Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
FeiLin

Default Multi-hex figures

I'm looking at image of multi-hex figures on B392. An elephant (SM3) has a central row of 4 with 3 on each side for a total of 10. That's a quite convenient example. A lion has SM1 and occupies 0 hexes - also a fairly convenient example. What if I had a baby/adolescent elephant of SM2 (or, you know, just your average SM2 quadrupedal creature...); what configuration would it have?

Also, at what point does a bipedal occupy more than 1 hex? I find this particularly annoying, because the logical step would be 3 hexes sharing one corner together, but that aligns poorly with GURPS facing. The best shape I've come up with is the lion but with the left and right hexes occupied as well, for a total of 4 hexes, but what SM would that be; SM3, SM4? Also, what about something between that and the single hex of an SM0 (say SM1 or SM2); would they be a single hex or something else?

So, my take on this is "half hexes". A half hex is defined as "part of the creature" for the purpose of being in close combat but may be occupied by another creature as if it were adjacent and doesnt count as a hit for ranged (ie you need to hit the closest full hex). For a slam or similar body attacks, the half hex has +5 to Do (or just to any active defence, perhaps), both as attacker and defender.

With half hexes, my baby elephant would have 3 hexes in a line, and the 2 side hexes och each side (a total of 4) are "half". For the giant I'm considering saying SM1 is a single hex but SM2 also occupies the 3 hexes labeled back, left and right on B388 as half hexes.

I've seen tons of layouts of monsters in various sizes and shapes for square grids (some even detailed to a point where they could turn 45 degrees!). I have yet to find an equivalent for the hex grid.

Last edited by FeiLin; 11-14-2020 at 04:34 AM.
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half hex, multi-hex, size modifier, tactical combat