Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
Plane

Default using Affliction to stop Drunk?

B36 makes it clear that if you or another afflicter used "Advantage" you could if you had "Negated Advantage" remove that. Like "Disadvantage" the % equals the CP value subtracted from target.

Powers later added "Negated Disadvantage" so you could do the same thing the other way. It's priced like enhancement, 10x the % as CP added to target.

Irritants are not technically disadvantages but they seem to operate the same way (no followup stun as incapacitation: replaces it ... lasts MoF minutes) so if we view as Drunk [-20] as a normally permanent always-on disadvantage you can afflict briefly (MoF minutes) for +20%, should that mean you could have a "Negated Drunk +200%" enhancement too?

That would cost 30 points for an Affliction ONLY capable of doing that, if so.

I know the other way to remove Afflictions is via Healing so I could try to emulate that from the other direction.

I think one unavoidable difference though is that Healing's P51 Cure Affliction / Affliction Only options will permanently remove an affliction (erase remaining duration) whereas I think "Negated Disadvantage" keeps the original duration intact and "layers" the Negation atop it, cancelling the disadvantage only so long as the Negation lasts, and then the original disadvantage resumes effect unless the duration ran out during that period.

You could use "Cancellation" to remove "Negated Drunk" early for example to send them back to drunk, but you can't "cancel" having healed an affliction to put it back AFAIK anymore than you can 'cancel' restored HP or a cured illness.

Contrast for sensing powers would be healing removes 1 effect (no remaining effects) while AvA layers would be detected as 2 effects?

One interesting tactic might be to briefly negate a long-term disadvantage affliction via short-term NegDis to give "prep time" to go find a healer, or build up the FP needed to use Healing on it?

EG "Drunk Forever" is +320% needing IQ-6 and 12 FP to completely remove, but if you could spam "Fixed Time +0% Reduced Duration -35% Melee -35% Contact Agent -20% Negated Drunk +200%) [31] to get "not drunk for 3 seconds", that could help you prep your healing with a clear head.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, drunk, healing, irritant, negated disadvantage