Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
JamieMcK

Default Upgrading Technomancer Spells

The .gdf files for Third Edition books contain simple Spell listings, lacking in detail.
I successfully created a more detailed version of SP:Mass Shapeshift Others from G3e Arabian Nights by adapting a copy of SP:Shapeshift Others from G4e Magic.
So, I decided to be creative and adapt 5 of my favorite spells from G3e Technomancer.
This is an example of spell code in the Technomancer.gdf:

Static Charge, needs(Purify Air, 1 Air), page(TM17)

These are the spells I adapted. I am uncertain about my decisions regarding the last two:

Ether Static, type(IQ/H), CountAsNeed(Magical), ident(Magical), page(TM17), cat(Air,Technological) , shortcat(Ai, T), mods(Spells), class(Area), time(1 sec.), duration(1 min.), castingcost(1 to 20/H), prereqcount(3), magery(0), needs(Purify Signal, Static Charge), description(Prereq Count 3 Prerequisites: Purify Signal, Static Charge)

Purify Signal, type(IQ/H), CountAsNeed(Magical), ident(Magical), page(TM17), cat(Air), shortcat(Ai), mods(Spells), class(Area), time(1 sec.), duration(1 min.#), castingcost(2/1), prereqcount(1), magery(0), needs(Purify Air), description(Prereq Count: 1 Prerequisites: Purify Air)

Seek Emitter, type(IQ/H), CountAsNeed(Magical), ident(Magical), page(TM17), cat(Air,Technological), shortcat(Ai,T), mods(Spells), class(Information), time(1 sec.), duration(Instant), castingcost(1), prereqcount(0), magery(0), description(Prereq Count: 0)

*lacks details reflecting attack and vulnerability
Static Charge, type(IQ/H), CountAsNeed(Magical), ident(Magical), page(TM17), cat(Air), shortcat(Ai), mods(Spells), class(Area), time(1 sec.), duration(until subject zaps someone), castingcost(1), prereqcount(1), magery(0), needs(Purify Air,1 Air), description(Prereq Count: 2 Prerequisites: Purify Air, 1 other Air)

*casting cost and prerequisites simplified due to Complexity no longer being a factor in GURPS Fourth Edition
Upgrade Computer, type(IQ/H), CountAsNeed(Magical), ident(Magical), page(TM35), cat(Technological), shortcat(T), mods(Spells), class(Regular), time(5 sec.), duration(10 min.), castingcost(10/10), prereqcount(15), magery(0), needs(Inscribe,Repair,Schematic), description(Prereq Count: 15 Prerequisistes: Inscribe, Repair, Schematic)

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how I could improve any of these before installing them into my Campaign Book?
Also, should I add these spells, and any other items I install manually into the [Groups] section of my Campaign Book?

P.S. Are there any plans to add Magic:Plant Spells, Magic:Death Spells, Thaumatology:Urban Magics, or Pyramid 3-48 Secret Magic to GCA5 any time soon? Or should I manually build my preferred spells from there as well?

Last edited by JamieMcK; 12-27-2022 at 10:27 AM.
JamieMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
rkbrown419

Default Re: Upgrading Technomancer Spells

There are a number of unofficial GCA data files available at sites like http://www.motoslave.net/gcarepo/
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcK View Post
Also, should I add these spells, and any other items I install manually into the [Groups] section of my Campaign Book?
I can't answer that because I have no context. If the Groups in question are for needs checking related to these particular things, probably. Beyond that, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcK View Post
P.S. Are there any plans to add Magic:Plant Spells, Magic:Death Spells, Thaumatology:Urban Magics, or Pyramid 3-48 Secret Magic to GCA5 any time soon? Or should I manually build my preferred spells from there as well?
I usually only know when someone is doing a file when they send it to me. Otherwise, they're included with GCA soon after I get them. I generally do not take and include files as part of GCA without permission, but as rkbrown419 said, they may already exist in some form at the GCA Repo.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I can't answer that because I have no context. If the Groups in question are for needs checking related to these particular things, probably. Beyond that, I dunno.
Oh, I should probably add this: You can have a trait add itself to a Group with the group() tag, so that you don't have to edit [Groups] manually. Really handy for needs() checking based on groups and your own custom items.

Group()
The GROUP() tag allows for including an item in a Group without having to adjust the Groups listing in the data file—in fact, a corresponding Groups listing is not required, so completely off the cuff groups could be created and handled strictly through the use of the GROUP() tag. Any NEEDS() or GIVES() that affects a GR:GROUP will affect any item that includes the specified GR:GROUP in the GROUP() tag.
The GROUP() tag works just like a CAT() tag, in that it's a list of group names separated by commas. The GR: prefix should not be used inside the GROUP() tag.
For example, a gives(+2 to GR:Alpha) would affect any trait that had a group(Alpha) tag, as well as any item listed in any existing Alpha group listing in a data file.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
JamieMcK

Armin,

I will play with the GROUP() tag.

I am generating all the spells I like which are not yet officially available, until such time as they are.

Thank you.
JamieMcK is offline   Reply With Quote