Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
Antiquation!

Default Re: Warp, preparing and body sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecelt
he cant take the rest of his turn as he is recovering from warp (if he succeeeds his body sense roll - if he fails it its several rounds he has to spend orientating himself).

so for a whopping extra -5 IQ roll (ontop of the already -5 for 1 second preparation) he avoids damage but then cant do anything, -10 instantaneous warp to avoid damage but not be able to then react in that round seems very very unfair for such a high costed power?

Then again im probably missing something and have it all **** up!

as for maneuver i have no idea, sorry
I remember reading the Warp rules and thinking "wow... this REALLY wasn't build up as a combat-focused ability". If you have the money, I'd get GURPS Powers... it has lots of enhancements/limitations that could be used in conjunction with Warp to make an ability that would be great for short, instant boosts... followed by one or more attacks in the same round (or the next round, or whatever). If you aren't keen on getting Powers, I'd work on tweaking the Warp ability itself with the Basic Set, at least for the time being... since it doesn't seem to be performing the way you wish it would, on its own.

PS: GURPS Powers is useful for alot more than just building a combat-effective Warp, too... and it's worth every penny. :D

Last edited by Antiquation!; 03-05-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Antiquation! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
so for a whopping extra -5 IQ roll (ontop of the already -5 for 1 second preparation) he avoids damage but then cant do anything, -10 instantaneous warp to avoid damage but not be able to then react in that round seems very very unfair for such a high costed power?
I don't really see the problem, he isn't able to anything anyway since it's not his turn, and a successful Body Sense roll allows you to act normally on your next turn.
Abe's turn: Abe attacks Bob, Bob Warp dodges and succeeds, he makes a Body Sense roll and succeeds.
Bob's turn: Bob acts normally.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
werecelt

ok so this scenario happens
abe speed 4.75
bob speed 4.5 (has warp)

round 1
Abe (higher speed) attacks Bob(with whatever modifier), Bob Warp dodges (-10) and succeeds, he makes a Body Sense roll and succeeds but cannot do anything else this round due to motion sickness (type of thing)

round 2
repeat until the -10 roll or body sense roll fails, which is more than likely due to the massive negatives

am i right with how this works in a round?

Im new to Gurps but this is how i have been told by the dm it would happen (like i said he is new and is unsure on this too)

sir_pudding your talking as though you get a turn each?

confused now!
werecelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
sir_pudding your talking as though you get a turn each?
GURPS doesn't have "rounds" (as distinct from turns).
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.1.3

Your turn ends after you've executed a maneuver. On Abe's turn he takes an attack maneuver it is resolved with Bob dodging (and making his Body Sense roll). That's the end of Abe's turn. On Bob's turn he can act normally since he made his Body Sense roll.

Abe: Attacks Bob, Bob Warp Dodges, and makes his roll.
Bob: Ready Maneuver (preparing to warp)
Abe: Move Maneuver and runs towards Bob.
Bob: Warps farther away and makes his Body Sense Roll.

ect.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
werecelt

ahh right now i get it a lot better and we have been doing this wrong (kind of)

so with an instantaneous warp can i 'interrupt' someone elses turn (lets say in this case not via a defensive maneuver). Warp 10 yards away (lets say behind them) and in this case, pass my body sense roll, when it becomes my 'go' i can react like normal?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
so with an instantaneous warp can i 'interrupt' someone elses turn (lets say in this case not via a defensive maneuver). Warp 10 yards away (lets say behind them) and in this case, pass my body sense roll, when it becomes my 'go' i can react like normal?
No, you don't get to do anything (other than react to other characters, by defending for instance) when it's not your turn. By definition your turn is when you do stuff.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #17
werecelt

ok got it now and thanks for being so patient!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
so with an instantaneous warp can i 'interrupt' someone elses turn (lets say in this case not via a defensive maneuver)
Although you could if you took the Wait maneuver. That's the point of Wait.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
The Benj

Quote:
If i have warp and im in combat and i prepare for 1 second (-5 IQ test) do i appear at the end of that combat round or the start of the next combat round?
I believe you disappear and appear at the same time: when you succeed the roll. You move instantaneously.

Quote:
Whenever i appear, i make a body sense roll and succeed (in this example). If i appear at the end of the combat round as mentioned above can i then act normally in the next combat round?.
If you succeed on your Body Sense roll, you take your next turn as normal.
If you fail, you're Stunned and must Do Nothing.

Quote:
If I appear in the second combat round do i have to shake off the warp effect for the whole of that round, and cannot take an action except a defensive one?
I don't believe you do appear in the next second. You don't spend the time between your last turn and your next "hanging in limbo"

Quote:
If it as stated as i understand it to be, concerning body sense, you must take the rest of the round orientating yourself. Is there any way i can negate this effect and thus do actions say like nightcrawler in Xmen 2 where he warp attacks, warp attacks (say if i had two attacks) etc?
I think you only lose turns if you fail your Body Sense roll and end up Stunned.
To replicate Nightcrawler's whirlwind of arse-kicking bamfing, you need really good Body Sense skill and huge amounts of Reliable, so you can Warp without preparation. This should let you Warp (instantly) and All-Out attack each round, teleporting beside or behind people to make it EVEN harder to defend (they're clearly under at least Partial Surprise, so they're Stunned anyway).

Quote:
It just seems if this is the case and you are slower than your enemy, and your only defense is warp instantaneous, then you will never be able to attack them as you will always be disorientated from your warp to do anything else in that round and then next round again they go first?
I don't believe so. Only if you fail your Body Sense rolls.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #20
The Benj

I posted this in the other version of this thread too.

Quote:
If i have warp and im in combat and i prepare for 1 second (-5 IQ test) do i appear at the end of that combat round or the start of the next combat round?
I believe you disappear and appear at the same time: when you succeed the roll. You move instantaneously.

Quote:
Whenever i appear, i make a body sense roll and succeed (in this example). If i appear at the end of the combat round as mentioned above can i then act normally in the next combat round?.
If you succeed on your Body Sense roll, you take your next turn as normal.
If you fail, you're Stunned and must Do Nothing.

Quote:
If I appear in the second combat round do i have to shake off the warp effect for the whole of that round, and cannot take an action except a defensive one?
I don't believe you do appear in the next second. You don't spend the time between your last turn and your next "hanging in limbo"

Quote:
If it as stated as i understand it to be, concerning body sense, you must take the rest of the round orientating yourself. Is there any way i can negate this effect and thus do actions say like nightcrawler in Xmen 2 where he warp attacks, warp attacks (say if i had two attacks) etc?
I think you only lose turns if you fail your Body Sense roll and end up Stunned.
To replicate Nightcrawler's whirlwind of arse-kicking bamfing, you need really good Body Sense skill and huge amounts of Reliable, so you can Warp without preparation. This should let you Warp (instantly) and All-Out attack each round, teleporting beside or behind people to make it EVEN harder to defend (they're clearly under at least Partial Surprise, so they're Stunned anyway).

Quote:
It just seems if this is the case and you are slower than your enemy, and your only defense is warp instantaneous, then you will never be able to attack them as you will always be disorientated from your warp to do anything else in that round and then next round again they go first?
I don't believe so. Only if you fail your Body Sense rolls.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm answer, warp