Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Firelizards in 4e

[edited to keep pace with the below descution]

Firelizards (Based on Anne McCaffrey's firelizards from her Dragonriders of Pern Series)

Firelizards are Miniature dragons about the size of a human forearm, it is from their genetic stock that the Kitti Ping Yang engineered their Larger Dragons, to combat 'thread'.though unlike the common 'mythical' dragons of earth, firelizards did not have scales, but a leathery hide, it is from the color of this hide that the subspecies are known.

Firelizards have 5 sex based subspecies:

The Gold or Queen Firelizard is A Female, and the dominate on a Firelizard 'Fair' are among the largest of the Firelizards (the others are the Bronze), at about 2 Feet long from sought to tail tip. It is 'unknown' for firelizard to disobey the Senor Queen of the fair. there tends to be about 5 to three golds in a fair. they are extremely protective of the clutches of eggs, often calling on the other firelizards to help in there defense.

The next is the Bronze, a male, the largest and smartest among the males subspecies, though not quite as agile as the smaller males though. and are about the same size as the golds.

the Middle in size is the second of the male subspecies the Brown the don't quite have the size and the stamina of the Bronze, but they are slightly more agile and the hold a larger proportion of fair make up than the larger Bronzes.

The next is the Smallest of the males, the Blue, they are the most numerous of the males, and the most agile, though not quite as smart as the larger subspecies.

the last subspecies is the Green, and are female, The are slightly more numerous than the blues and are about the same size. though they lack the instinct to guard the clutches of eggs. this might be as wheel as the tend to produce large numbers of eggs quite often.

Mating Flights:

when a Female 'Rises' to mate, the interested males will also rise to try and catch her. she will then try to drag out the flight till only the strongest is left to catch her, with a long flight seems to produce a better clutch.

Queen flights it is normal a Bronze that catches her though as the smaller males tend to 'run out of steam' be fore the queen tires. though it is not unknown for a brown to catch the queen, and for a blue to catch junior queen. though the clutches tend to be not as 'strong' in such cases. the Male that catches the Senor Queen is the dominate male, until the next 'flight'

Clutches:
Clutches are laid on tropical Pern Beaches, where the sun and hot sand, incubates the eggs

Gold/Bronze pairings:
there is an occasional Gold egg, 2 or 3 Bronze eggs 5 to 7 browns and 9 to 11 blues and greens.
Gold/Brown pairings
there are never any gold eggs maybe 1 Bronze, the rest and split among Brown, Blue and Greens
Gold/Blue :
never any golds or bronzes, maybe a brown, the rest are either blues or greens
Green/Bronze:
as Gold/Brown
Green/Brown:
as Gold/Blue
Green/Blue:
equal mix between Blue and green.
Natural enemies:

Sandsnakes eat the unguarded eggs.
Wheeres (basically large flying ostriches) eat the young, and others that fail to teleport away to safety.

Hatching.
just prior to a hatching the adults begin to Hum, which gets quicker and louder the closer to the first egg crack (they seem to know instinctively when an egg is about to hatch). the hatchlings have only one thing on their mind, food and will stop at nothing until they are feed, including flying out after 'thread'.

if they are a feed by someone at this point the will 'impress' forming a Mindlink with this person, and will be a consent partner with this person until death. (one of the reasons they are sought as psi familiars).

Food:
they are carnivorous, mainly feeding off of fish and small birds, though the seem to enjoy a dangerous delicacy of 'Thread'

Thread:
Thread, isn't a native to Pern, it is a mindless organism native to the Oort Cloud at the edge of the Rukbat system. it comes to Pern via a captured planet simply known as the 'Red Star'. who's orbit passes though the cloud and passes close enough to Pern every 140 turns (a Turn is just short of an Terran Year) and leaves enough of the organism in Pern's orbit to keep it falling on Pern for 40 turns called a 'pass' (leaving 100 turn interval between passes). when thread enters Pern's atmosphere it transforms into a second stage, which 'devours' all organic substance it comes in contact with in matter of seconds. It is highly susceptible to fire, cold, and drowning.

Fire breath:
Firelizards have a second stomach that after chewing 'Firestone'( a phosphine-bearing rock that _reeks!_) process it to enable a firelizard to produce a flame that they can sustain for 3 to 6 seconds before need more stone. Note this process is believed to cause sterility in females.

Teleportion:
Firelizards Psionicly are able to transport themselves though a alternative dimension called *Between*, at most any where on Pern takes about 3 seconds. *Between* is extremely cold, but apart from that it is total sensory deprivation. any openings in the hide can faster, and be protentionally fatal if exposed the *Between*. and a critical failure can leave you 'lost *Between*'. (Note Dragons in the series can also use this ability when guided by a rider to Time travel, but I have not 'coasted' for this) also you must hold you breath as there is nothing the breath in *between* and This is the real limit to the distance they can travel that way.

Communication:
Firelizards communicate via two methods the first is a song like Chirping. and the second is though telepathic 'images'

Eyes:
firelizards have multi-faceted eyes, that change color, depending on there emotional state. these colors 'whirl' add different speeds reviling the intensity of the state.
  • Red = Hunger
  • White = Danger
  • Yellow = Fear
  • Purple = Devotion/Love
  • Orange w/Red = Anger
  • Blue/Green = Neutral

Attribute Modifiers
Gold/Bronze: ST-4 [-40], DX+1 [20], IQ-3[-60], HT+3 [30]
Brown: ST-5 [-50], DX+2 [40], IQ-4 [-80] HT+2 [20]
Blue/Green: ST-6 [-60], DX+3 [60], IQ-5[-100]. HT+2 [20]
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers:
SM-3, Per+4 [20]
Advantages
Claws (Sharp) [5], Teeth (Sharp) [1] Flight (Wings) [30], Warp (+10 Reliable +50%, Based on Per, +20%, Psi -10%, Uncontrollable -10%, Travel time 1 second in *Between* per 2,000 miles -10%, Keeps orientation and momentum (bases on 3e) -50%, Loose Body parts that intersect with solids (based on 3e) -50%) [40], Telesend (Semi-Vague, pictures and emotions only -25%, Psi -10%) [20], Mind Reading (Semi-Vague -25%, Telecommunication -20%, Psi -10%) [14], Telescan aka Detect (Personally Known Beings (base 20), Long range +100%), Psi -10% ) [38], Nictating Membrane [1], Breathe Fire (Innate Attack (Burn) [2d], Jet +0%, Reduced Range (1/2) -10% (1/2D 3, Max 5), Trigger (Firestone) -20%, Nuisance effect (Firestone/breath Reeks) -5%) [7], Racial Memory [+40]

Disadvantages:
Bad Grip (1) [-5], Cannot Speak [-15], Chummy [-5], Cold Blooded [-10], Distractable [-1], Easy to Read [-10], Fearfulness (1) [-2], Nosy [-1], Phobia(Red star)(12) [-5], Presentient Bundle* [-15], Semi-Upright [-5], Social Stigma (Valuable property) [-10], Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25]

Features
Early Maturation (1 Turn) [0], Tail.

Optional:
Mindlink (Single Person, Psi -10%) [5] [only if impressed]
Jumper (Time) (Travel time 3 Turns(years) per second, nothing to Breath between] -10%, Psi -10%) [80]

*Presentient Bundle (Taboo Traits IQ based skills harder than easy, Spoken languages), innumerate, Non-Idographical

Points [Not counting Jumper]
Gold/Bronze : 58 (63 if impressed)
Brown: 38 (43 if impressed)
Blue/Green: 28 (33 if impressed)

Last edited by roguebfl; 04-02-2010 at 03:58 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Firelizards in 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
Warp (+10 Reliable +50%, Psi -10%, Uncontrlible -10%, Travel time 1 second in *Between* per 2,000 miles -10%, Keeps orientation and momentum (bases on 3e) -50%, Loose Body parts that intersect with solids (based on 3e) -50% ) [20],

Telescan aka Detect (Personally Known Beings (base 20), Precise +100%, Increased range (100x) +60%), Psi -10% ) [50],

Tail.
The above Are features I'm unsure on. the Tail is only really usefull fur grabbing on to things. (they are Knowen to wrap ther Tails wrong their Human compions' necks to keep balance on their Sholders)
Old 06-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I don't think that Firelizards were that smart. I'll have to ask my sister, she was much more into Pern that I ever was.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
I don't think that Firelizards were that smart. I'll have to ask my sister, she was much more into Pern that I ever was.
Firelizard were Very smart when not confrunted with the limations of being Presentiant 8) [Also they IQ is kinda needed for Warp and Telelocation] But i punded in to the Valuble prpty disadvate the fact the Most humans will not think of them being smart
Old 06-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Well, okay, yeah, they're going to need loads of IQ for warp. And I'll accept that as a valid point.

BUT, my mother's dog was very intelligent. I know that firelizards were intelligent, but I didn't think they were as smart as or smarter than an average human. Again, I'll ask my sister. She's probably got them written up in 3e somewhere. She loves shoulder dragons almost as much as shapeshifting.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Well, okay, yeah, they're going to need loads of IQ for warp. And I'll accept that as a valid point.
You could use Reliable instead.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
They already have Reliable+10.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
They Already have tha maximun +10 reiable.

the problem is they can Routenly take -14 (-8 for distance -2 for remote viewing, -4 for prep time) on the Warp check. and do it succfully.

as to commparing to Dogs is not quite. Remeber Melony has taken the intives to do get her Pipes unasked when she wanted avoided being bullied.

Last edited by roguebfl; 06-06-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
the probe is they can Ruteeial take -14 (-8 for distance -2 for remote viewing, -4 for prep time) on the Warp check. and do it succfully.
Okay, let me translate:
The problem is that they can regularly take -14 (-8 for distance, -2 for remote viewing, -4 for prep time) on the Warp check, and do it successfully.

I don't remember if firelizards would also need Jumper? I know that some Dragons would need it.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I don't remember if firelizards would also need Jumper? I know that some Dragons would need it.
Yep Jumper(Time) would a approate for them, IF your campain allouded it. though there is no instance of the books of Firelizards using it. but the they are the sources of the Dragon's abilities to do so.

Tags
aliens, pern, racial templates, templates