Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Jaware

Default Trying to build a psionic ability and I'm having trouble making it the way I want.

Once again I consult the collective my friends.

Today I have had an idea for my campaign. Mostly for an master NPC but I need it balanced that way in case the pcs are bound and determined enough they may be able to train under him and get some ability like his.

Basicaly what I want is fairly simple to describe. But fairly difficult to build. At least for me, I don't have much experience in this particular area.

Anyway. What I want is this master to be Psionic. Telekinetic and possibly be able to teleport short ranges.

The power is what's giving me the headache. Namely the psionic Fire ability.
What I want it to do is to summon a ball about 5 inches across. Within this area there's heat. It's not quite a fireball, but it's just a sphere that whatever is within it gets heated up to extreme temperatures. Basically a ultratech fireball hahaha.

I want it to do 1d damage and have it cosmic to show that it's not physical, just that it an area that heats up what's inside.

What I'm having trouble with is I want the character to be able to control its movements. Basic movements albeit. But still. I want it to persist in place for around 30 seconds or so before it has to be replenished with FP to function again. So like it costs 2 or 3 FP to create and then it costs a not her 1 or 2 every 30 seconds or so to sustain it.

I'm having trouble mostly with the modifiers. Like which ones to apply, and which ones I can apply. Like persistent with extended duration x3 would work nicely. But it said it has to be combined with AOE and the smallest AOE is 2 yard radius. Making the final thing have a 5 yard diameter. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than the 5 inch diameter I am shooting for.

I suppose I could always design it like a character with a point cost and use allies or something to bring it up like a power or something. I don't know. I'm looking for advice on how to create this power and if there's any super OP thing about it that I have missed, or may miss by all means bring it to my attention.

The other thing about it that I thought was interesting would maybe be a way to trade places with the ball via short range if you could see it in person. So no I send it through a wall but I can see it through a tv screen. But I don't know if that would be to OP or not.

But what I definitely want is the ability to put it on an object like say a sword or an arrow etc. in order to cause it to deal more damage. But not the full 1d. Maybe like 1 or 2 damage that's not cosmic to show that it's less focused and not cosmic anymore as the heat radiates off the top of the object instead of heating up everything inside of a space.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
scc

Default Re: Trying to build a psionic ability and I'm having trouble making it the way I want

Sounds like a fairly simple Innate Attack (Burning), you'd apply Area and probably Malediction as well, Cosmic isn't needed, anything that does Burn is presumed to heat things up. This means that every time the NPC uses the ability a sphere of fire forms where he designates. For your 30 seconds thing, just add extended duration. Temperature Control, with Heat, might be needed for the heating if being particularly strict. Create and Control, probably with heavy limitations might also be needed.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Trying to build a psionic ability and I'm having trouble making it the way I want

Innate Attack (burning) (cosmic, ignores DR +300%, Guided +50%, overhead +30%, Costs 2 FP-10%, each attack originates from location of last attack rather than user +0%, psi -10%)[23]

the sphere detail is just fluff -- the damage is still burning, it just isn't tight beam burning. The guided part lets you move the attack around, requires him to aim it, and lets him ignore range penalties. The overhead lets him attack from unexpected directions-- which he certainly can do.

at -5%/point, costs FP lasts for a full minute.

the sphere heating up whatever is in its radius is ignores DR.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if the 'trade places' refers to physical teleportation, or to displaced senses.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Innate Attack (burning) (cosmic, ignores DR +300%, Guided +50%, overhead +30%, Costs 2 FP-10%, each attack originates from location of last attack rather than user +0%, psi -10%)[23]

the sphere detail is just fluff -- the damage is still burning, it just isn't tight beam burning. The guided part lets you move the attack around, requires him to aim it, and lets him ignore range penalties. The overhead lets him attack from unexpected directions-- which he certainly can do.

at -5%/point, costs FP lasts for a full minute.

the sphere heating up whatever is in its radius is ignores DR.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if the 'trade places' refers to physical teleportation, or to displaced senses.
I like it. I could use something like that easy enough

Trade places as in physically change places with the ball. Allowing for some interesting combat mechanics. More the ball into them they dodge and the ball misses and goes behind them. Next turn move into close combat and trade places with the ball and hit them in the back arc next turn and then they also take the damage from the ball as well. Could be interesting.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I like it. I could use something like that easy enough

Trade places as in physically change places with the ball. Allowing for some interesting combat mechanics. More the ball into them they dodge and the ball misses and goes behind them. Next turn move into close combat and trade places with the ball and hit them in the back arc next turn and then they also take the damage from the ball as well. Could be interesting.
Looks like a teleportation effect. I forget, does Powers, Psionic Powers, or a Pyramid have a Castling modifier for Warp?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Looks like a teleportation effect. I forget, does Powers, Psionic Powers, or a Pyramid have a Castling modifier for Warp?
I think the closest is 'special portal'. Given that he can move the portal around, but there is only one of them at most and it requires set up, its probably between -40% and -60%. Its in powers.

The sight limitation is sense-based (reversed, sight) -20%. Not part of castling, but good to get down. Its in powers.

If he wants to warp quickly, he'll need an advantage to overcome the penalties from not taking his time. A manuver-length warp takes a -5, a 'free' warp takes a -10. Reliable for the free warp costs +50%. I've heard it argued that reliable that can only be used to offset time penalties is worth half, but that's not RAW, that's just something I've heard argued (it certainly isn't worth the full +5% per level)

I wouldn't add linked. You can't activate both abilities in the same maneuver, and the special portal limitation covers the rest.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Temperature Control, with Heat, might be needed for the heating if being particularly strict. Create and Control, probably with heavy limitations might also be needed.
Create and Control would work because rules for doing damage are already included.

In my opinion, Temperature Control is a poor choice to model an attack. Powers recommends using a look up table to figure out when things melt. Allowing people to buy levels high enough to do damage to people only makes things worse for the GM.

So I would use Innate Attack over Temperature Control for this purpose. Fewer headaches for the GM that way. And the player is paying for the intended effect rather than the fluff.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think the closest is 'special portal'. Given that he can move the portal around, but there is only one of them at most and it requires set up, its probably between -40% and -60%. Its in powers.

The sight limitation is sense-based (reversed, sight) -20%. Not part of castling, but good to get down. Its in powers.

If he wants to warp quickly, he'll need an advantage to overcome the penalties from not taking his time. A manuver-length warp takes a -5, a 'free' warp takes a -10. Reliable for the free warp costs +50%. I've heard it argued that reliable that can only be used to offset time penalties is worth half, but that's not RAW, that's just something I've heard argued (it certainly isn't worth the full +5% per level)

I wouldn't add linked. You can't activate both abilities in the same maneuver, and the special portal limitation covers the rest.
That sounds doable. Even to pcs if they feel like sinking the points into it. Warps what some 100points normal? So that make it some what? 38 points final cost if the 'castling' effect is -50%

Tags
limitations, modifiers, powers, psionic