Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2021, 05:12 AM   #61
Balor Patch

Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Area = X/2 sq miles (to sync what we've been doing with the table on RM pg.4.)

Steps to getting size alone:
Area = (e^(ln(10)/6))^2)^size / 2
2*Area = (e^(ln(10)/6))^2)^size
ln(2*Area) = size * ln((e^(ln(10)/6))^2))
ln(2*Area) / ln((e^(ln(10)/6))^2)) = size

or:
ln(2*Area) / 0.767528364 = size
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:17 AM   #62
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Area = X/2 sq miles (to sync what we've been doing with the table on RM pg.4.)

Steps to getting size alone:
Area = (e^(ln(10)/6))^2)^size / 2
2*Area = (e^(ln(10)/6))^2)^size
ln(2*Area) = size * ln((e^(ln(10)/6))^2))
ln(2*Area) / ln((e^(ln(10)/6))^2)) = size

or:
ln(2*Area) / 0.767528364 = size
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #63
Anthony

Why on earth express it as X = (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2)^Size instead of Power(10,Size/3)? The whole (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2) evaluates to the cube root of 10. Under the hood, power(x,y) is actually translated into exp(ln(x)*y) because for non-integer values of y it's much easier, but there's no need to expose it.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-26-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:11 AM   #64
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Why on earth express it as X = (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2)^Size instead of Power(10,Size/3)? The whole (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2) evaluates to the cube root of 10. Under the hood, power(x,y) is actually translated into exp(ln(x)*y) because for non-integer values of y it's much easier, but there's no need to expose it.
So Area = X/2 actually becomes Area = e^(ln(10)*Size/3)/2?

2*Area = e^(ln(10)*Size/3)
ln(2*Area) = ln(10)*Size/3
(ln(2*Area) / ln(10)) * 3 = Size

That is a far saner equation. Thanks
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:12 AM   #65
maximara
On Notice

Oh. While I am thinking of it what value was used for Krypton in the chart? In fact, Krypton has had so much variation that it was even used is puzzling.

For example, Krypton in Action #500 pg 31 is shown far larger than Earth (it appears to be double the diameter of Earth). In the early post Crisis DCU it was the size of Earth and in Superman Red Son it was Earth of the far future (And yes the "L" in Jor-L stands for exactly what you think it does).
Old 09-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #66
Confutus

Since I'm using GURPS as a fiction writing tool, I was at first much pleased with Realm Management. Then I started applying it to some real-world nations as a plausibility check, and found a problem with Carrying Capacity. Mock China and Pseudo-India cannot feed themselves, so which of their neighbors is feeding hundreds of millions of people? On further digging, I found that Extra/Reduced Carrying Capacity can be be purchased as a realm enhancement/limitation. (p. 25) This might have been specified in the initial discussion on p. 10, if space had permitted. But there was only one level of enhancement mentioned, and I needed two or three. And then I found in the examples (p. 27) that Zarthus has 3 levels of Reduced Carrying Capacity. So Mock China and Pseudo-India can feed themselves (for a price), the RAW aren't as busted as I thought, and I'm happier.
Confutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #67
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confutus View Post
Since I'm using GURPS as a fiction writing tool, I was at first much pleased with Realm Management. Then I started applying it to some real-world nations as a plausibility check, and found a problem with Carrying Capacity. Mock China and Pseudo-India cannot feed themselves, so which of their neighbors is feeding hundreds of millions of people? On further digging, I found that Extra/Reduced Carrying Capacity can be be purchased as a realm enhancement/limitation. (p. 25) This might have been specified in the initial discussion on p. 10, if space had permitted. But there was only one level of enhancement mentioned, and I needed two or three. And then I found in the examples (p. 27) that Zarthus has 3 levels of Reduced Carrying Capacity. So Mock China and Pseudo-India can feed themselves (for a price), the RAW aren't as busted as I thought, and I'm happier.
During playtesting there were long discussions about how to balance (complexity and accuracy) with (simplicity and ease of use) when it came to carrying capacity.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #68
Christopher R. Rice

We had to err on the side of simplicity to start. Maybe other books will make things more complicated, but I wanted it to be a tool other game systems can use as well as GURPS.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:52 AM   #69
Emerikol

I own City Stats, Board Rooms and Curia, and Realms. I love them all. I love worldbuilding and as both a GM and an aspiring novelist I find these to be useful.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #70
Been

I must admit I would like to see kingdoms that have little farming but vast mineral wealth ( Your typical dwarf mountain hold)
Been is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
realm management