Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2021, 02:39 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Innate Attack/Natural Weapon that triggers Vulnerability/Weakness/Bane?

What would be a reasonable pricing scheme for an enhancement on Innate Attack and Natural Weapon that would let it count as being made of a certain material? Silver, for example.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:31 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Innate Attack/Natural Weapon that triggers Vulnerability/Weakness/Bane?

+50%, by analogy with what Cosmic can do at +50%.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:50 AM   #3
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Innate Attack/Natural Weapon that triggers Vulnerability/Weakness/Bane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
What would be a reasonable pricing scheme for an enhancement on Innate Attack and Natural Weapon that would let it count as being made of a certain material? Silver, for example.
Do you mean "in addition to what it normally counts as"?

I was under the impression those advantages got one free "counts as", such that you could define your Innate Attack/Natural Weapon as "silver" provided that's all it counted as.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:27 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Inner alchemy perk from pyramid 3/61 should cover this. I'm currently gming a character with it.

You should be able to reskin it to get the effect you need with the fluff you need

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Do you mean "in addition to what it normally counts as"?

I was under the impression those advantages got one free "counts as", such that you could define your Innate Attack/Natural Weapon as "silver" provided that's all it counted as.
The usual assumption is that such descriptions will face "vulnerable to" and "resistant to" and cancel out to a zero point modifier.

If they do not roughly balance out, a GM could give some levels of Innate Attack "only versus creatures vulnerable to.../not against creatures resistant to..."
Old 10-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
The usual assumption is that such descriptions will face "vulnerable to" and "resistant to" and cancel out to a zero point modifier.

If they do not roughly balance out, a GM could give some levels of Innate Attack "only versus creatures vulnerable to.../not against creatures resistant to..."
That is a thought that popped into my head, but the issue is a) IMO, really doesn't seem like fair pricing, and b) doesn't help at all for Natural Weapon, which isn't based on dice.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
SilvercatMoonpaw

For Natural Weapon, I might price it like Extra Damage Type.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
Varyon

For my Different Take on Imbuements, I priced the ability to change between a default attack type and functioning as though it came from a specific source (sunlight, gold, etc) at +20% for Very Common, +40% for Common, +60% for Occasional, and +80% for Rare. Always counting as a given source is arguably worth +0%, but I could see cause to halve the above prices instead.

And, yes, I largely used Extra Damage Type as something of a base. Indeed, I believe the GURPS damage categories (imp, cut, pi, etc) all rate as Common, so you could use that as justification to reduce the above to +10%, +20%, +30%, and +40% (for switchable), or halve those (for static).

Tags
enhancement, vulnerability