Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
MWnRNC

Default 40K Technology Skills

I'm preparing to run a Warhammer 40,000-inspired Action campaign and I'm hoping for some advice and discussion on how to handle technology skills of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

For those not familiar with 40K, Tech-Priests control access to and learning about technology in the Imperium. While tech is widely available, very few understand how it actually works. Even the Mechanicus regards technology through a lens of superstition and ritual. Technomats are able to perform basic maintenance on consumer tech and weapons, but a tech-priest is required for anything more complex.

Given the often-schizophrenic nature of 40K tech, I've decided to ditch TLs for skills for this campaign.

So far, I'm thinking:
  • Armoury - Mechanicus only
  • Chemistry - Mechanicus only
  • Machinist - Freely available
  • Mechanic - Mechanicus only; Technomats attempt repairs at Machinist default
  • Electrician - Mechanicus only
  • Electronics Operation - Freely available
  • Electronics Repair - Mechanicus only; Technomats attempt repairs at Electronics Operation default
  • Engineering - Definitely Mechanicus only, perhaps their most guarded skill
Does this sound reasonable? Would "Mechanicus Trained" as a perk allowing access to the restricted skills be underpriced? Should people from Hive or Forge worlds, or self-reliant Frontier worlders, have access to some of these without special training?

I appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by MWnRNC; 05-31-2017 at 11:39 AM.
MWnRNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Gedrin

Default Re: 40K Technology Skills

Given the Empire's approach to technology, you may wish something more radical.

IRL we approach tech from principles of of operation. The sun shines on the panel producing electricity. We clean the panel so light can reach it. If someone parks their RV in front of the panel, casting it in shadow, we ask them to move the RV.

In the Imperium, almost no one knows why it works. They're told that as they must be pure of spirit to do his work, so the panel must be pure. They preform a ritual cleansing daily. This works well...until... a traveler parks in the way, the panel. Clearly there's heresy. They purge the heresy, burning the traveler and all his possessions. This also WORKS, as the panel can continue in giving the blessings of the Emperor.

These are some Imperials with skills like Electronics, but this is almost exclusively in maintenance specialties. Any sort of theory or creative background is restricted and/or heretical. A selection of rituals (techniques), is probably appropriate for most people. A space marine might have Armory(Imperial Armory) with techniques like Ritual of Plasgun Purification and Rite of Promethium Transfer. Being higher than normal IQ human(?), he might figure our the principles, but his indoctrination and understanding of Chaos would tend to limit his views. I'd make the base skill easy, but require the rituals.

From the technical staff of the Imperium, I'd open narrow discipline skills. Even something like Armory(power armor) represents a wide and diverse array of technology, much of it still beyond the understanding of those using it. However, like most really good, mature, tech, operation and maintenance is very easy (unless you've fallen a few TL and think the "secondary power cell empty" light means "system online").

Inside the Adeptus, there you can find the IQ hard narrow disciplines that deal with actually understanding the tech. This is where the "book skills" would be available, at appropriate TL. However, it's a patchwork. Fundamentals, say Physics, are most decayed. Operation the least. Maintenance in the middle. I'd only allow small slices of skills, treat them all as high secrets, and not bother with any sort of reasoning. Two Adeptus might have Physics(fusion) at the same TL, and think the other mad because of different, human, cultural origins filtered through 10k years.

If this sounds like a nightmare world where technicians, engineers and science characters would be miserable... Just imagine the reaction you boss gives you when you suggest that the Emperor's Angels of Death should move the sacrec land raider, because it's the reason the divine power slate isn't working...
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
Clearly there's heresy.
There is always Heresy!

Quote:
These are some Imperials with skills like Electronics, but this is almost exclusively in maintenance specialties. Any sort of theory or creative background is restricted and/or heretical. A selection of rituals (techniques), is probably appropriate for most people. A space marine might have Armory(Imperial Armory) with techniques like Ritual of Plasgun Purification and Rite of Promethium Transfer. Being higher than normal IQ human(?), he might figure our the principles, but his indoctrination and understanding of Chaos would tend to limit his views. I'd make the base skill easy, but require the rituals.
I would base all of those off the the usage skill (Elect Op (X), Guns (X), Broadsword (VIbro/Power), etc) as Repair Techniques requiring Theology (12) to learn.

Same with the Power Armor of the Astartes.

Quote:
If this sounds like a nightmare world where technicians, engineers and science characters would be miserable... Just imagine the reaction you boss gives you when you suggest that the Emperor's Angels of Death should move the sacrec land raider, because it's the reason the divine power slate isn't working...
The Angels of Death Landraider driver should know the Litany by heart:

To cast shadow upon The Emperor's Works is BLASPHEMY.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
MWnRNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post

From the technical staff of the Imperium, I'd open narrow discipline skills. Even something like Armory(power armor) represents a wide and diverse array of technology, much of it still beyond the understanding of those using it. However, like most really good, mature, tech, operation and maintenance is very easy (unless you've fallen a few TL and think the "secondary power cell empty" light means "system online").

Inside the Adeptus, there you can find the IQ hard narrow disciplines that deal with actually understanding the tech. This is where the "book skills" would be available, at appropriate TL. However, it's a patchwork. Fundamentals, say Physics, are most decayed. Operation the least. Maintenance in the middle. I'd only allow small slices of skills, treat them all as high secrets, and not bother with any sort of reasoning. Two Adeptus might have Physics(fusion) at the same TL, and think the other mad because of different, human, cultural origins filtered through 10k years.
Thanks for the idea! I think this is actually a lot more evocative of 40K. I'm thinking I will allow techniques for all players, with a Mechanicus Training perk for each IQ/A technical skill they wish to learn, along with a Theology (Cult Mechanicus)-12 requirement. The Hard and Very Hard skills would require Rank in the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Are things like Diagnosis, Physician, and Surgery (on the Medicae side) and Forensics also under Mechanicus purview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

I would base all of those off the the usage skill (Elect Op (X), Guns (X), Broadsword (VIbro/Power), etc) as Repair Techniques requiring Theology (12) to learn.

Same with the Power Armor of the Astartes.
That's a good idea. Would the techniques be Average and have the straight default from the Attribute? I.e., one of my players is a sniper assassin with Tech-Rite (Repair Longlas) and Tech-Rite (Bypass electronic locks), both default to IQ-5 since he lacks the Armoury and Elec. Ops. (Security) skills.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWnRNC View Post
That's a good idea. Would the techniques be Average and have the straight default from the Attribute? I.e., one of my players is a sniper assassin with Tech-Rite (Repair Longlas) and Tech-Rite (Bypass electronic locks), both default to IQ-5 since he lacks the Armoury and Elec. Ops. (Security) skills.
I'd probably prefer them (personally) to default from the usage skill, so Tech-Rite (Repair Long-Las) would default from Guns (Long-Las), but allowing them to come straight off a stat is also a very workable idea... but they can't be used straight off the stat with out first investing the initial character point (or requiring a Perk - Tech Rite [Specific Rite] Defaults To IQ [1]). Otherwise their is no point to ever buying skills...

So my Tech Rites would look like this (for example):

Techniques:
Tech-Rite (Litany of Repair: Weapon Type)
Average
Defaults: Guns (Weapon Type) -5, Melee (Weapon Type).
Prerequisites: Mechanicus Training; Guns (Weapon Type) or Melee (Weapon Type) or IQ; cannot exceed prerequisite skill +4.
This technique allows you to repair the Weapon Type and any other similar weapon (subject to penalties). You may also make attempts to build or modify your weapon type at a further -5.

For example, Litany of Repair: Long-Las would allow the character to repair the Long-Las as well as any other Lasgun; Lasguns at -2 (power pack differences), Laspistols at -4 (barrel and power pack differences), Hot-Shot Lasguns at -8 (power pack, barrel, cooling system, rarity), and Hot-Shot Laspistols at -8 (power pack, barrel, cooling system, handcrafted). Further oddities of Lasguns (say Jezzailli or Las-Locks) would be at greater penalties, if even allowed.

Litany of Repair Lasguns would have a -2 to repair Laspistols (barrel) or Long-Las (power pack difference) and -8 for Hot-Shot Lasguns and Laspistols (everything really is different). Litany of Repair Laspistol is at -2 to Lasguns, -4 to Long-Las (barrel and power pack), -6 Hot-Shot Laspistols (power pack, cooling system, and handcrafted), -8 to Hot-Shot Lasguns (power pack, barrel, cooling system, rarity).

If the character instead had Litany of Repair: Broadsword (Power), they could repair their Power Sword as well as other melee power weapons, Knives and Spears/Lances at -2 (size difference), Mauls and Axes at a -2 (power field alignment difference), Gauntlets and Lightning Claws at -6 (size, field alignment, and control differences), and a Crozius Arcanum at -10 (size, field alignment, controls, rarity, and HERESY IF TOUCHED differences). They could not use this Litany to effect repairs on C'Tan Phase Blades, Force weapons, or Chain weapons.

Tech-Rite (Litany of Electronic Lock Breaking)
Average
Defaults: Electronic Operations (Any) -5, any Tech repair skill -5.
Prerequisites: Mechanicus Training; Electronic Operations (Any) or any Tech repair skill or IQ; cannot exceed prerequisite skill +3.
This Litany allows you to bypass or sabotage electronic locks and door controls. At a further -5 you can deactivate or bypass electronic sensors and cameras.

Perks:
Mechanicus Training (Levelable) - Every level of this perk allows you to purchase a Tech-Rite.
Prerequisite: 1 character point spent in Theology (Emperor of Man) or have the Adeptus Mechanicus Scribe UB.

And of course...

Unusual Background
Adeptus Mechanicus Scribe [10]
This UB allows you to buy any Tech-Rites you wish (subject to perk limitations) as well as a narrow group (4-5) of Technological skills, subject to GM approval. Must have Theology (Cult Mechanicus) at 12.

Another option is liberal use of the Skill Adaptation Perk, in this case The Litany of Repair (Long-Las) is bought as so:

Perk: Skill Adaptation Armoury (Repair) to Guns (Long-Las): This allows your Guns (Long-Las) skill to let you effect repairs as though you had Armoury (Long-Las). You may not modify or build weapons*.

You can just call it "Perk: Litany of Repair Long-Las", I just prefer to use the GURPS Perk names.

* This would require buying the Skill Adaptation Armoury (Build) to Guns (Long-Las) or Skill Adaptation Armoury (Modify) to Guns (Long-Las) perks.

This isn't as intricate or expensive as using Techniques, and it also means your sniper with a high Guns (Long-Las) will also be an expert at repairs to his gun for ridiculously cheap.

Quote:
Are things like Diagnosis, Physician, and Surgery (on the Medicae side) and Forensics also under Mechanicus purview?
Not really. Though you may certainly limit those skills to say 12-14 (or whatever) to represent poor educational standards. Granted AM Scribes (Medicae) should be allowed to exceed this as well as anyone with a Nobility backhground. Indeed, Noble characters would also likely have some tech skills, whether this be from mechanicus training or having HERESY in their bloodline.

Last edited by evileeyore; 06-02-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
MWnRNC

Thanks for all the advice and examples evileeyore! It looks really workable.

Quote:
Tech-Rite (Litany of Electronic Lock Breaking)
Average
Defaults: Electronic Operations (Any) -5, any Tech repair skill -5.
Prerequisites: Mechanicus Training; Electronic Operations (Any) or any Tech repair skill or IQ; cannot exceed prerequisite skill +3.
This Litany allows you to bypass or sabotage electronic locks and door controls. At a further -5 you can deactivate or bypass electronic sensors and cameras.
So would non-Mechanicus characters be allowed to purchase Electronics Ops or Tech Repair skills up to a certain level without the Mechanicus Scribe Unusual Background? Or would the Mechanicus Training perk allow them to purchase only the background skills as well? From the UB, it sounds like you'd be unable to purchase straight tech skills without it.

Quote:
Unusual Background
This UB allows you to buy any Tech-Rites you wish (subject to perk limitations) as well as a narrow group (4-5) of Technological skills, subject to GM approval. Must have Theology (Cult Mechanicus) at 12.
What about tying this to Mechanicus Rank? For every level, you can purchase an additional Tech-Rite and an additional technological skill? Hereteks could purchase a leveled 5pt Unusual Background to replicate this, or convert to Rank to UB if they leave the Mechanicus.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Gedrin

Quote:
The Angels of Death Landraider driver should know the Litany by heart:

To cast shadow upon The Emperor's Works is BLASPHEMY.
So, are the marines corrupt?
Are you corrupt for doubting them?
Is it an Eldar plot where they move the panel to the shadows to sow discord?

Thus began an inquisition lasting a decade and costing tens of thousands of lives, which no one really noticed on a macro level.

Actual cause. Twelve thousand year old Landraider just wanted some sun.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWnRNC View Post
So would non-Mechanicus characters be allowed to purchase Electronics Ops or Tech Repair skills up to a certain level without the Mechanicus Scribe Unusual Background?
I would certainly allow it within reason. They have to use radios and security cameras and radar and such.

Personally I'd impose a setting switch, anyone can purchase some tech skills up to say a cap of 12 or spending 1 character point, whichever is higher.

Quote:
Or would the Mechanicus Training perk allow them to purchase only the background skills as well? From the UB, it sounds like you'd be unable to purchase straight tech skills without it.
Sorry, that should read:

This UB allows you to buy any Tech-Rites you wish (subject to perk limitations) as well as a narrow group (4-5) of Technological skills up to any level, subject to GM approval. Must have Theology (Cult Mechanicus) at 12.

Quote:
What about tying this to Mechanicus Rank?
Sure! In that case I'd go this route:

Unusual Background:
Adeptus Mechanicus Induction [5]
Prerequisites: Four Tech skills at 12 or higher, Theology (Cult Mechanicus) at 12, Adeptus Mechanicus Rank.
You are one of the vaunted Tech Priests! Your knowledge of the arcane rites of tech are unsurpassed. You may purchase a small group of Tech skills (4-5, subject to GM's approval) to unlimited levels and as many Tech-Rites as you wish (Tech-Rites do no count against campaign perk limitations). For each rank you achieve you may purchase a further small set of tech skills (to unlimited levels) to represent your growing understanding and broadening of your responsibilities within the Cult of the Machine.

Adeptus Mechanicus Rank 5/level

Example Mechanicus Rank Chart (which is probably wrong*)

Deaconate Ministries
Rank 0 - Status 0 - Scribe. Learning Brother, apprenticed to a Deacon.
Rank 1 - Status 0 - Deacon. Service Brother.

Ordinaries
Rank 1 - Status 1 - Tech Priest

Hmmm. I'll have to give this more thought tonight after work. Maybe over the next couple of days.

* I don't have time to dig into Adeptus lore at the moment to figure out a correct hierarchy chart.

Quote:
For every level, you can purchase an additional Tech-Rite and an additional technological skill? Hereteks could purchase a leveled 5pt Unusual Background to replicate this, or convert to Rank to UB if they leave the Mechanicus.
As I note above, I'd let an Adeptus Mechanicus run wild with Tech-Rites, they are no where near as useful as actually learning the skills.

You might however want to tie requiring Theology (Cult of the Machine) to being the non-heretical limit of a Tech Priest's tech skills. For simplicity just set Theology (CotM) as the limit for any Tech skill an Adeptus Mechanicus has. For non-Tech Priests, have them occasional get grilled by an Episcopal Bishop in the Church of the Emperor to make sure their knowledge and skills aren't heretical (Theology (EoM) skill tests).

For non-AM...

Anyone with Status or Rank 1+ could get away with a few skills above 12... say for every level of Rank/Status (purchased or via Wealth) they could have 1 tech skill above 12, legally. As in they might get leaned on by the Ordo Hereticus (Status and Wealth) or the Chamber militant (Rank), but their social standing and power give them leeway in their knowledge. Having some level of Theology (Emperor of Man) is a must!

And then there are the...

Unusual Background
Heretic! [-15]
You may purchase a few tech skills above 12, with GM approval. Note, you have done so outside the rigid caste system of the Empire and against Church Doctrine, you will be hunted if your heretical knowledge becomes known. Hide your skills well. Whether this knowledge comes from exposure to filthy xenos, mind-warping demons and evil cultists, or just from raw talent makes no difference! Though, in the later case depending on exactly who finds you out, you might be allowed to buy this trait off and purchase either Adeptus Mechanicus Training, Adeptus Mechanicus Induction, or some other special circumstances Unusual Background with GM approval.

(This trait combines May Exceed Skill Caps [5] and Secret (Death) [-20] into one trait)