Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: One-Handed Staff Parry Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I could not find this in Martial Arts. Anyone else have any luck?
Your Search-Fu is weak!
(No, but seriously, this took me for freaking ever to find)

MA220, in the "Unorthodox Attacks" box. Looks like it's actually canon that two handed weapons used in one hand are at -1 to damage, so that's neat.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
oneofmanynameless

There's a stick fighting technique of holding one stick in the off hand in the center of the stick, rather then at one end, in order to have both the full breadth of the stick as parrying surface while also balancing the weapon relative to what fighting with it in a sword grip is like. I've never seen rules for how to handle this but initially imagined it might be something similar to wielding a smaller staff-one handed. Is there a canon on that?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:38 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
There's a stick fighting technique of holding one stick in the off hand in the center of the stick, rather then at one end, in order to have both the full breadth of the stick as parrying surface while also balancing the weapon relative to what fighting with it in a sword grip is like. I've never seen rules for how to handle this but initially imagined it might be something similar to wielding a smaller staff-one handed. Is there a canon on that?
Defensive grip?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:25 AM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Defensive grip?
I thought Defensive Grip had to be a 2-handed technique?

I'd think that the off-hand mid-grip short stick was more like Main Gauche except short sticks aren't assigned the -1 to Parry that regular Knife gets.

I beleive that the off-hand stick thing is mentioned in the stickfighting section of MA but not trearted as anything special.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #15
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Your Search-Fu is weak!
(No, but seriously, this took me for freaking ever to find)

MA220, in the "Unorthodox Attacks" box. Looks like it's actually canon that two handed weapons used in one hand are at -1 to damage, so that's neat.
Your Search-Fu is impressive, Varyon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA220
As explained on p. B270, a strong enough fighter can wield a two-handed melee weapon – one with “†” or “‡” on its ST statistic – in one hand. When doing so, use the weapon’s two-handed statistics but apply a -1 to damage. The skill required to wield it may change:
So, when wielding a Quarterstaff one-handed, I would roll against my Broadsword skill to hit, but I’d still use the Staff skill stats for everything else, including the parry bonus, with the exception that I apply a -1 to damage.

At least, that’s my interpretation of the RAW. It still seems wrong to me that a quarterstaff wielded as a broadsword should get a +2 parry bonus.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 03-04-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
one-handed, parry, rules question, staff