Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-15-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
pzmcgwire

Default One-offs vs Campaigns

What do people prefer to play, on-going campaigns with the same characters or creating a one-off party to play through an adventure.

It seems that the TFT combat system is just so unforgiving that experienced characters are so vulnerable to the capriciousness of dice rolls.

A critical hit by that low DX Prootwaddle can end an experienced character quicker than for a Prootwaddle to realize it.
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: One-offs vs Campaigns

Note that Legacy has Immediate Action (ITL 10) so bring along a Physicker and some healing potions to recover your fallen. It adds to the tactical flavor of the game when you need to win a fight with one or more of the PCs down.
Recently my ST 1 wizard withdrew from the battle for a few turns to chug some healing potions then returned to recover all three of his fallen teammates.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
What do people prefer to play, on-going campaigns with the same characters or creating a one-off party to play through an adventure.
I run, and prefer to play in, ongoing campaigns, with the sets of characters evolving in response to death or a player's wish to change characters.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
I am new to the new TFT so, what I'm about to say applies mostly to my experience with the original TFT. However, I haven't seen where the differences between these versions is changing my attitude. Mostly, these changes do affect my approach to character development.

As I'm learning the new TFT system, I have learned to re-appreciate the idea of having different characters involved in separate scenarios going on within a larger area where these scenarios may or may not intertwine with the others.

Have been a GM in the Original TFT for several years, the playing character set grew to fairly large numbers due to new players coming and developing their own group of characters. This gave much room for setting up small, one-off scenarios/adventures to large scale military battles. They all have their place.

Toward the end of our playing in the mid/late 90's, Most of the scenarios were a build up to a castle siege. This build up was centered around sending out recon groups collecting info where attacks/raids were coming from, who was involved, and who was behind it. These recon missions could be scaled to fit 5 characters to 15 or 20. The castle siege involved well over 100 characters including NPCs.

So, in conclusion, TFT can accommodate just about any playing preference for both PCs and GMs. Many TFT playing groups are no where near as mature as our original TFT groups became. If they keep playing, attracting new players that generate their own array of characters, their corners of Cidri can grow in many interesting ways. We had no idea that our corner of Cidri would become what it did. Reflecting on that gives me a decent sense of how I want my new corner of Cidri to start with a nudge in a certain direction, who knows where it goes from there.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 03-15-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
timm meyers

Regardless of how you view the mortality rate of TFT to other RPGs I believe the question is more directed to how we manage our play "time".

I feel the length of time spent in any GM's world will ultimately increase the reward factor of any play.
PC's that start to build their own unique histories, stories, and memories from one or more adventures will begin to bring more immersion and enjoyment to most games. Obviously, they also bring bigger and Badder stats/items as well further increasing the potential for more heroic deeds etc.

I believe one-off adventures are great but try to incorporate them into the players world so they become chapters in their life book, or less epic adventures during/between larger story arcs. These can in turn be linked into a broader feeling of a "Campaign", but continuity is key.

Campaigns are the best format in my opinion. Growing a PC is the biggest reward and retiring or laying one to rest in a familiar world that has shared many adventures lessens the pain as they become historical and often still pertinent to the shared world.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:35 PM   #6
phiwum

I like a campaign for all of the reasons others have said. The way I run things, the campaign is fairly episodic, with a number of different stories going on at the same time and each adventure may (or may not!) develop one of the main stories a bit further.

I don't usually figure on a long story arc where the party saves the nation from horrible evils, though it may come to that at some point. Or maybe not. Maybe their stories will be around the edges of the main goings-on and whether the nation lives or dies will be decided by armies or something. I honestly don't plan too far in advance, but just leave enough open plot lines that I can develop new adventures as needed.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:28 PM   #7
agentJ

I prefer a campaign. However, I like the idea of having a stable of characters. That way while one is recovering, working, or researching I can play a different one, with a different style. Sadly, I have yet to play the game. I have been running it for my family and friends.
agentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:39 PM   #8
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentJ View Post
I prefer a campaign. However, I like the idea of having a stable of characters. That way while one is recovering, working, or researching I can play a different one, with a different style. Sadly, I have yet to play the game. I have been running it for my family and friends.
That's the part about being GM that sucks. Get someone else to try GMing. They may need some training by starting with existing modules an tweaking them a bit.

Since I got back into the TFT after a 25 year hiatus, I have only ran self ran arena battles and game modules like Death Test 1 and 2. Trying to get my juices flowing again and build up a stable of NPCs. My son has played a few times but has been too busy working on his degree to do much more. I've got a small list of guys interested that I'm about to start on the game.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:07 AM   #9
Skarg

I generally prefer campaigns, because I'm more interested in full worlds with developing game history.

Also, the part the OP mentioned about worrying about the danger level of TFT combat, is one of my favorite things about the game, and about campaign games. It means that there are actual risks involved, and people may die, so dangerous situations are more serious, tense, and rewarding to survive.

Once players learn strong tactics and to pick their battles and be smart in the situations leading up to combat (especially if they bring along at least a few extra NPC fighters) then in my games, the actual PC death rate has been pretty low
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I generally prefer campaigns, because I'm more interested in full worlds with developing game history.

Also, the part the OP mentioned about worrying about the danger level of TFT combat, is one of my favorite things about the game, and about campaign games. It means that there are actual risks involved, and people may die, so dangerous situations are more serious, tense, and rewarding to survive.

Once players learn strong tactics and to pick their battles and be smart in the situations leading up to combat (especially if they bring along at least a few extra NPC fighters) then in my games, the actual PC death rate has been pretty low
Every PC created has the knowledge base of its creator behind it even if that character doesn't have specific knowledge. That's where they learn how to pick their fights.

I still prefer to introduce new players via arena combat so that they can learn the flow of combat in TFT. It is the strong selling point of TFT and will help them to learn it well before they start adventuring. They may want to do arena battles with various character types so that they can learn the nuances of combat with those characters.

After a new player has become familiar with combat resolution, they can feel more confident about sending a starting character into an adventure with other characters.