tundra-stand me. Stop your blubbering.

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 03-29-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post

Jinumon
So rather than Loner [-5], I could go with either Shyness 1 [-5] (“We don’t get many strangers up here.”) or Chummy [-5] or just Congenial [-1].

I think I need to define where their 55 deg F starting temperature range is in conjunction with more Temperature Tolerance. I could put their range from +55 to 0 deg F or +40 to -15 deg F. Two levels of Temperature Tolerance (Cold) should suite fine then no (for average 10 HT: +55 to -20 deg F or +40 to -35 deg F)?

Sleepy is an interesting idea. Let them sleep through the long winter with a form of hibernation. They could be awake 24/7 through the 3 months of summer, approach ½ time in the fall and spring, and hibernate the 3 months of full winter for and equivalent of ½ time for [-8].

I don’t know about Reduced Consumption. If I even it out over the year like with sleepy, they would eat six meals a day in the summer, 3 meals a day in fall and spring, and 0 meals a day for winter. But if I go with Reduced Consumption 1 [2] and spread it out, they could eat three meals a day during summer and fall, 0 meals a day during winter, and 2 meals a day during spring. I like that.

Combining items gets the following, but still have a question on the advantage options:
Arctic Elf
20 points
Choice Professions: Scout, Thief, Wizard.
Marginal Professions: None.

Arctic elves dwell in the land of ice and snow, with the midnight sun, and where the cold winds blow (or something like that). They are reclusive and famed for …
While fine-featured, they aren’t exactly attractive. Maybe it’s the bluish skin and hair.
Advantages: Magery 0 [5]; Reduced Consumption 1 [2]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Cold – 40 to -15 – 2xHT deg F) [2]; Option ? .
Disadvantages: Congenial [-1]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15], Sleepy (1/2 time) [-8].

Option 1:
Acute Vision 2 [4];
Night Vision 5 [5];
Terrain Adaptation (Ice) [5];
Terrain Adaptation (Snow) [5];

Option 2:
Acute Vision 1 [2];
Infravision [10];
Sure-Footed (Ice) [1];
Sure-Footed (Snow) [1];
Telescopic Vision 1 [5].

Option 3:
Some combination of advantages worth 25 points.
- One idea is to somehow add Increased Move for running away from Polar Bears.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Are litter bugs so very common in the arctic?)?
According to the Arctic Elves; oil drillers (Dwarfs and Gnomes), diamond miners (Dwarfs and Gnomes) and Seal hunters all leave messes.

Quote:
Or is this just more Elven propaganda so no one goes searching for what they are really guarding up there (Imprisoned Elder Gods, Artifacts of Ultimate Power Overwhelming, All The Monies, etc)?
Nothing of the kind, move along citizen, FNORD.

{The DF adventure I have in mind will have Elder influences and Artifacts. But this will be even farther North than the normal Arctic Elf stomping grounds. The thought is that they may be guides though,}
Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Meh. I dunno. If they're good enough to reliably sustain themselves alone and the resources are there to be found, it seems legit enough to pass in DF.

Now I would like to know what the elves have gotten out of these Elf-kimo commandoes and why they got made. That would be interesting.

Whats that Birchvine? You dont LIKE the forrest? To warm for you here is it? Right, we've got just the assignment for you.....

Im sorry Greenvein, you know that to remain apart of this collective we all have to take our turn in the tree baking cookies. We all do it. That Cookie revenue is vital to our forrest conservation efforts as well as our Para-Milliatry Amazon Outreach Program. Whats that? You say you WONT? You say your not baking another thin mint tell Hell Freezes over? Right. I've got just the assignment for you my special little snowflake....

Barklimb you un repentant swine! How DARE you steal the Mape syrup and sell it to the dirty heathen Dwarves of Canukus. Exile is the verdict. You are to be banished to the frozen north. Nod if you tundra-stand me. Stop your blubbering.

Nymdok
When I stop laughing, I'll try to make a coherent post.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Advantages: Magery 0 [5]; Option?.
Disadvantages: Loner (12) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15].
Snow-white skin would be regarded as very attractive, whether in a woman or a man, in a genuinely medieval setting. Notice the word "fair" meaning both good-looking and light-coloured? That's no coincidence! Cultures vary in how crazy they are about blonde hair, but in a surprisingly wide variety of places, lighter skin is flat out better.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Snow-white skin would be regarded as very attractive, whether in a woman or a man, in a genuinely medieval setting. Notice the word "fair" meaning both good-looking and light-coloured? That's no coincidence! Cultures vary in how crazy they are about blonde hair, but in a surprisingly wide variety of places, lighter skin is flat out better.
In the context of DF I dont even really know what you mean about 'genuinely medieval'. Societies often also value rarity so its entirely possible that, among normally fair skinned elves, the darker colored ones would be regarded as more attractive.

Nymdok

Whose the Scout that wont cop out
When there's Displacer Beasts all about?
ArrowShaft.....
Damn Right...
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
GoldenMonkey

Quote:
Are litter bugs so very common in the arctic?
I was wondering the same thing. Is Big Oil a thing in DF?

Infravision seems the better bet because of the bonus to Tracking (which would be an appropriate addition to the Talent list of skills). Plus it would be helpful to spot burrows and dwellings against the icy backdrop.
GoldenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
template