Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
Ndreare

Default Mixing Dungeon Fantasy and GURPS

Is there any reason a user should not mix Dungeon Fantasy RPG powered by GURPS, with GURPS?

As someone who recently is returning I have found some Dungeon Fantasy resources that seem to capture elements I like. Can these be used like comparable products or are their major changes I should be aware of and avoid?

Last edited by Ndreare; 05-16-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #2
bocephus

Default Re: Mixing Dungeon Fantasy and GURPS

Do you mean DF (GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy) or DFRPG (Dungeon Fantasy Powered by GURPS)?

DFRPG is intended to be a stand alone product.

DF is a series of supplements for the Base GURPS system.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

DFRPG is in some ways a simplification of the standard GURPS rules, but it is 98% identical in the rules it has. DFRPG doesn't deal with Status and simplifies social interaction, but in general if DFRPG has a rule, GURPS has the same rule.

Most groups I've been in use the simpler DFRPG slam rules, and DFRPG Spells is generally preferred over GURPS Magic. We like attention to detail in combat so we use the advanced options from Martial Arts. As long as you're clear which rules you're using, mixing and matching isn't a problem.

I've ran a multi-year campaign of delving, politics, and mass battles using DFRPG as a base but obviously with more attention to stuff outside the dungeon and it worked amazingly well. I can't think of any major changes that I would really call out, aside from how DFRPG handles Status and Wealth, and the difference in Slam rules. Any other changes are almost always clarifications of how rules were arguably meant to work in GURPS 4e Basic Set.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
Ndreare

I did intend to say Dungeon fantasy RPG.

Awesome, thank you. Looks like more resources for me to skim through.
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

I once did a thread on converting GURPS DF to DFRPG. Mostly it's really easy to translate from one to the other in either direction. However, as I discovered when trying to do a sequel thread, the differences in spell prerequisites don't seem easily summarizable. There are reasons you might want to use the DF Spells book over GURPS Magic, but if you do I would totally forbid all spells outside DF Spells. Conversely if you want to allow any spells found outside DF Spells, I'd be inclined to ignore the book entirely (but check out the article "Wizardry Refined" from Pyramid #3/60, which fixes some serious issues from GURPS DF 1).
Old 05-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #6
SilvercatMoonpaw

Whats the difference between GURPS' magic and Dungeon Fantasy RPG's magic?
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #7
Rupert

Falling is also simplified (and in the process improved a bit, IMO).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:39 PM   #8
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
DFRPG has fewer spells and a couple of spells are reorganized for clarity or to prevent rampant abuse.

Of the top of my head:
* Bless now counts as a "spell on" so going around and Blessing all your comrades is not a free power-up. Town wizards who cast Bless are crippling their income for a while, and are going to charge for that.
* Essential Food only lasts 1 day, making it less of an easy work-around for food issues. Monk's Banquet becomes more useful.
* See Secrets' effects are much clearer in DFRPG - it removes Vision penalties for deliberate hiding and turns Contests of Vision vs Camouflage into straight Vision rolls.
* Grease effects are a little clearer.

You'd need to through both Magic and Spells carefully to find all the differences, but my general experience is a spell is listed in both books, I prefer the Spells version.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #9
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndreare View Post
I did intend to say Dungeon fantasy RPG.

Awesome, thank you. Looks like more resources for me to skim through.
Many players that dont play Gurps find it "too compicated". They dont understand that Gurps is a sandbox RPG upon which ALL rules are "optional", which means that you pick and choose what to use for what.

So, DFRPG is a Gurps upon which the work o choosing the rules for the setting are already done, so there are no rules for skills with laser pistols or bioengeneering for example. Also, the "powers" are all already made, no need for looking advantages, disadvantages and enhancements and limitations in order to craft your very own unique power. It is already "pick and play".

But it is just as if your GM had selected himself which rules to use, or if you had created your own exclusively abilities and powers for your barbarian or cleric.

DFRPG is simply Gurps already digested to be ready to play for Dungeon Fantasy setting. Mostly for newplayers, but also veterans that can enjoy some simplicity.

That being said, if you're a Gurps veteran, feel free to tailor your DFRPG using your knowledges from the Gurps Basic and Supers and Powers and Magic and Thaumatology and Martial Arts and any other supplement as you see fit
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:47 PM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Aside from some changes to some spells, the biggest is probably that certain types of spell are no longer available to your standard Mage, but are instead limited to Druids and Clerics (who are in turn limited in their range of spells), carving out magical niches for each similar to those in D&D, etc.

In particular, Wizards don't heal (and Druids only do minor healing) and only Druids can do animal and plant magic.

DFRPG (and DF) also change how spell prerequisites work for Clerics and Druids - they don't have to learn spells in chains, but merely need sufficient levels of the right Power Investiture.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote