Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Jaware

Default Quick question about a modifier that I don't know if it exists or not.

I'm looking to see if there is a modifier for "maintainable" somewhere in the books that I don't know of.

If there is, I would greatly appreciate some enlightenment.

If there isn't, I would greatly appreciate someone telling me if they have found a way to emulate this.

What I'm doing is making a "spell" out of advantage. I'm wanting to make an "armor" spell from magic but out of advantages. Pretty much the same 2 energy for 1 DR, half that to maintain, 1 minute duration, etc.

I'm just looking for a modifier for maintainable. If such a thing exists.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Emerald Cat

Default Re: Quick question about a modifier that I don't know if it exists or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
What I'm doing is making a "spell" out of advantage. I'm wanting to make an "armor" spell from magic but out of advantages. Pretty much the same 2 energy for 1 DR, half that to maintain, 1 minute duration, etc.

I'm just looking for a modifier for maintainable. If such a thing exists.
This is one of the options for the Costs FP limitation from the Basic set.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #3
Jaware

Default Re: Quick question about a modifier that I don't know if it exists or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
This is one of the options for the Costs FP limitation from the Basic set.
Thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

I already have everything about the cost. I'm looking to see if there is something official that lets me buy some of the "duration limitation" from powers (it's currently at -65% because of the 1 minute duration) down some by letting me 'maintain' the spell by paying half the cost I paid to activate them.

If there's not something official, than I can Frankenstein something together, but I'd rather look for something that actually exists in game first.

Sort of like a mitigator in the basic set. Except for something other than just limitations.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Anaraxes

The Costs FP Limitation on page 111 already includes the notion of paying half cost for all intervals after the initial activation interval; "maintenance", in other words.

I assume we're talking about the Maximum Duration Limitation in Powers (-65% for 1 minute). That doesn't just change the activation interval; it disables the power for five minutes after use.

Strictly speaking by RAW, this seems like an Either/Or Limitation. Either you have the Maximum Duration (which you accept whenever you don't want to maintain the ability), or you have just Costs FP, with the normal half cost to maintain (which you accept as long as you want to keep maintaining the ability).

It's not a perfect fit because the Either/Or choice is normally made when the ability is used, rather than later on. But perhaps that's minor enough to ignore.

It's also a little quirky the way I first put it, since the Costs FP path wouldn't have the 5-minute recharge time afterward, and the Max Duration doesn't have an activation cost. So, for a smoother build, I'd actually suggest Costs FP (X), Either (Maximum Duration (-65%) Or (Takes Recharge (-20%)). That should get you some activation cost in FP both ways. Either path will require a 5-minute recharge afterward. The maintenance cost is moot in the Max Duration path, since you can't maintain it.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Costs FP already makes you pay up or not pay up in 1 minute intervals, anyway. No need to incur a 5 minute cooldown, or do extra math for an Either/Or limitation.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The Costs FP Limitation on page 111 already includes the notion of paying half cost for all intervals after the initial activation interval; "maintenance", in other words.

I assume we're talking about the Maximum Duration Limitation in Powers (-65% for 1 minute). That doesn't just change the activation interval; it disables the power for five minutes after use.

Strictly speaking by RAW, this seems like an Either/Or Limitation. Either you have the Maximum Duration (which you accept whenever you don't want to maintain the ability), or you have just Costs FP, with the normal half cost to maintain (which you accept as long as you want to keep maintaining the ability).

It's not a perfect fit because the Either/Or choice is normally made when the ability is used, rather than later on. But perhaps that's minor enough to ignore.

It's also a little quirky the way I first put it, since the Costs FP path wouldn't have the 5-minute recharge time afterward, and the Max Duration doesn't have an activation cost. So, for a smoother build, I'd actually suggest Costs FP (X), Either (Maximum Duration (-65%) Or (Takes Recharge (-20%)). That should get you some activation cost in FP both ways. Either path will require a 5-minute recharge afterward. The maintenance cost is moot in the Max Duration path, since you can't maintain it.
I appreciate the input. I didn't see the built in 1 minute part of costs FP.

I'm planning on it costing HP but if memory serves correctly, the powers book says that it is the same as FP but HP instead and the percentage is -10% per HP.

Thanks. I believe the problem was solved.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Costs FP already makes you pay up or not pay up in 1 minute intervals, anyway. No need to incur a 5 minute cooldown, or do extra math for an Either/Or limitation.
Yup. The guy right above you pointed me in the direction a half second before I got to yours.

But you are correct, It's been a long time since I've read all of the entries in the basic set. I forgot about that little part.

Tags
modifiers, powers, spells