Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-24-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
Phil Masters

Default Minor Character Sheet Weirdness

A minor weirdness... I'm printing a character out using the 4e Official Character Sheet, and with the options I've taken and the specifics of the character, Languages, TL, Cultural Familiarities, Defences, and Reaction Mods have ended up on page 3. The character speaks seven different languages. (Sue me, it's that sort of campaign.)

However, what prints on that page is:
  1. A table containing the character's first five languages, with column headings but no table head.
  2. Languages, TL, Cultural Familiarities, Defences, and Reaction Mods, in a neat cluster.
  3. A table headed "LANGUAGES", but with no column heads, containing the character's other two languages.

Doesn't look quite right...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Minor Character Sheet Weirdness

Could you perhaps send me a PDF of the sheet, so I can see exactly how it's turning out?

If you're feeling adventurous, also maybe ZIP up the character in question, and your sheetoptions.prefs file from %AppData%\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 5 ?

I don't know that I'll be able to reproduce the result, since having different printers will result in differing sizes which results in differing outputs, but maybe I can see something like what you're seeing, and figure out what's getting bumped and how, to address this.

Please send whatever you can to gca5@misersoft.com and I'll try to figure it out.

In the meantime, playing around with chosen options, font sizes, margins, etc. may result in better output.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:23 AM   #3
Phil Masters

ZIP file on its way. I included the character portrait to facilitate recreating the problem, which did make for quite a large ZIP file, but hey, you get a bonus picture of Katherine Hepburn.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:30 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Thanks! I'll now look into the issue.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Oh, I think I just realized what the problem is, so I know what I need to look at.

Basically, pushing the blocks off the first page to the overflow pages, so that the portrait can be printed in their space, causes those blocks to be printed exactly the same as they'd be printed in their original space. So the Languages block gets printed with subheads but not a full header, as it would be printed on the first page. But the first page also limits it to about 5 lines, so the rest of the languages get punted to standard Overflow handling, and the printing of the Overflow for languages apparently includes the full header but not the subheads.

So, I now have a clear idea why it's happening, and have a couple things I need to fix as a result.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:56 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

I believe I have fixed this issue, and addressed the issue of overflow languages not printing in the same grid layout as they normally use.

The new version of the Official Sheet is available through Check for Updates.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:32 AM   #7
Phil Masters

Yes, that appears to have fixed it. Many thanks.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

You're welcome!