Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
Michael Thayne

Default Re: GURPS -> Dungeon Fantasy Conversion Thread

Both GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and DFRPG contain a fair amount of tongue-in-cheek commentary on the genre, but you can play it straighter if you want. Gaming Ballistic's Norðlond line uses DFRPG as a base but builds a rich, played-straight world on top of that. I do prefer a straighter style myself, and one reason I started this thread is I thought it might be easier to play richer games with DFRPG if it were a little easier to convert GURPS resources to DFRPG.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #12
Michael Thayne

Note: in the process of writing this post I also found a couple advantages I'd missed the first time around. They've since been added in an edit.

Disadvantages

A decent number of disadvantages in the "suitable disadvantages" list in Dungeon Fantasy 1 got dropped in DFRPG. Gigantism got dropped for being too complicated, though it could be re-added if you don't mind the complexity. A number of disadvantages appear to have been dropped because they don't actually appear on any of the templates in DF1, though they do appear on the templates in later books. These include Bad Sight (with Mitigator) (on the Artificer and Sage), Disturbing Voice (on the Necromancer), Selfish (on the Demonologist and Psi), and Slow Healing (Necromancer again). All of these could be retained, especially if you're converting the templates on which they appear.

Other disadvantages include Increased Consumption, Night Blindness, No Depth Perception, On the Edge, Reputation, Shyness, Squeamish, Susceptible, Unluckiness, and Very Fat. Many of these would be OK to re-add, though some of the more exotic ones aren't a good fit for most PCs. GMs might also want to veto negative Reputations with groups whose opinions of the PCs are unlikely to matter in practice. And personally, I would say "good riddance" Unluckiness, since it has no real mechanics behind it, making it potentially annoying for GMs to adjudicate.

Most of the "ready to go" quirks also got dropped—a defensible enough decision, since making quirks open-ended may encourage players to get more creative with them. Nervous Stomach, oddly, was retained, probably because it appeared on the Wizard template in DF1.

Finally, many other disadvantages got changed in subtle ways, which I won't try to list here. I will note, however, that Stubbornness now has a self-control number—and as far as I can tell it's the only disadvantage that changed in that particular way.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 09-23-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #13
edk926

One thing I'm curious about is spell differences. I know that DFRPG dropped some spells from Magic, made a few spells Cleric only, tinkered with a few prerequisites, and changed energy requirements for a couple of more unbalanced spells. I don't think it has any spells that's not found in Magic or a DF supplement. What I don't know is if there were any more fundamental changes to how a specific spell may work.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #14
edk926

Well aside from what was mentioned in DF1. I forgot it mentioned the changes to Invisibility and the Create spells.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #15
Balor Patch

One difference is that many spells now specify that they do Injury, instead of generic "damage". This is important with respect to Diffuse targets.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
Michael Thayne

Skills

The following skills have been removed: Architecture, Area Knowledge, Body Language, Engineer, Erotic Art, Falconry, Games, Jeweler, Packing, Professional Skill, Smith. In many cases, these skills would primarily serve as "background flavor" anyway, not of much use in the dungeon, though in a few cases it would be easy to invent uses—for example, I'm rather fond of the idea of using Architecture to answer questions about dungeon architecture.

A number of other skills no longer require specialization, often because only one specialty is relevant to Dungeon Fantasy: Boating, Current Affairs, Hazardous Materials, Naturalist, Navigation, Pharmacy, Savoir-Faire. Of these, the only I might revert are Boating and Navigation, and only if the PCs are going to be spending a lot of time on the water.

EDIT: Also, Armory is now spelled the American way, not the British way.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 09-26-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #17
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Skills

The following skills have been removed: Architecture, Area Knowledge, Body Language, Engineer, Erotic Art, Falconry, Games, Jeweler, Packing, Professional Skill, Smith. In many cases, these skills would primarily serve as "background flavor" any way, not of much use in the dungeon, though in a few cases it would be easy to invent uses—for example, I'm rather fond of the idea of using Architecture to answer questions about dungeon architecture.
Some of these being removed is weird especially in the light of D&D 3.x's Hypertext d20 list:

Knowledge for example has Architecture as one of its "fields of study" with Local (ie Area Knowledge) as another. There is even Knowledge (Dungeoneering) as an option.

Craft covers Engineer, Jeweler, and Smith.

Profession is the D&D 3.x equivalent of Professional Skill
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #18
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Some of these being removed is weird especially in the light of D&D 3.x's Hypertext d20 list:

Knowledge for example has Architecture as one of its "fields of study" with Local (ie Area Knowledge) as another. There is even Knowledge (Dungeoneering) as an option.

Craft covers Engineer, Jeweler, and Smith.

Profession is the D&D 3.x equivalent of Professional Skill
I agree about Architecture, though DFRPG isn't trying to replicate any edition of D&D exactly. Regarding Craft and Profession, they're known for being two of the least useful skills in D&D 3.X, and the role of Craft is to a large extent handled by Armory (spelled without the "u", another small change).
Old 09-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #19
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
*Outdoorsman Talent uses the Smooth Talent Cost seen in GURPS Power-Ups 3: Talents rather then that in the Basic Set.
*Resistant to x is both priced and bought differently.
It does? My copy still says 10 points/level.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #20
Michael Thayne

Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages

As far as I can tell, to my surprise, almost everything in here can be used as-is? The only real change I can see is that the Artificer-Bard and Scholar-Bard lenses will need to be modified in the same ways as other lenses for cross-classing into Bard. Engineer (Gadgets) should definitely be kept, as it does have a well-defined use in Sages, although it might be renamed just "Engineer", since as far as I can tell it's the only Engineer specialty with a well-defined use in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. GMs might also want to steer Artificers away from the Architecture, Jeweler, and/or Smith skills, unless the GM plans to give them uses—IMHO most likely in the case of Architecture. Though on reflection I suppose Jeweler could be used for crafting power items for your caster friends?