Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
ghostkill221

Default OP Epic Munchkins

So Backstory: Me and 4 of my friends were playing Epic Munchkin, and by the end of the game I was over 50 total Combat Level and so were two other Munchkins, this seems enormous for a game were the highest single monster is 20. Am I not following some rules right? or is there a way to make the game Scale faster?
ghostkill221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
darksaba

Default Re: OP Epic Munchkins

Remember you kick open 2 doors at a time so you often fight 2 monsters at once.

But an equipment bonus of +30 does seem a little high, so you may be doing something wrong there. Depends what version of the game you are playing of course.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Mister Ed

That does seem enormous. Were you following hand restrictions properly? I'm having a hard time figuring out where +31 or more would come from with only two (or maybe three) hands worth of items (and one armor, headgear, and footgear), much less that much bonus for three people at once. If you are counting one-shot items maybe, but you can only use those once.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
ComBAT

It's not out of the question with the -aser rule in Star Munchkin, some of the styles and +10 enhanced Mooks in Munchkin Fu(triple bonus from footgear for example), or Fantasy munchkin where you can also have Steeds and Hirelings(and they may be able to carry and use a high bonus item). Add enhancers to items in any game plus certain class bonuses(an example where Samurai's get bonuses to swords) it is certainly feasible. I have not played epic munchkin yet but you do get a lot more opportunities to collect treasure and vicariously, items.
In Bites, I think I've had several items that didn't require a slot to use.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
natesroom

yeah ive had a +5 item 2 hands with a +3 enhancer with a cheat on it , -2 hands item so i'm using +14 for all my other 4 free hands, + 3 Really Impressive, +3 Armor, +2 Headgear, +2 Footgear, +5 Dragon Steed with Cheat +2 Enhancer, and a +2 hireling at level 11 thats a total of:

52!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Doctor Poo

Your group might be playing to nice. Start cursing those items away before the bonuses get too high. :)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
natesroom

Lol.. well sometimes i have sandals of protection and tinfoil hat... thats an awesome combo
Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Mister Ed

So it is possible. I just wonder how likely it is for the combos necessary to scale those heights to be pulled off all at once by three separate players, in the same game, at the same time.

Haven't played Epic (usually have to spread a REGULAR game of Munchkin out over more than one day due to lack of time) so maybe that IS typical somehow?
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
ComBAT

I don't think high equipment bonuses are all that typical to be honest. It would require a lot of treasure cards.
If it's 5 or 6 player munchkin, the chances are even less I think because you have more players to stop you from winning. Due to this, you may be required to ask for help more often and then split up the treasures of the combat.
I find that with the starting hand of 4 treasure cards, if you luck out and get some nice high bonus items, you have a good chance to keep adding to that. This is because you will be the most likely player to be sought out for help and you won't need help yourself as often early, so that may be why the +30 equipment bonus happens sometimes.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
smoothhands

The highest permanent combat power we've had in our non-Epic games was 40, and by the time the game ended no one else was even close. The only reason I was able to hold onto all that treasure was a combination of having the Helm of Peripheral Vision (the Thief in the game couldn't steal from me) and a Wishing Ring and some throw-away items for when I occasionally got cursed.

I think three people having even more than that means something was done wrong. Most likely people had multiple Big items without being Dwarves, or Race/Class restrictions were not followed.
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic, overpowered