Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #251
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Those of you that are into music know that there are a few different ways to tune individual notes in a scale, with some esthetic differences. And since the relationship of notes is relative, as Pythagoreans were well aware, you need to pick some starting point.

It turns out that the modern standard selecting 440 Hz for "A" is actually a carefully engineered tool of the Rockefeller Foundation "that is 'herding' populations into greater aggression, psychosocial agitation, and emotional distress predisposing people to physical illnesses and financial impositions profiting the agents, agencies, and companies engaged in the monopoly."

While on the other hand, the "natural, instinctive attractive" choice of 444 Hz produces "good vibrations" that have been viciously censored.

The Rockefellers used this effect to help bring on WWII so that they could profiteer from the war industries.

http://web.mac.com/len15/MUSICAL_CUL..._Horowitz.html

Sounds like a natural fit if you ever wanted to play a "the PCs are a travelling band of adventurers/rock stars" game. The rebellious rockers in the 50s are rebelling against The Establishment, freeing young people from the insidious 440 Hz A. Or perhaps you take it back to WWII, in which case you've probably got a swing band -- in which case Glenn Miller's mysterious disappearance takes on more sinister overtones.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #252
Inquisitive Raven
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Those of you that are into music know that there are a few different ways to tune individual notes in a scale, with some esthetic differences. And since the relationship of notes is relative, as Pythagoreans were well aware, you need to pick some starting point.

It turns out that the modern standard selecting 440 Hz for "A" is actually a carefully engineered tool of the Rockefeller Foundation "that is 'herding' populations into greater aggression, psychosocial agitation, and emotional distress predisposing people to physical illnesses and financial impositions profiting the agents, agencies, and companies engaged in the monopoly."

While on the other hand, the "natural, instinctive attractive" choice of 444 Hz produces "good vibrations" that have been viciously censored.

The Rockefellers used this effect to help bring on WWII so that they could profiteer from the war industries.

http://web.mac.com/len15/MUSICAL_CUL..._Horowitz.html

Sounds like a natural fit if you ever wanted to play a "the PCs are a travelling band of adventurers/rock stars" game. The rebellious rockers in the 50s are rebelling against The Establishment, freeing young people from the insidious 440 Hz A. Or perhaps you take it back to WWII, in which case you've probably got a swing band -- in which case Glenn Miller's mysterious disappearance takes on more sinister overtones.
I'm not sure how seriously, I'd take this. It looks like good game fodder, but real life? Judging by some of the other stuff on that page, the author is a crank.
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #253
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

A real-life crank, certainly; he probably didn't think he was creating fiction. Too off topic for the thread, do you think?

Good game fodder, as you say. The alternate 50s history has a puckish appeal for me. Fighting alongside NPC heroes like Elvis and Buddy Holly, your mission is to wield the power of rock to free the (real) people in this audience from the mind-controlling forces of conformity. Say, there's even a ready-made super-villain team to use as an Enemy right there in the video.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 06-22-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #254
ak_aramis
 
ak_aramis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alsea, OR
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Raven View Post
I'm not sure how seriously, I'd take this. It looks like good game fodder, but real life? Judging by some of the other stuff on that page, the author is a crank.
A=440Hz has been standard since the mid 1800's... as many fixed pitch instruments can attest. And the older tunings are usually A<440, not A=444.

So, yes, a crank. DMD is a dental surgeon. MPH is a masters of public health. He's WAY outside his field.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #255
Inquisitive Raven
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
So, yes, a crank. DMD is a dental surgeon. MPH is a masters of public health. He's WAY outside his field.
Well, he's claiming it's a public health issue, so I suppose that means he thinks he's qualified to talk about it. OTOH, anyone who calls vaccines poisons and part of a conspiracy to kill off most of the human population should have his public health credentials taken away.

Nitpick: DDS is a dental surgeon. DMD is a dentist without the surgical credentials.

Last edited by Inquisitive Raven; 06-22-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Posted too soon
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #256
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

I'm not certain about its gaming potential...but this definitely qualifies as real-life weirdness (IMHO), assuming it's not a hoax (I would not be shocked.)

I suppose it might be used as an instance of mind control, or some kind of side-effect of something...

Women Flock To Drink Horse Semen Shots
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #257
D10
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

I cant find a news source but like a decade ago or something there was a town here in Brazil where all man started going blind! The small folk thought themselves cursed until they discoverd that there was high levels of methane (or something that started with M) in their system, and that the town had only only supplier of booze.

When they went to see this supplier, they discovered he was adding methane to the booze (it was not beer, it was cachaça), when asked towards his motives the old man said.

"I just wanted it to be a hell of a drink"

true story.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #258
Lord Carnifex
 
Lord Carnifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

If I'm remembering the Len Horowitz interviews correctly, it's not just about social control... his re-tuned scale is supposed to reinforce the resonant frequencies within living cells. His music makes you healthier!
__________________
An ongoing narrative of philosophy, psychology, and semiotics: Et in Arcadia Ego

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #259
Stripe
 
Stripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

The giant, underground 10,000 year clock currently under construction:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...ar-clock/all/1
__________________
.
"How the heck am I supposed to justify that whatever I
feel like doing at any particular moment is 'in character'
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #260
William
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
I cant find a news source but like a decade ago or something there was a town here in Brazil where all man started going blind! The small folk thought themselves cursed until they discoverd that there was high levels of methane (or something that started with M) in their system, and that the town had only only supplier of booze.
Methanol. Also known as wood alcohol. You'll sometimes get it in bad moonshine, and it will indeed make you go blind. (It has one carbon, CH3OH, as opposed to regular drinking alcohol, ethanol, which has two, C2H5OH.)

Also has a cameo in a line uttered by a bum in the beloved Star Trek episode, "The City on the Edge of Forever"!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.