Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #651
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Even worse - they removed the pipe, but now there's something else...
Oh my God. The pipe was the only thing restraining... IT.

(If an ex-human vampire requires a wooden stake, what calls for an 8-inch steel one?)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #652
adm
 
adm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MO, U.S.A.
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Sparkly vampires of the northwest?
__________________
Xenophilia is Dr. Who. Plus Lecherous is Jack Harkness.- Anaraxes
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #653
William
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Troll vampires now being mistaken for strata.

It'll take a while yet to wake up, fortunately. And when it does, it won't eat people, it'll head for the Cascades. Heck of an earthquake when it gets moving, though.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #654
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Amazon has patented the idea of shipping goods to customers...before they order.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/s...ustomers-order
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #655
Michele
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Udine, Italy
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

A big ghost ship inhabited by cannibal rats. We know it's out there somewhere in the Northern Atlantic but nobody actually knows its current position, and it might hit the Irish or Scottish coasts one of these days.

No, seriously.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-29944134.html
__________________
Michele Armellini
GURPS Locations: St. George's Cathedral
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #656
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
A big ghost ship inhabited by cannibal rats.
If nothing else, whoever thought to title this story with "ghost ship full of cannibal rats" has proven to be a master of social media. It's all over the place the past day or two.

The ship story is just a test for their delivery vehicle. They're now prepared to unleash the nam-shub of Enki across the net, watching as we participate in our own destruction.

But who are they, and what comes afterward?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #657
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
A big ghost ship inhabited by cannibal rats. We know it's out there somewhere in the Northern Atlantic but nobody actually knows its current position, and it might hit the Irish or Scottish coasts one of these days.

No, seriously.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-29944134.html
Is there some reason to suppose it's more full of more cannibalistic rats than any other one year old hulk? Is there something special about the rats that the article isn't mentioning?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #658
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Is there some reason to suppose it's more full of more cannibalistic rats than any other one year old hulk? Is there something special about the rats that the article isn't mentioning?
Not that you know of *halo*

Won't find out till you try boarding it. I'd send in the drones first.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #659
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Not that you know of *halo*

Won't find out till you try boarding it. I'd send in the drones first.
I mean is there some actual fact about the rats that make them newsworthy that I'm missing? The hulk is newsworthy; it's a navigation hazard, worth a ton of money in salvage, has a weird history, and is currently lost at sea. What makes "cannibal rats" newsworthy? "Ships have rats" and "rats will turn cannibal if there's not enough food" are "dog bites man". Where's the "man bites dog" here?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #660
RogerBW
 
RogerBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: near London, UK
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I mean is there some actual fact about the rats that make them newsworthy that I'm missing? The hulk is newsworthy; it's a navigation hazard, worth a ton of money in salvage, has a weird history, and is currently lost at sea. What makes "cannibal rats" newsworthy? "Ships have rats" and "rats will turn cannibal if there's not enough food" are "dog bites man". Where's the "man bites dog" here?
Nothing. If you drill down to the original Independent article, it's clear they talked to a couple of potential salvors, one of them hypothesised about the rats and mentioned that they'd have had to turn cannibal, and the reporter or the sub-editor made that into the money quote.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.