Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #11
phiwum

Default Re: Dragon tactics

Yes, staying in the air seems like a good idea.

I don't get Henry's "preferred" tactic. The dragon backing up would get two tries to knock each figure down (at best): one with the pushback and the other with the tail attack. Each of those attacks allows a 3/DX save throw, which is better than 50/50 if your adjDX is 12 or better.

Anyone standing gets a +4 to hit the dragon now (well, everyone who was attacked by the tail does, anyway).

Those who were knocked down are either under the dragon or behind him. The ones under will be in hexes at the rear end of the dragon. They can be trampled, but I wouldn't allow a claw attack back there. Maybe in the side hexes of the four hex dragon, I'd allow it. Of course, a trample is a lot lighter damage than a claw hit.

Those who were knocked down by the tail just can't be attacked by the dragon at all this turn, but he might can back over them next turn, with the same results as above.

It's beginning to appear to me that backing into combat isn't really a winning strategy, not even for a dragon.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #12
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Light crossbow sniper is adjDX 14, -4 for flying and +3 to hit the underside of a flying 4-hex dragon, so adjDX 13 minus range. Assuming the dragon is directly overhead it needs to be 80 feet up to get the final adjDX down to 5.

At that height the dragon is only dropping rocks, and it can only lift a 300 pound rock for 3d6, but it is itself a DX dumper so good luck with that.
Yes, a light crossbow sniper would do well. Does every party have such a sniper?

It's a good point that firing up gives a +3 to hit. I don't know why I'd worry about getting the adjDX down to 5. The 4-hex dragon has a DX of 13, subtracting for the range would put him at the same adjDX to hit the sniper as the sniper has to hit him. They both do 2d damage. The dragon is not at a disadvantage against the sniper as far as I can tell -- except for the fact that it costs 3 ST to use his breath, but he has 30 ST to begin with, while the sniper has 12 ST or so. The dragon also has 3 hits of armor. I'm guessing that the sniper does not. (If he's a 32pt character, then he's definitely unarmored.)

Now, of course, if there are several such snipers, the dragon is in more dire straits. But, of course, we're not asking whether a dragon on the wing is in poor shape against this particular party or that, but something more general.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #13
Rolando

I rarely use dragons in actual combat because they should be intelligent and dangerous, they kill player characters.

If a dragon see dangerous foes with good ranged weapons (crossbows) it will fly away and wait for those foes to get distracted or asleep. If no ranged weapon then attacking from above with fire a few times before tiring and then returning when rested for more fire.

To kill a dragon you have to outsmart it. Not an easy task, a task for heroes, but not necessarily powerful heroes, sometimes a young farm boy can do it, if lucky enough.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote