Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #81
larsdangly

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

If you send me your email in a PM I can forward you some materials I prepared for my house rules; I have a couple dozen symbols drawn up for maps made at small scales. If you like them you could just drop them in on a new panel.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #82
RobW

Really great -- Two questions, and one feature request! I did have a look in the help, so apologies in advance if I missed the answers.

1. In your Duchy map, the river bands are thicker than the roads (at least I assume they're bands). How do you adjust band size?
2. What determines whether the terrain appears on top of the band or under it? I guess the more general question is about the order in which all the different layers render.

And a feature request: Is it easy to add horizontal scroll bars to the map view?
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #83
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
If you send me your email in a PM I can forward you some materials I prepared for my house rules; I have a couple dozen symbols drawn up for maps made at small scales. If you like them you could just drop them in on a new panel.
Is it standard TFT mapping iconography? Does such a thing even exist, outside of the samples in ITL? I'm currently reading Semiology of Graphics and will probably base any new symbology on that where "official" symbology is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
1. In your Duchy map, the river bands are thicker than the roads (at least I assume they're bands). How do you adjust band size?
Heh, that's a bit of cheat on my part. I am using the Channel tool on the Overlay layer for rivers, and the Bands tool on the Feature layer for roads. They are different thicknesses, and their individual thickness amount is a fixed value.

Quote:
2. What determines whether the terrain appears on top of the band or under it? I guess the more general question is about the order in which all the different layers render.
The draw order rules are:

Base <- Overlay <- Feature & Terrain <- Megahexes

Within each layer the pieces render in the order they were drawn, with the most recent addition being on top. So if you draw a Band and then Forest in the same hex, the Forest will appear above the Band. If you draw them in the reverse order, then they will render that way. Unfortunately this means if you want change the order you sometimes have to erase and redraw the hex the way you want it. Features and Terrains live in the same layer, so they will stack with each other in the combined draw order. This is also why the Eraser on those layers erases both types of symbols.

Quote:
And a feature request: Is it easy to add horizontal scroll bars to the map view?
One should appear once you zoom in the map to the point where it goes off the side. If you aren't getting one, let me know what browser and OS you are using. I may need to update the code for specific platforms.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #84
larsdangly

[QUOTE=Shadekeep;2212991]Is it standard TFT mapping iconography? Does such a thing even exist, outside of the samples in ITL? I'm currently reading Semiology of Graphics and will probably base any new symbology on that where "official" symbology is lacking.

Hard to describe! They are basically all designed around hex mapping conventions and are relatively simple line drawings. But you'd have to see them to know if you'd find them useful. I just looked them over again and I probably have 50-100 unique icons for mapping at moderate scales (10's to 100's of meters per hex)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #85
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Hard to describe! They are basically all designed around hex mapping conventions and are relatively simple line drawings. But you'd have to see them to know if you'd find them useful. I just looked them over again and I probably have 50-100 unique icons for mapping at moderate scales (10's to 100's of meters per hex)
Hmm, let me see how far I get with what's already in place, and then I'll have a better idea where the shortfall lies. Since I have to "program" each graphical element as a series of draw operations, the fewer I have to add, the better. ^_^
Old 10-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #86
Erik Wingren

Really appreciate the work you are putting into this! Nice tool I look forward to using more. Version 1.0 will give me the confidence to do more than play around, once I'm sure I won't lose access to save files due to increments in the tool. Thanks!
Erik Wingren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #87
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Wingren View Post
Really appreciate the work you are putting into this! Nice tool I look forward to using more. Version 1.0 will give me the confidence to do more than play around, once I'm sure I won't lose access to save files due to increments in the tool. Thanks!
Thanks! I believe the save format should be fairly stable going forward now (knock wood), barring any drastic changes in architecture. Definitely after 1.0 it will either be locked down, or if any changes prove necessary there will be the ability to import older maps and update them to the new format. I don't want folks losing work!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #88
JLV

I want to second Erik's praise -- this is far and away the most useful thing I've seen on these threads! Keep up the great work!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #89
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I want to second Erik's praise -- this is far and away the most useful thing I've seen on these threads! Keep up the great work!
Thanks kindly! I'm glad folks are finding it useful. It's been fun for me to develop, too.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:41 AM   #90
RobW

Re: horizontal scroll bars in the map window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
One should appear once you zoom in the map to the point where it goes off the side. If you aren't getting one, let me know what browser and OS you are using. I may need to update the code for specific platforms.
This isn't the case for me on Chrome or Safari, Mac OS 10.12 (I tried on two machines and I'm not positive if second one is 10.12 or 10.11)
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote