Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #31
mark hill

Default Re: What is Cidri's average tech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
But in my campaign you can usually spot the rare gunpowder user by the eyepatch and missing fingers. ^_^
you know thats a traditional way to spot insurgents today who mix up tetra triglyceride type stuff to blow up UN troops in afghanistan and iraq? lol
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #32
mark hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I rather doubt that. 1 in 6 shots misfiring is really high, even for that period — and all things considered, so is the 1 in 216 chance of the gun blowing up in your face. (A probability that would earn such a gun a solid "No, thank you" from me.)
well I dunno how Id go touching off (not to mention reloading) a fuse type arquebus on a panicky horse with 1000 screaming aztecs firing glass tipped arrows at my head :) maybe youre right, it would totally work all the time, and never blow up :)

Last edited by mark hill; 04-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #33
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
maybe so .. but how much cheaper are your wizards in mass production? Gunpowder is 17 units of charcoal/5 units of sulphur/1 unit of nitrates (produced from human urine or cow poo usually)
Except that the only implied source of sulfur on Cidri is dragon dung, making procurement not only an expensive proposition but also deadly.

I really enjoy these worldbuilding thought exercises, but the truth is that Cidri is pretty much a blank slate and we can each customize it to fit the needs of our own campaigns. My version is likely very different from yours. Mine is an artificial construct that lacks many of the resources found on a naturally occurring planetary body. This lack of raw materials, like many other factors, will be a key component in the technology achievable by Cidri's denizens. That said, however, who is to say what the Mnoren may have left lying around that has been re-purposed into more mundane forms (like 'steel' perhaps).

And as Skarg as others have pointed out, the reality of magic will certainly go a long way towards stunting (whether thru passive or more intentional influences) the natural evolution of certain technological advancements.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 04-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #34
mark hill

well you COULD hunt dragons for sulphur .. or just mine near one of the several volcanoes marked in the Duchy of Dran .. whatever you reckon less risky I guess
Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #35
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
I always thought it was contemporary to our earth .. WE have space travel (ok its not Star Trek but .. thats the tech level I thought they meant, actually, around 1977-8 to be precise, when TFT came out)
Yes, it does seem like 1977-8 in time relative to Earth, but if there were multiple different worlds with space travel, it seems unlikely/unintended they would all by chance have also only have just made it to their own moons ~10 years earlier, so by far future I mean the potential maximum tech level/history for artifacts, leftover ideas, culture and clothing styles, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #36
mark hill

fellas .. this whole conversation has been awesome :) thank you a lot I needed this :)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #37
mark hill

Well Skarg .. I really do rekon the Mnoren are based on the World of Tiers Lords .. and I reckon thats the sorta 'space travel' they would be likely to find on their alternate earths. Anything like their own tech level, if discovered, would encourage them to use a Ravager (a planet busting raygun) to eliminate the competition
Old 04-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #38
JLV

Going back to the original question, I always envisioned it at about the 1200s to 1400s period -- Late Middle Ages to Early Renaissance. That covers both the more prevalent medieval weaponry and armor as well as the very early gunpowder weapons and devices that occasionally crop up...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #39
mark hill

the presence of Half-Plate in the armour tables suggests there is also room for 'Three-Quarter' plate as well .. many of you other GMs do significant adjustments to the armour tables?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #40
larsdangly

My Cidri has a core technology level like the mid Renaissance (ca. 1500), but I have lots of 'pockets' that resemble earlier (sometimes much earlier) human history, from neolithic through biblical era, through classical mediteranian, through dark ages and early middle ages. And I have pockets that are effectively late renaissance, with matchlock guns. Incidentally, the blunderbuss is a standard weapon, and real blunderbusses were generally matchlock or wheel lock guns. These pockets are usually reachable with some difficulty, but if it seems like they would naturally consume or be consumed by the core culture I'll stick them in an impenetrable jungle or across some difficult mountain range, or on a distant island.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote