Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #51
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Don't feel bad. I don't recall it either. I'll go digging in emails when I have some time.
I wish there were more under the hood pieces as to how one got to the values given. For example, for speed and distance, I find it is easier just to plug in the longest length into the 6 x log (Sum of Distance and Speed in Yards) -2 equation than using the table especially when you get to something way outside the table.

I might add with interstellar realms planets may be regarded as resources not places to live on especially as the Realm gets closer to K2 status.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:15 PM   #52
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Just out of curiosity what equation did you use? I ask because I assume we are rounding to the nearest integer as with Size.

Right now I an figuring out the middle points as being the 12th root of 100 per half step. Is this correct?
X = (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2)^Size
Round to one decimal for Size < 7, zero decimals for 7+.

That's X ≈ 2.15^Size
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:04 AM   #53
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
X = (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2)^Size
Round to one decimal for Size < 7, zero decimals for 7+.

That's X ≈ 2.15^Size
So we have the scientific notation (EXP) of the natural Log (LN) divided by 6 all taken to the second power, correct?

I might at at TL10+ the ability to create huge space structures people live on sends Size into orbit (pun intended).
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:55 AM   #54
whswhs

Quote:
So we have the scientific notation (EXP) of the natural Log (LN) divided by 6 all taken to the second power, correct?

I might at at TL10+ the ability to create huge space structures people live on sends Size into orbit (pun intended).
Exp here does not mean scientific notation (in fact, it's not the usual notation for that; more usual is, for example, 9.86E1, or formally 9.86 x 10^1). Exp means "raise e to the power of the following value," where e is the base of natural logarithms (that is, it undoes the Ln operation). That is, you're moving into the logarithmic domain and then moving back out to the domain of the original values.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #55
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I wish there were more under the hood pieces as to how one got to the values given.
You have no idea how hard it was to squeeze everything into this book. It went through 11 revisions from the first draft. I did the best I could with the word allotment I was given. I literally excised a chapter from the original manuscript so that I could fit everything folks needed to make realms and there were still things I was forced to leave out. Squeezing in more under the hood bits would have required removing other bits for play and I banked on buyers preferring the latter than the former.

This is not me being defensive, but rather explaining why there isn't more under the hood bits in the book. TL;DR - there just wasn't room.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #56
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
You have no idea how hard it was to squeeze everything into this book. It went through 11 revisions from the first draft.
I'd like to hear how this makes sense from a business standpoint. Obviously, if a book is going to be printed, it makes sense to cut it down to a given size to ensure that manufacturing costs are manageable, but I very much doubt there are any plans for this book to see a print run. I understand that editing a longer work takes more time and effort than editing a short work, but I would have thought that condensing a naturally longer work into a shorter one would also be an effort-intense endeavor- or do they push that stage of the project entirely onto the author and only give it to paid editors afterwards?
Old 04-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #57
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I'd like to hear how this makes sense from a business standpoint. Obviously, if a book is going to be printed, it makes sense to cut it down to a given size to ensure that manufacturing costs are manageable, but I very much doubt there are any plans for this book to see a print run. I understand that editing a longer work takes more time and effort than editing a short work, but I would have thought that condensing a naturally longer work into a shorter one would also be an effort-intense endeavor- or do they push that stage of the project entirely onto the author and only give it to paid editors afterwards?
When I say it went through multiple revisions I meant pretty much on my part. There were things I wanted to make sure got in the final draft and that meant I had to condense, squeeze, and ease to get them in. Even with some extra space I barely fit everything I felt needed to be in. You have to hit your wordcount goals - that's literally part of the contract. You can't just go in and decide to up your supplement 10 pages and thousands of words because you to (obviously). Worse, this book was full and more when the first draft was finally done and I realized I had to kill a chapter because going through the playtest and editing process was going to add MORE words.

Kromm did some heavy lifting on this one too so I don't know what he did in this case. I do know I did checks on the "final" production PDF and still found some stuff that was off. Heck, I found a few errata after it was published (along with some kind folks who were looking too).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #58
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Exp here does not mean scientific notation (in fact, it's not the usual notation for that; more usual is, for example, 9.86E1, or formally 9.86 x 10^1). Exp means "raise e to the power of the following value," where e is the base of natural logarithms (that is, it undoes the Ln operation). That is, you're moving into the logarithmic domain and then moving back out to the domain of the original values.
So (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2)^Size actually means (e^(ln(10)/6)^2)^Size with X ≈ 2.15^Size?

But when I plug 3 into that I get 1.555 not the 5.0 area for that value and if I assume it is area (5.0) I get 2.0883 not the 3 one should get with rounding. What am I missing?
Old 04-26-2021, 01:31 AM   #59
Balor Patch

Quote:
So (EXP(LN(10)/6)^2)^Size actually means (e^(ln(10)/6)^2)^Size with X ≈ 2.15^Size?

But when I plug 3 into that I get 1.555 not the 5.0 area for that value and if I assume it is area (5.0) I get 2.0883 not the 3 one should get with rounding. What am I missing?
I'm not sure what you are missing but here is everything in tiny nibbles:

Variables:
S1 = e^(ln(10)/6) (There was a leading open parenthesis that didn't belong.)
S2 = S1^2
X = S2^Size

Numbers:
e = 2.718281828
ln(10) = 2.302585093
2.302585093 / 6 = 0.383764182

Results:
therefore S1 = 1.467799268 (which should be familiar from the SSR table)
and S2 = 2.15443469

Final example:
If Size = 3 you should get X = S2^Size = 2.15443469^3 = 10.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:47 AM   #60
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are missing but here is everything in tiny nibbles:

Variables:
S1 = e^(ln(10)/6) (There was a leading open parenthesis that didn't belong.)
This is what was throwing me off. And the leading open parenthesis does belong ; its the ending parenthesis that was in the wrong place.

Quote:
S2 = S1^2
X = S2^Size

Numbers:
e = 2.718281828
ln(10) = 2.302585093
2.302585093 / 6 = 0.383764182

Results:
therefore S1 = 1.467799268 (which should be familiar from the SSR table)
and S2 = 2.15443469

Final example:
If Size = 3 you should get X = S2^Size = 2.15443469^3 = 10.
Based on this the equation is (e^(ln(10)/6))^2)^size and I realized what the problem is.

I was looking for the equation where one can shove in the area in one end and get the size via rounding to the nearest integer out the other. Basically Formula (Area) = Size (rounded to nearest integer)

Sort of like these:

Speed/Range formula: 2 - 6*log(Distance in Yards)

Size formula: 6*log(length in yards) - 2

I know that y = u^x becomes log y = x log u, or x = (log y)/(log u) but I don't have anywhere to plug in the area.

Tags
realm management