Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #21
werecelt

Default Re: Warp, preparing and body sense?

so your saying if i pass my body sense roll i can act normally in that turn?

im sure this is not what it says in the book?
werecelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecelt

I think it really depends on what manuever it takes to Warp, if you can count the Warp as a step then you should be able to Warp make your Body Sense roll and attack.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #23
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
I think it really depends on what manuever it takes to Warp, if you can count the Warp as a step then you should be able to Warp make your Body Sense roll and attack.
A very good point. I don't think that the "preparation time" is clearly enough defined in the write-up. I'm guessing, as a mental ability, that you're meant to spend this time Concentrating. But does this time include the time needed to actually activate Warp, or is that an extra second of Concetrate?
Personally, I'd rule that it's included, so you can in fact Warp as a free action, by taking a -10 to your roll.
The extra -5 from it being one Concentrate maneuver makes a big difference and I think that's what it's here for.
Consequently, I think you should be able to do Nightcrawler's stunt by making your -10 roll as a free action, then Attacking (or All-Out Attacking) while the guys are totally confused.

Quote:

I'll have to check Basic, but I think that's the idea.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
I'll have to check Basic, but I think that's the idea.
The problem is that Body Sense says that you can act next turn normally if you succeed. I think you could only Warp and Attack if the Warp counts as part of that attack manuever. If it doesn't then you'll have to wait until next turn to act (as per Body Sense). However I don't see why the Warp (whether prepped last turn or instantaneous this turn) couldn't count as the movement part of an Attack or AoA.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #25
werecelt

so your telling me as long as i pass my body sense roll i can act normally? im pretty sure this is not what it says in body sense skill.

and your also telling me that if i prepare for 1 second i appear at the end on that round i prepared?

sorry for this clarification i just really need to get this straight in my head
Old 03-08-2007, 01:12 AM   #26
The Benj

Quote:
so your telling me as long as i pass my body sense roll i can act normally? im pretty sure this is not what it says in body sense skill.
I'm saying that Body Sense is kind of poorly worded. Frankly I think it should be explained in Warp, but whatever.
I think Body Sense assumes you've spent your Maneuver on Concentrating. You then warp to wherever you're going. Then you make your Body Sense roll.
If you succeed, you can take your next turn normally.
If you fail, you must Do Nothing.

If, however, you were Warping instantaneously (with no preparation, at -10), then the Warp doesn't take a Concentrate Maneuver and you warp straight away, but you still must then make your Body Sense roll.
If you succeed, you take the rest of your Maneuver (whatever it is) as normal.
If you fail, you may not do anything for the rest of your turn, except defend. It's as if you chose Do Nothing as your Maneuver, with instant warping as a free action.

Quote:
and your also telling me that if i prepare for 1 second i appear at the end on that round i prepared?
Yes.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
I'm saying that Body Sense is kind of poorly worded. Frankly I think it should be explained in Warp, but whatever.
I think Body Sense assumes you've spent your Maneuver on Concentrating. You then warp to wherever you're going. Then you make your Body Sense roll.
If you succeed, you can take your next turn normally.
If you fail, you must Do Nothing.
[I really wish that they had deleted this thread instead of moving it, as my comments in the other one seem to have been ignored.]

It really depends on what manuever it takes to Warp (which isn't clear from the warp description at all) is it a movement, free action, Concentrate, Ready? Can you Warp as the Step part of an Attack?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #28
werecelt

can a mod please delete this thread as the other one of the same title has all the replies in it

Thanks

Last edited by werecelt; 03-08-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #29
werecelt

very confused now

is there anywhere i can get this clarified once and for all - ie contacting the makers etc?

its just that both sir_pudding i had pretty much sorted it out how you explained it worked and now Benj is pretty much telling me its different!

i have no idea how this is going to work now unless i get clarification i know is right

(sorry if this sounds ungrateful to those of you who have tried to help an idiot like me! I really do appreciate your help in this)

(oh and sorry this is now going over two threads is there any chance someone could delete the other one as this thread seems to have all the replies thus far?)
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
is there anywhere i can get this clarified once and for all - ie contacting the makers etc?
You could email or PM Kromm.

Tags
kromm answer, warp