Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-21-2022, 08:39 AM   #11
Rasputin

Default Re: Springing Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's not inconvenient at all before the fight starts
AND you are within a yard of the foe you're about to fight. That doesn't describe most fights I've had.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
AND you are within a yard of the foe you're about to fight. That doesn't describe most fights I've had.
Within four yards. Springing attack gives you two steps, and Miao Miao has an edged rapier. She also has decent Stealth.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-21-2022 at 03:10 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #13
Dalin

Might be interesting to add it to the Thief template and see if it is more useful in combination with a backstab.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:17 PM   #14
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Might be interesting to add it to the Thief template and see if it is more useful in combination with a backstab.
I am not so sure that would work. The Thief's victim would have an entire turn to move or just turn around and wack the thief one.

BTW, what happens when the delver's victim goes before the delver in initiative order?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:03 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I am not so sure that would work. The Thief's victim would have an entire turn to move or just turn around and wack the thief one.
Presumably they don't know you are there and are moving at no more than a walk.

Quote:
BTW, what happens when the delver's victim goes before the delver in initiative order?
I can see how that might matter, but most of the times I would use it, it wouldn't. Also faster than the swashbucklier is typically pretty rare.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #16
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
Before the fight starts is extremely niche situation.
I have a character who currently prefers to start fights with Power Blow and Flying Leap... so Springing Attack isn't that niche for my situations.

Granted, we tend to be the ambushers so maybe our tactics just mesh better with these sorts of abilities.

(Also, I have to admit since we use the Extra Effort in Combat options from Basic and Martial Arts it is an absolutely terrible option for my games and it's price would need to either be adjusted, or allow it to stack with Giant Step.)
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:05 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
(Also, I have to admit since we use the Extra Effort in Combat options from Basic and Martial Arts it is an absolutely terrible option for my games and it's price would need to either be adjusted, or allow it to stack with Giant Step.)
I don't see why it wouldn't stack with Giant Step.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #18
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't stack with Giant Step.
Because my groups don't allow double dipping like that in general. Springing Attack is Striking ST 2 (Requires Ready, -10%) plus the Perk Extra Option: Can Use Giant Step Extra Effort.

Thus, it's "double dipping" to use Giant Step twice... and a Perk is a little cheap for a "can use an Extra Effort in Combat" option twice on one attack.

So my Players would look at it as "why not just buy Striking ST 2 and use Giant Step"? Granted because it's an "ability" with the math hidden away, it could stack to go above the normal limits, but I've never seen a PC hit their racial Attribute limits in a game anyway...
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Because my groups don't allow double dipping like that in general. Springing Attack is Striking ST 2 (Requires Ready, -10%) plus the Perk Extra Option: Can Use Giant Step Extra Effort.
Oh, yeah in that case, I agree.

Quote:
So my Players would look at it as "why not just buy Striking ST 2 and use Giant Step"? Granted because it's an "ability" with the math hidden away, it could stack to go above the normal limits, but I've never seen a PC hit their racial Attribute limits in a game anyway...
Well yeah if you are using options for free that DFRPG has a cost for it makes sense to disregard those options.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #20
Kalzazz

I'd let it Stack for sure, it seems an iffy enough purchase already so why not

I definitely see characters pegged against the limits on ST at times, the delta between 'no longer hits like a feather duster' and 'maxed out' just isn't that big
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote