Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2022, 05:34 AM   #1
Randover

Default big brawler backup weapon

For upcomming game I have this NPC "Big Mama" in mind.

"Big Mama" runs dwarven restaurant in wizard city. Her shop is fitted with no mana zone. "For those lausy, good for nothings"

"Big Mama" is human not dwarf, thats how she got her nickname.

She is almost legendary brawler. Think around ST 20, and DEX 16 ish. So most time she is fine, whit whatever or whomever she can grab to defend herself and her living from roudy adventures.

But "Big Mama" is also wise. I want her to carry something she can parry or block when some costumer pulls a sword on her. "You ain't ruining my pretty dress, darling."
Since this is just a back-up option for emergencies she quickly pulls from her belt. I am at a loss, what kind of weapon fits this bill?
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:16 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: big brawler backup weapon

What she needs is a Tonfa, or even a pair of them. This is a sturdy baton with a handle on the side. She can use it with her high Brawling skill to parry without penalties for parrying a weapon, and punch for full thrust/crushing damage plus Brawling bonuses.

It's in Martial Arts and Low-Tech. Learning Tonfa skill gives some extra options but is not actually necessary. Fast-Draw (Tonfa), on the other hand, would be a good idea.

Last edited by johndallman; 12-10-2022 at 06:18 AM. Reason: fast-draw.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

A cast-iron skillet. For those without Dungeon Fantasy 10: Taverns:
Frying Pan: Swing as small mace at -1 damage [Axe/Mace-3] or block as a light shield [Shield-2].
There are many other options on p. 12, all suited to bars and dining establishments. To avoid the skill penalties, take the Improvised Weapons (Kitchenware) perk on p. 8.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:05 AM   #4
thrash

I would go with cooking implements as improvised weapons, instead: meat fork, really big soup ladle, rolling pin, wet dish rag with a knot in the end, roasting spit, cleaver, the ever-popular cast iron skillet, etc. Give her the Improvised Weapons perk, and make part of her schtick that no one ever knows just what she will pull out each time (so it's harder to prepare).

(If one has to be ninja'ed, it's hard to complain when it was Kromm.)
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:00 AM   #5
RGTraynor

Heh, Johndallman beat me to it -- tonfa being my instinctive thought -- but Thrash's notion is cooler. No one knows what Big Mama will pull out from beneath the counter, it's different every time, it's often seriously weird ("Why was she keeping a LIVE CHICKEN under the counter??"), and the regulars get enough of a kick out of the show that they egg strangers on to get into it with her.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
really big soup ladle
There's a hilarious scene in the first Powder Mage book where the Field Marshal's head chef is insulted and attacked by a high-ranking member of the clergy, who also happens to be one of the known world's best duelists. The chef completely trounces the duelist, expertly parrying the man's attack and knocking him out with a single blow to the head... using nothing but the large soup ladle he tended to carry with him everywhere.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #7
Gef

With ST 18 to 20, try to find weapon with Min ST 6, like a Short Staff, which conveniently can be used with Fencing Parries is she expects to be unencumbered. Per the Matter of Inches box in Martial Arts, she can make a second parry at only -1.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:10 AM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
With ST 18 to 20, try to find weapon with Min ST 6, like a Short Staff, which conveniently can be used with Fencing Parries is she expects to be unencumbered. Per the Matter of Inches box in Martial Arts, she can make a second parry at only -1.
If you want to combine this idea with the Improvised Weapons angle, a huge variety of smaller kitchen implements fit into this category.

If you want a handy improvised Blocking weapon, a large & sturdy mug or pitcher can double as a Buckler.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:50 AM   #9
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randover View Post
For upcomming game I have this NPC "Big Mama" in mind.

"Big Mama" runs dwarven restaurant in wizard city. Her shop is fitted with no mana zone. "For those lausy, good for nothings"

"Big Mama" is human not dwarf, thats how she got her nickname.

She is almost legendary brawler. Think around ST 20, and DEX 16 ish. So most time she is fine, whit whatever or whomever she can grab to defend herself and her living from roudy adventures.

But "Big Mama" is also wise. I want her to carry something she can parry or block when some costumer pulls a sword on her. "You ain't ruining my pretty dress, darling."
Since this is just a back-up option for emergencies she quickly pulls from her belt. I am at a loss, what kind of weapon fits this bill?
It depends how actually dangerous is the place where the tavern is located. If sword-wielding uninvited guests are quite uncommon, I would say that a simple Quarterstaff would be sufficient for keeping them at bay. But if armed violence is common, better have at least a polearm or two near the counter as precaution. An elaborate polearm like a Dueling Bill ($100, 6 lbs.) with a round hilt (+1 to Parry, +$25, +0.25lbs) and a pointy butt spike (thr+2, +$20) kept in good sight behind the counter would be a scary "Don't do foolish things" for the average bad tempered swordsman.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
It depends how actually dangerous is the place where the tavern is located. If sword-wielding uninvited guests are quite uncommon, I would say that a simple Quarterstaff would be sufficient for keeping them at bay. But if armed violence is common, better have at least a polearm or two near the counter as precaution. An elaborate polearm like a Dueling Bill ($100, 6 lbs.) with a round hilt (+1 to Parry, +$25, +0.25lbs) and a pointy butt spike (thr+2, +$20) kept in good sight behind the counter would be a scary "Don't do foolish things" for the average bad tempered swordsman.
A polearm isn't going to be a good weapon for the close confines of a restaurant. It's also absolutely not a "backup weapon" that she "quickly pulls from her belt," or similar. I think a tonfa really is the best fit for a dedicated weapon, provided it's appropriate for the setting (otherwise, maybe a light club with a hilt - which gets Parry +1 over a sword with a hilt, Because Reasons, I guess?).

Tags
brawling, low-tech, martial arts, tonfa