Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Anders

Default Tricked-out guns

Tricked Out Rides gives us a way to start with generic cars and customize them, making them into their own brands. You could imagine various ways of making cars worse as well, but that wouldn't be as useful for an Action campaign.

I'm looking at the guns in Ultra-Tech and wonder if anyone has done something similar with them? There are rules in High-tech for making guns more accurate - how about modifications that make them e.g. more powerful but increasing recoil?

I'm thinking something like this:

Snub-nose: This gun has an unusually short barrel. This gives -1 dmg per die but also increased Bulk by 1 (getting it closer to 0). Not available for weapons with Bulk 0. +1 CF
Old 01-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Willy

Default Re: Tricked-out guns

That was done by some mercenarys in for example in Iraq. While protecting convoys and VIPs often the Assault rflies proved to be to bulky. But the needed mor punch than a SMG, therefore they sawed of the stock, and a good part of the barrel and had there weapon of choice. Because aiming was difficult, and the lost muzzle break made bursts harder to control, the next step was a underbarrel grip, end result enough punch and the size of a SMG. I would not only do - 1 damage, but also imply heavy penalities for aiming and controled bursts. Maybe a master gun smith can replace the muzzle break, and add a posibillity to aim, because this guns a nearly useless at more than 100 m. While the bullets fly still further, the aiming is somesthing for magicans.On short ditances such a gun excells a SMG in point of damage and armor penetration.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
Anders

I was more interested in various modifications and Cost Factors. This would allow an enterprising GM to take the guns given in Ultra-Tech and produce his desired number of gun models.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
RyanW

A lot of gun modifications amount to no effect at GURPS levels of detail, but make a good excuse to buy Weapon Bond.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
A lot of gun modifications amount to no effect at GURPS levels of detail, but make a good excuse to buy Weapon Bond.
True, but it still is a good idea for a very small supplement. I'd say cover UT as well to make it more complete and fill up even a small supplement.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
True, but it still is a good idea for a very small supplement. I'd say cover UT as well to make it more complete and fill up even a small supplement.
Yep. Something for a cyberpunk campaign, for instance, where brands tend to be important. I have nowhere near the skill set required to write this but if someone would write it I would definitely buy it.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
Black Leviathan

I've built a few weapon tables for settings. I generally trick guns in. Most of the weapons in High Tech are luminary collector guns and some of the best engineered machines of history. There are plenty of guns that aren't made as well, have poor ballistics, low cap mags, poor accuracy or high recoil, some that are heavier or bulkier. When I make a variety of guns I may make flat modifications to weapons or include an integral sight or other standard accessories, but most of the guns on the list are just a bit worse and a a few dozen bucks cheaper.

I know it seems silly to put guns on the list players are less likely to want, but ultimately there are guns on the list that players are less likely to want anyway. Now you have sub-par cheap weapons your NPCS can bring to fights that your players won't be excited about and can't sell easily.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There are rules in High-tech for making guns more accurate - how about modifications that make them e.g. more powerful but increasing recoil?
That is in High-Tech, under "Ammunition Upgrades" on p. 165. There are also a number of ways to modify guns under "Gunsmithing" on pp. 68-70 of Tactical Shooting. Guns can be built with those modifications baked in. Just remember to add weight, expense and "tactical" marketing.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
Donny Brook

There are actually fairly extensive rules for tricking out High-Tech firearms. They are a bit scattered and duplicative, but see GURPS: Tactical Shooting and GURPS: Gun Fu, as well as a few pages in High-Tech.

Some of these modifications may be either relevant or subsumed in Ultra-Tech mass-thrower designs.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
Taneli

Tactical, this modifiers means that the piece is in matte black, or any camo that is currently trendy. It also has an extensive amount of any current attachment points (such as rails) added to it, meaning that you could probably add at least four different gadgets of into it, or up to six for long guns. CF +2, or +4 if "tacticool" is a really desired trait in the relevant arms industry.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate rules, guns