Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #81
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Realm Management examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Yes, the Mexican peso is strongly linked to the US dollar, like the coins of several German estates were (on average, less strongly) linked to the HRE thaler.

Mexico is not a part of the USA, nevertheless.
Modern Mexico is not a part of the USA. The upper half of old Mexico (ie Texas as it originally was) is. ;-) The American Automobile Association even had a piece in their New Mexico publications called "One of our 50 is missing" outlining how clueless the rest of the nation was.

Quote:
And Mexico is not debasing/counterfeiting US coins/notes, which OTOH is exactly what Prussia did when it suited it. Not only did the Prussians did this; they also used Saxon stamps, so as to cover their traces and unload the problem on Saxony. Of course at the time both were members of the HRE, but Prussia did not find that to be a hindrance to its military occupation of Saxony.

I rest my case.
Debasing/counterfeiting coins was a common problem within kingdoms as well.The Great Debasement (1544–1551) case in point. James Burke even used the term "Half Henries" to refer to English coins of this period.

Another example, this time relating to Empires, is ancient Rome as outlined in Currency and the Collapse of the Roman Empire

It had gone from a high of 95% c. 65 CE to only 5% c. 260 and the debasing further degraded the value after that.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #82
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Evil View Post
These examples are wonderful. They will help me model a couple of realms in my fantasy setting with a similar dynamic - a feudal kingdom with a rebel duchy. I need to tweak some settings, but you've given me a better idea of how to simulate this in game terms.
Glad to read that.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #83
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
The problem with such an alternative is CSA currency was akin to a banknote ie a promissory note of credit. There was literally nothing behind it, no commodity at all not even things of value like land or slaves.
A promissory note is backed by the credit rating of the issuing entity. There are plenty of examples of that working, but they depend on the issuer being creditworthy.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #84
Michele

Quote:
NAME: The Empire
By the way, this is my first attempt with split ratings. Comments welcome... and I hope the math is right!
Old 04-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #85
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
By the way, this is my first attempt with split ratings. Comments welcome... and I hope the math is right!
I think it is right. What of interplanetary or interstellar Realms such as the Moon Kingdom (the entire Sol system) or the Old Republic/Empire?
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #86
Crystalline_Entity

My attempt at an example realm:

What if you took a rose-tinted view of a typical English town, put it in a demiplane, and powered it by magic?

Duchy of Lionsborough

Total Area: 3.7 square miles
Realm Size Value: +2
TL: 8^ (12^ for interdimensional transport)
Cultural Traits: None
Realm Inhabitant Racial Traits: None
Population (+450%*): 44,000
Citizen Loyalty: Very Good (16; +4**)
Infrastructure Rating: 5
Control Rating: 2 (4 for weapons)***
Conformity Rating: 4
Openness Rating: 5
Government Type: Representative Democracy
Economy Type: Post-Scarcity/Utopia
Defence Bonus and Terrain: +3 (urban with some parkland)
Education Rating: 6
Management Skill (+35%): 14 (Usually Reliable)
Habitability: Good (13; +1)****
Reaction-Time Modifier: +4
Realm Enhancements (+208.5%): Advanced Infrastructure 2 (+25%); Appearance (Attractive; +4%); Conventional Populace 1 (+2%); Defensible Terrain (+15%); Educated Populace 2 (+20%); Habitable Land 1 (+10% ****); High TL 4 (Limited, Large; +40%); Higher Carrying Capacity 4 (+20% *); Ideal Climate (+50% ++); Loyal Citizenry 1 (+15%); Secure Society 1 (+7.5%***)
Realm Limitations (-17%): Broad-Minded Populace 1 (-2%); Loose Society 1 (-15%***)
Patron Value: 30 points
Enemy Value: -30 points
Average monthly pay: $5,200
Realm Value: $1,065,979,200
Military Resources: $2,288,000/turn
Revenue: $11,440,000/turn
Inhabitants Status: 1** -6
Inhabitant Wealth: Comfortable – Multimillionaire 2

Notes:
* I can’t work out how you increase population over carrying capacity in a sustainable manner; for a city-state that uses magic to produce food, actual area isn’t so important. I’ve modelled this here by increasing carrying capacity to the maximum and then “buying” a higher population as suggested on p.10.
** Improved by one step for post-scarcity, which also has drawbacks.
*** I’ve modelled split CR using the same logic as split Infrastructure ratings in the book. Note weapons includes wands of offensive spells, as well as firearms!
**** An artificial demiplane with an ecosystem maintained by magic

Just under two centuries ago, the Archmage Alexis Worldstrider was travelling across the planes when they came upon a unusual convergence of mana flows. After finishing their adventuring career, they settled in this mana-rich environment, forming this own private demiplane. As their ambitions grew, various employees, contractors and hangers-on settled in the demiplane surrounding the tower, eventually growing into a good-sized town.

Alexis didn't really care about government (research was much more interesting), so they were more than willing to delegate responsibility to a "town council", which morphed over the first couple of decades into a proper representative government. Alexis, as "Duke", became a constitutional monarch, performing ceremonial duties and keeping an eye on corruption levels in the government but otherwise being steadfastly apolitical.

Alexis stepped down forty seven years after the formal founding of the town. One day they invoked a little-used power to summon the parliament, announced they were stepping down, and introduced a successor as Duke. This custom has continued, with the existing Duke nominating a successor. The Dukes are notoriously close-lipped about the process by which they choose a successor, but all have been generally benevolent and hands-off.

Now, Lionsborough (Alexis' emblem is/was a lion) is a thriving interdimensional hub. It is almost completely urbanised, with a good amount of parkland and gardens and other green spaces. Architecture tends to be white marble, with graceful butresses and gothic arches. The weather - and entire ecosystem - are maintained mostly by magic. Food and water (and removal of waste) is performed by magical conjurations (Create Food et al). About one tenth of the native population have Sorcerous Empowerment at some level, far higher than normal, but not enough to seriously stratify society. The ubiquitous access to magic, or at least magical items, means that basic needs are easily met, forming a post-scarcity utopia.

The town is at an equivalent of TL 8^, with magic replacing technology where appropriate. It is advanced to TL12^ in interdimensional transportation, having many portals to other planes and dimensions, and being easy to reach with Plane Shift spells, or equivalent psionics or superscience.

Adventure Seeds
  • What happened to Alexis? Their private chambers in the Tower are still sealed, and the rest of the Tower is now a museum. The PCs are employed to find out.
  • How are successors actually chosen? Is some sort of test or trial involved? A journalist believes the current Duke has a secret, and pays the PCs to investigate just how they became Duke.
  • The risk of invasion is low, but any army capable of travelling between dimensions is a force to be reckoned with. Can the PCs come up with a plan of attack/defence?
  • Is the town really as utopian as it seems? If something appears to be too good to be true, maybe it is!

Last edited by Crystalline_Entity; 04-22-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #87
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
Inhabitant Wealth: Comfortable – Multimillionaire 2
Nice and interesting. Well done.

However, as my own personal choice, I consider Wealth levels as "Cultural" Traits if:
a) while the average wealth of the citizens in other realms in the same world is, well Average, in this realm they are poorer or richer than the Average for the world, or
b) if in the Inhabitants' Wealth line, Average is not even a possibility.

For instance, in this case, I'd consider that since no citizen is of just Average Wealth, then Comfortable is a Cultural Trait and must be paid for (10%). Naturally that also means more revenue through taxation (one uses the Comfortable paycheck, not the Average one, as the basis for calculating that) and that's why it's an Enhancement for the realm!
Old 04-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #88
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

However, as my own personal choice, I consider Wealth levels as "Cultural" Traits if:
a) while the average wealth of the citizens in other realms in the same world is, well Average, in this realm they are poorer or richer than the Average for the world, or

For instance, in this case, I'd consider that since no citizen is of just Average Wealth, then Comfortable is a Cultural Trait and must be paid for (10%). Naturally that also means more revenue through taxation (one uses the Comfortable paycheck, not the Average one, as the basis for calculating that) and that's why it's an Enhancement for the realm!
That's an interesting way to go about it. Nice and clean really. I'll have to consider this implementation and how it affects other things (like Status).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:47 PM   #89
Crystalline_Entity

Quote:

That makes a great deal of sense to me, thank you. It does sound fairer to count Comfortable as a Cultural Trait so you're not getting something "for free". That, if my maths is correct, would amend the above profile to:

Duchy of Lionsborough - amendments
Cultural Traits (+10%): Wealth (Comfortable)
Realm Value: $1,079,707,200

Thanks for your feedback!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:54 AM   #90
(E)

I have taken the AtE example, "The New Venetian Republic" from Realm Management and written it up as a farming/how stuff works example in the farming thread here
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
realm management