Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-31-2023, 11:46 AM   #1
sazzlefrats

Default How many crash results can happen from this sequence?

We just went through a hairpin S turn, so my HC is in the crapper. I have to go straight (HC is -3)

The guy behind me shoots me. I take a control roll, and roll a 1. On the hazard table, I roll an 11. Then I roll on the crash table, and get... severe skid, lose 20mph.

phase 2, prior turn difference of speed and the new speed for me after phase 1 is enough for a ram to occur. I end up on the tables again, and lucky me I get a spin out. We adjust speeds, figure new positions (I'm pushed an inch forward).

Phase 3, I lose 20mph due to spinout again, oops... another crash, more damage., I get pushed forward again.

Phase 4... I lose 20mph due to spinout again, another crash now results.

phase 5 same thing

Did I do this right? Its a lot of crashing, I ended up with like 20pts of damage taken on 4 phases of crash results at 20mph difference of speed, and of course I lost all 4 tires. I would also think that if this guy is ramming me it might stop my car from spinning out and just lock us up? I was also rolling controll checks every time we hit, but I'm thinking once you are spinning out... thats it, no point in trying to see if you are going to roll an even worse result.
sazzlefrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:41 PM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: How many crash results can happen from this sequence?

Yep that much crashing is legit... and Hi-larious :)

I only tend to count the worst result accumulated in any particular phase*, but as this is all in different phases... There are worse results than spinning out, you can roll and burn. Worse results generally replace the earlier ones. Lower results don't.

In motorcycling we referred to this as a "Tank Slapper" as the instability would cause the handle bars to swing from side to side bashing against the tank (or more usually your hand that was trapped between the two).

In CW we refer to these as near death experiences or very actual death experiences and are why control loss rather than weapon damage is usually what killed most road duellists in our games (especially the over confident ones that thought it was ok if your HS was at the control roll point rather than with a nice safe margin).

This is also why a trailer with a half dozen gunners armed with MGs could badly mess up even a metal armoured car. Up to D6 control loss every turn will quickly make even driving in a straight line hard work.

As for a collision stopping a spinout, it would be highly dependent on the contact. If the spinning car were forced to conform in a direction counter to the spin then maybe, otherwise it would be like trying to stop a spinning billiard ball from rotating by hitting it. You just add the collision vector to the existing rotational vector.

*Though we did on occasion combine skids and fishtails as they happened at different times in the phase.

Last edited by swordtart; 01-31-2023 at 01:52 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:00 PM   #3
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzlefrats View Post
Did I do this right?
No, you didn't.

Re-read the Spinout, and Crash Table, rules. The car decelerates 20MPH *per turn*, not *per phase"; and only the worst result rolled is applied.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:10 PM   #4
sazzlefrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
No, you didn't.

Re-read the Spinout, and Crash Table, rules. The car decelerates 20MPH *per turn*, not *per phase"; and only the worst result rolled is applied.
I almost had it then, luckily I didn't roll anything more than a fishtail.

BTW would you believe that the guy doing this got into a position where another car was coming up behind him, so he couldn't finish me off without getting blown up, and was forced to do a 90degree turn to get away from me and not run into the tower that I was sliding into, and then I shot him and penetrated his armor as he was driving away (he had a choice I shoot him again and kill him dead, so he surrendered), then the guy coming around the corner for reasons I'll never know, slowed down to a crawl, did 2 90 degree turns to avoid me and then accelerated by 20mph right after while at HC-2 to 50mph. I shot him, rolled a 10, and then I rolled 10 damage with my HD Ammo RR, and sent him to the crash tables, another spinout but for him into a wall at speed. That ended his game. And then the last guy had no choice but to attempt to cross 5 rows of perfectly laid out junk dropped debris before he could line up his triple incendiary MGs on me... he ended up losing his tires and wheels... immobilized. I was the last surviving car at this point. No one completed a single lap (the track was the size of the Muskogee Racing Track, just offroad)

Last edited by sazzlefrats; 01-31-2023 at 05:16 PM.
sazzlefrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
I almost had it then, luckily I didn't roll anything more than a fishtail.
[nod] Easy way to remember this rule: Never say "Still -- could be worse." .>:)

Quote:
No one completed a single lap (the track was the size of the Muskogee Racing Track, just offroad)
You allowed dropped weapons on a racetrack?

Have you never seen _MegaForce_?

"It's all on the wheel -- it all comes around." .:)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote