Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
enelsonmo

Default Other Settings to TfT - Any Interest?

Any interest in porting other settings to the TfT engine? I saw Glorantha is now available for Runequest and 13th Age. Would a Glorantah TfT game be fun? Or an Empire of the Petal Throne TfT game. I would enjoy seeing a game with the base TfT rules and either setting in one self contained game book.
enelsonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Other Settings to TfT - Any Interest?

I've used TFT to good effect in the following non-Cidri settings:

Middle Earth
Hyborian age (i.e., Conan)
Renaissance Europe

I think it would be well suited to other settings that have worked well with BRP (e.g., Glorantha or the Young Kingdoms) simply because the deadliness and mix of character types are pretty similar in the two systems. I also suspect TFT would be well suited for a classical age historical or historical fantasy campaign (Greece, Rome, Egypt, etc.).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Shostak

Over on the G+ TFT group someone posted his TFT Tekumel conversion.

I might like to see something very contemporary like TFT The Witcher
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Todd Roll

I will be starting a TFT campaign set in HPLs Dreamlands. I plan to tweak the setting a bit doing away with sanity blasting monsters and will probably limit the gods to the likes of Nodens, Hastur and Nyaralthotep in the form of the Black Pharaoh. Will include the Men of Leng (spiders too), ghouls, zoogs, and moon beasts. I am not sure about Gugs and other Dreamlands creatures.

My intention is to make it a high fantasy world not a sanity blasting survival slog.
Todd Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roll View Post
I will be starting a TFT campaign set in HPLs Dreamlands. ...
Hi Todd,
That sounds really interesting. Are the players spending all the time in the Dreamlands, or is it a dual campaign where they have real lives and dream lives?

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Jim Kane
Banned

I believe I had answered this before on another thread about using MicroQuests as a product vehicle to specifically introduce new settings for TFT, complete with counters and maps. Here were my suggestions:
  • Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age (Conan series) Low-Fantasy
  • J.R.R.Tolkien's Middle Earth (LoTR trilogy) High-Fantasy
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom (John Carter of Mars series) Science-Fantasy
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Hollow Earth (Pellucidar series) Prehistoric Science-Fantasy
  • Lin Carter's Lemuria (Thongor series) Low-Fantasy/Sci-Fi

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-14-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
Anomylous

I once played through a TFT adaptation of LotR. It worked great, but only because the GM added a "Will" attribute (used to resist the lure of the Ring). I think any Middle-Earth campaign would almost have to adopt that, given Tolkien's constant emphasis on temptation and corruption (and it's not just the Ring...look at the downfall of Númenor, or basically the entire story of the Silmarillion). IQ just can't be used to serve the same purpose, q.v. Saruman.

(If it was just a military campaign centered around some Gondorian scouts in Ithilien or some such, you might not need the Will attribute...but since Tolkien is so much about fighting *evil* as opposed to fighting "those other guys", I think I'd include it anyway, and have the scouts face moral dangers in addition to physical ones.)

To broaden the point, I think that TFT could quite handily be adapted to serve a lot of settings – but might require significant modification to accurately capture the "flavor" of many of them. I'd like to have a campaign set in Earthsea, for example, but the magic system is pretty different from vanilla TFT - and likewise the world of the Kingkiller Chronicles.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
I once played through a TFT adaptation of LotR. It worked great, but only because the GM added a "Will" attribute (used to resist the lure of the Ring). I think any Middle-Earth campaign would almost have to adopt that, given Tolkien's constant emphasis on temptation and corruption (and it's not just the Ring...look at the downfall of Númenor, or basically the entire story of the Silmarillion). IQ just can't be used to serve the same purpose, q.v. Saruman.

(If it was just a military campaign centered around some Gondorian scouts in Ithilien or some such, you might not need the Will attribute...but since Tolkien is so much about fighting *evil* as opposed to fighting "those other guys", I think I'd include it anyway, and have the scouts face moral dangers in addition to physical ones.)
*This* is an amazingly insightful and cogent post - a true pleasure to read.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roll View Post
I will be starting a TFT campaign set in HPLs Dreamlands. I plan to tweak the setting a bit doing away with sanity blasting monsters and will probably limit the gods to the likes of Nodens, Hastur and Nyaralthotep in the form of the Black Pharaoh. Will include the Men of Leng (spiders too), ghouls, zoogs, and moon beasts. I am not sure about Gugs and other Dreamlands creatures.

My intention is to make it a high fantasy world not a sanity blasting survival slog.
That sounds fantastic.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
I believe I had answered this before on another thread about using MicroQuests as a product vehicle to specifically introduce new settings for TFT, complete with counters and maps. Here were my suggestions:
  • Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age (Conan series) Low-Fantasy
  • J.R.R.Tolkien's Middle Earth (LoTR trilogy) High-Fantasy
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom (John Carter of Mars series) Science-Fantasy
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Hollow Earth (Pellucidar series) Prehistoric Science-Fantasy
  • Lin Carter's Lemuria (Thongor series) Low-Fantasy/Sci-Fi

JK
Jim beat me to it. I immediately thought of both John Carter of Mars and Conan when I read the original post.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote