Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
vitruvian

Default Monster Hunters 1: Cryokinesis and Vampires

Vampires have no FP to be attacked by Cryokinesis. Do they count as objects that become frozen when 'damage' exceeds HP, and would the consequences of being frozen include being unable to move until warmed up? Or is Cryokinesis completely ineffective when used on the undead, and they can move around even if all the water in their bodies has been turned to ice crystals?

I'm getting images of Elijah Snow kicking out Dracula's frozen crotch from Planetary....
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Monster Hunters 1: Cryokinesis and Vampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Vampires have no FP to be attacked by Cryokinesis. Do they count as objects that become frozen when 'damage' exceeds HP, and would the consequences of being frozen include being unable to move until warmed up? Or is Cryokinesis completely ineffective when used on the undead, and they can move around even if all the water in their bodies has been turned to ice crystals?

I'm getting images of Elijah Snow kicking out Dracula's frozen crotch from Planetary....
I'd say they are objects for the purposes of Cryokinesis as they don't have FP.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I'd say they are objects for the purposes of Cryokinesis as they don't have FP.
I'm thinking that's fair, as they shouldn't be totally immune to an attack form that can affect mechanical and homogenous objects for the price of a 0 pt Feature. However, would you say when frozen at HP of cold 'damage', they would be physically immobilized, or would you reserve that for the 2xHP 'lock up permanently' level, roughly equivalent to where a living human would have to start making HT rolls against death?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
I'm thinking that's fair, as they shouldn't be totally immune to an attack form that can affect mechanical and homogenous objects for the price of a 0 pt Feature. However, would you say when frozen at HP of cold 'damage', they would be physically immobilized, or would you reserve that for the 2xHP 'lock up permanently' level, roughly equivalent to where a living human would have to start making HT rolls against death?
Basic, pg 483. Objects start making HT checks at HP 0 to avoid being disabled. Objects start making death checks at -(HPx1).

The text in Cryokinesis implies that you don't roll, and so they automatically fail those checks with the appropriate consequences for doing so.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
PK

I'd let you treat vampires as "objects" for Cryokinesis purposes. However, to be fair, the listed effects (disabled at 0 HP, frozen solid at -HP) should only happen if the vamp fails a HT roll. Objects being assumed to fail their HT rolls was something added strictly to speed up play -- it wasn't something added for balance issues. So if a psi will be using his ability to try and take out vamps, the HT roll should really be added back in to preserve balance.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I'd let you treat vampires as "objects" for Cryokinesis purposes. However, to be fair, the listed effects (disabled at 0 HP, frozen solid at -HP) should only happen if the vamp fails a HT roll. Objects being assumed to fail their HT rolls was something added strictly to speed up play -- it wasn't something added for balance issues. So if a psi will be using his ability to try and take out vamps, the HT roll should really be added back in to preserve balance.
That seems fair enough to me; no reason their HT rolls should be nerfed, I just didn't figure it made sense for them to be immune.

In fact, since they do have Unkillable, I would just have them start rolling against immobilization at 0 HP, say they are presumptively frozen solid like a block of ice or a turkey that's been in the back of the freezer for too long at -5xHP, and let them recover from freezing fully if actually thawed out, since no actual HP damage is being taken.

However, if frozen solid, I'd treat them as Fragile:Brittle, so that strong PCs could pretty easily kick them into shards of icy flesh or shatter them with a fall off a rooftop.

Tags
monster hunters, psi, psionics